Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Avoid getting rear ended - Is it possible?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rid3r, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

Just thinking today: Is it actually possible to avoid getting rear-ended in situations like at an intersection or at the lights?

Some googling suggests that you should check your rear mirrors whilst stopping and stopped (fair call - may be it's just me, but can people actually tell whether a car will stop in time by looking in the mirrors? Hmm), or stopping in the right or left wheel track to zoom off if you see some hoon up your a$$ (again, is this possible - unless he's doing like 50km over the limit, then yes, that'll stand out), but even then, by stopping in the right or left wheel track, you're in danger of cars from either sides hitting you...

Hmm.. interesting question I think..

What do you guys reckon?
  2. I'm not sure you can completely avoid it but you can certainly reduce the chances.

I keep the bike in gear and keep an eye on cars approaching just in case.

Occasionally, if a car seems to be approaching a bit quickly I'll give the brake a few taps (make the brake light flash).
  3. If I'm worried about being rear ended at a set of lights, I'll release my brake, then reapply it.

But stopping in a wheel track, shouldnt you be doing that anyway?
  4. When slowing for lights, ALWAYS keep an eye in your mirrors, and if possible always filter to the front of the que.

yep keep it in gear for quick avoidance action if required.

Oh and a pocket full of black jelly beans to ward off the evil crash monkeys..
    Hey it works for me!
  5. The best way to avoid it I found out when I rode home with no clutch cable and just mounted the gutter at traffic lights and rode around them. I had to take a few diversions and modify my way home but never stopped.

What you have described is sensible. Angle the bike a bit, leave a way out, eye on mirrors, in gear, flash brake lights, etc
  6. Lane split always. At the front stay in gear.
  7. I'd be interested if anyone commenting has actually had it happen, because if you HAVE you would know that it happens so quickly there's virtually nothing you can do about it.

The basic precautions outlined above will help limit the possibility, but if some dozy git is going to get you, he or she probably will....

And then jump out of the car and say something like "Geez, mate, I'm sorry, I wasn't watching what I was doing..."
  8. Impossible to avoid all the time because you're basically a sitting duck..

You really need to constantly monitor whats happening behind..
    One of the obvious ways would be to filter to the front where possible (one of the important arguments for making it totally legal).

You could also give your self some space to the vehicle ahead which is what saved me from a lot of damage last year.
    Got hit on the rear of the exhaust last year but I had enough room to steer the bike to the side of the car in front rather than right into the back of it and ended in front of the car ahead.

Unfortunately in many situations you're quite limited on what you can do.
  9. ^ that's important.
    always leave space in front of you
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I had a hot girl on a scooter drive like a wobbly gronk so I overtake. On her L's, midnight in the city near the Intercon. We pull up at the the lights, she is next to me. She was saying something, I turn to chat, and she is blabbering spanish in her iPhone. I just smirked and looked forward in disbelief.
    She then starts fiddling with her music. I'm like WTF? Her deadset head was down on her playlist oblivious to the world. Green comes, she misses it, I look back to see her fiddling to shove it in her handbag. True story 2 nights ago.

All I could think is wow, you are going to die soon.

TL/DR - Pay attention, keep it in gear, have an out and don't play with your fucking iPhone.

11. This would be my take as well. I've been rear ended in a car, I stopped, looked behind me and by the time I realised I was going to get hit, I got hit. No time to do anything.

I tend to sit between cars if I can't filter to the front.
  12. If I'm approaching lights where I know I am going to have to stop I tend to slow down nice and slowly, gently drag rear brake to show my brake light as early as possible.

Other than that, filter everywhere.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. I have been hit, you may be right that you cant do anything about it.

I wasnt paying attention to rear, it was night and raining. I went in the left lane which had only just started, so thought that it should be safe as most cars are lazy and wouldnt change lanes. I would have split but there was a cop two cars up and i couldnt be bothered risking standing in the rain arguing about lane splitting.

Car hit my pipe it goes into his headlight,right pipe into left headlight. It was probably only walking speed didnt fall over. I was all the way over in the gutter. Guy gets out is obviously drunk, i get cop, guy refuses breath test and paddywagon comes for him.

Damn lucky.

Having said that i also moved out of the way from right lane onto ped crossing in left lane for fwd that locks it up and slides into ped crossing next to me.

I think you can make a difference.
  14. Yeah, I guess besides lane filtering to the front of the queue, there really isn't many other ways to effectively avoid this situation.

Yes, you could try to make yourself more visible by flashing your brake lights, slowing down much earlier and all that, but they can still clean you up (it's just so hard to judge things happening from behind (even with mirrors) - as opposed to things in front or to your sides - human nature I guess).

Thanks for the ideas all :)
  15. Look at it this way.

Maybe you won't be able to do anything about it when push comes to shove. But if you don't see the bastard coming 'cos you're not looking or can't get out of the way because you didn't leave an escape route, you definitely won't be able to avoid it.

I'll take the improvement in odds.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. I've been rear ended at traffic lights once.

I arrived at the red light first, looked in mirrors, stayed in gear and watched the car behind me approach and slow and stop behind me. All was safe. I looked elsewhere and BOOM. The red p-plater behind me decided to plant their foot on the accelerator and launch their car into the rear of my bike.

I nearly got pushed in front of a mack truck. Still can't believe how close i came to dying over something so amazingly stupid.

EDIT: There is a lot of good advice in here, but sometimes i think it can be pretty much totally out of your control.
  17. Pretty much what everyone else has said. Always be watching behind you, stop in a wheel track with enough room in front for you to make a hasty lane split if necessary. Tap brakes before braking, if your bike is loud let the engine rev a bit as you downshift, making other drivers aware of your existence - no good if you're too busy watching the guy tailgating you that you don't see the other driver deciding to pull into your lane from their stopped position to move up the extra few carspaces.

It usually boils down to don't trust anyone, ride everyone's out to get you. You never know what's going through the minds of the other road users.
  18. When you're approaching a red, slow from waaaay back, this manages the car behind you so they slow on your terms.

If you are first without anyone behind you, stop a car length or two before the line, stay in gear, clutch in & keep an eye on the mirrors. As a car approaches, flash the brake lights. If no response, move forward. If the nose doesnt dip, aim for the white line or next lane.

I'm with Pat, better to give yourself a fair chance than none. I'm 1 for 2. First: Rear ended in a car, saw it happening, couldn't get away fast enough. Second: Almost rear ended on the bike - by a bike. Got away in time... They stopped right where I was! (if you think a car is hard to judge in your mirrors, try a bike!)

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
  19. Awesome info guys, thanks! (y)
  20. Apart from space between you and what ever is in front, I tend to angle my bike to which ever side is clearer or towards the median strip if present.

Been rear ended, was not fun but I was fortunate to be right near the centre line (LHS of righ hand lane) when hit, otherwise I'd be a metal and rider sandwich.