Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Avoiding Rust

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Flykick, Dec 24, 2009.

1. I live near the beach and have had problems with surface rust forming on my bike - usually bare metal surfaces like bolts, upper fork legs etc.

I've tried spraying WD40 onto a rag then wiping it on the exposed surfaces to form an oil barrier, but it doesn't seem to work too well. Do you guys have any tips you'd like to share on avoiding surface rust?

2. A marine spray on product called fish oil is a smelly but effective solution. Its a coating that dries on and forms a protective layer.

It may get a bit sticky if you spray it into bolts etc.

Ive always sprayed the underbody and other rust problem areas of my cars with it to stop rust.
  3. Linseed oil does much the same job as fish oil but smells nicer. Bunnings sell it by the gallon (or used to when I last bought some).
  4. Ah yeah, I didn't think of linseed oil. I did some reasearch after you mentioned it, it's meant to be pretty effective without getting sticky or smelly.

Although I have heard that you should avoid putting it on exhausts because like most oils, it can create a pretty acrid smoke if it burns.
  5. Inox is pretty amazing stuff. Spray it on pretty much every part of the bike (except the brakes) and wipe it off. Removes rust if it's there and prevents more rust. Also makes it much easier to clean dirt and grease off.
  6. I don't see how they can work without the vehicle being immersed in an electrolyte.

Better to spend your cash on fish oil and Brasso IMHO.