Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aviation Documentaries

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by blackadder, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Recently I had the pleasure of taking a joy flight with Tristar Aviation in a Cessna 152 over Melbourne. The pilot made the mistake of giving me a go at the controls- I was hooked. I loved every minute of it.

After we landed I begged him to go again, but this time I would take a shot at take off and landing. So off we went into the training area where I did a few turns and so on. It all cost me ~$70.. benefit of being in aerospace and mech eng at Monash. :D

When I finish my current studies I'm looking forward to taking some proper lessons. But until then, watching aviation documentaries and a good imagination is the best I can do.

I've heard about BBC's "Reaching for the skies" documentaries made in the 80s.. Does anyone know where I can get a digital copy?

Any other aviation documentaries or movies that you would recommend? So far I have:

- The Magic of Flight
    - Legends of Flight
    - Concorde - Flying Supersonic
  2. + 1 for the magic of flight!! Shot in IMAX it is just ... Well... Magical!! :)
  3. History Channel - Dogfights - about 24 episodes.

Torrents available on isohunt
  4. One six right.
    Browse YouTube lots of good clips there
  5. There is an excellent 6 or 8 part american video documentary series on the air war during WWII that I cannot remember the name of (and can't find on the interwebs) but will post for you next time I take a run down to the olds. I dont' know if it ever got a DVD release. It's good because the bloke spends a lot of time talking about the industrial process and the timing involved in getting innovations in design into the air in sufficient quantities to make an impact militarily.

Also, if you are interested in picking up some books that give you the flavour of flying, check out Ernest Gann, esp. Fate is the Hunter. His stuff is mostly fiction, but well realised as its based on his own experiences as a commercial, military transport and bomber pilot.
  6. PilotsEYE.tv

some torrents about.

From 1:18 onwards: Like a boss!

7. And for a very readable and understandable tome on the mechanics of flight, I'd strongly recommend "Stick and Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche.
  8. Depending on your abilities can I suggest "Air Crash Investigation" :)
  9. You may find some of these channels of interest. Welcome to the flying nut religion. Plenty of us here.

... and many more. Hope you have good size download limit.

I find FlightGear a really good, free, open source flightsim. It's not completely bug free, but you get a lot more than you pay for, and the default levels of realism are a good deal higher than the MS stuff.
  10. #11 peter-reebok, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Just started watching clash of wings myself. Good call!

Laden with plenty of archived footage pretty darn fact filled, the commentary is pretty insightful, not the normal drivel.

11. Just saw this. Thanks for that ogden!

I've got a copy now. If anyone wants them, PM me.