Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Avoid rear intrusion on your person.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by smee, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Filthy buggers,

It's about some tips about how to best avoid or at ;east minimise rear enders whilst we are still not allowed to filter.
    http://motorbikewriter.com/avoid-motorcycle-rear-enders/

• Like Like x 1
  2. Is it true that if you get hit from behind, and your vehicle hits the one infront, that you are liable for that? Sounds insane to me

3. Depends on your insurance, and their insurance, and who yells loudest.

Essentially, the car in front will be asked "Did you feel one bump, or two?"

If they say one, you're in the clear.

If they say two, you're likely to be sent a letter of demand for half the damages, as it means you hit them, and then someone hit the pair of you.

Mileage varies widely on this, and I've never heard of someone feeling two bumps when a bike is involved. I suspect it'd be more bump and splat.

4. Hardly original, but does bare repeating.

This is, or should have been, covered in the NSW pre-learner's course.

The only bit missing is..... use foot brake ONLY when stopped.

If you do get a nudge from behind, and you are holding the bike on the hand/front brake, unless the front wheel is dead straight, you are probably going to fall over.

Hit from behind with foot brake on, you have a reasonable chance of not falling over.

5. Suprising how many bikes I see with no brake applied at all waiting at the lights.
    I just wonder if cars mistakenly think the bike is moving and that's why there's a greater chance of being rear-ended?

6. I always look to bring the car in behind me slowly.

It's a technique that I learnt in my driving courses 18 years ago, but is even more useful if you're on a bike and not filtering. Whether there are no cars behind you yet or one coming up, I'll slow down and stop about 2 to 3 car lengths before the car in front of me.

As I keep the bike in gear, I watch my rear view mirror. As the car pulls up, I'm watching his speed and determining if he is slowing. Now, if he fails to slow down, I still have quite a bit of room in front to continue moving up or even get onto the throttle and filter through. However, if the car stops and the car behind him has stopped, I'll then pull up to create space between him and I. Now he's actually about a car length or two behind me.

This tends to have a chain reaction. Not only did I stop the car behind me from coming to close to me, but he has also stopped all the cars behind him much further back, putting me at less risk even if there are rear enders behind me, or if he happens to be rear ended, I'm about two car lengths ahead of him, and would have time to react by getting out of there.

Usually what happens is that once I move up, he'll move up too, and so will everyone else, but they are doing so from a full stop and I have successfully moved everyone up slowly. Sometimes he just sits where he initially stopped, leaving me some good space around me.

You really do have the ability to control the traffic around you by using that technique and ensuring you put yourself if the safest of situations, even when you can't filter.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeah I do this sometimes, too. I thought I invented it LOL.

8. That sentence was incredibly misleading. Made me not bother reading the rest of the article.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hope we all signed the survey!!

10. Thanks for the tips. Rear intrusion would really ruin my day.

11. Mine too! :wideyed:

But it was a great headline Smee. :D

12. Indeed. I use a similar tactic whilst in the car as well. I normally pull up between a car to two's length from the car in front of me. If the traffic behind me has built up and stopped, I may move forward a little, but I always allow myself some room (at a minimum the ability to see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of me as well as some road) for maneuvering (such as if the car in front breaks down, or other unforeseen events etc) as well as a 'safety gap'.

I've been rear ended before, and having this gap means that I haven't collided with the car in front after been shunted forward. Saved the front of my car (allowed me to drive away) as well as additional insurance woes, and potential additional injury.

These days you've got to drive/ride for everyone else around you as well.

13. As a former defensive driver trainer that now rides, I'd like to share other preventative measures:
    • Mirrors before braking
    • Same as Justin Stacks, slow earlier and easier. This is part of Acceleration Sense, where you are timing your approach to catch up to the traffic ahead as they get back up to speed
    • Leave at least 2 seconds gap to have room in front not only stopping, but also for accelerating to overtake. This gap also extends your forward vision to identify and plan for the most-progressive lanes.
    • When queued behind a slow driver, make them visible to the tailgater behind you.
    • If you are a night rider, consider adding 3M Diamond reflective adhesive red tape at the rear of the bike.