Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Average hours to reach competency?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Lumoto, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Hi everyone,

In a bit of a mid life reassessment I decided I'd take up motorcycle riding as a hobby. To at least say that I had tried it and hopefully become accomplished at it in time.

I got my RE learner's almost accidentally, having done the knowledge test for the first time I got 29/30 and it invited me to pay to make it official so I did.

Then I did some minimal reaearch on QRide providers and chose the closest one since I didnt really see a huge difference in overall costs etc. Maybe I chose poorly but I won't say where I am doing it as I have nothing to really compare it to.

Anyhow I've done a couple of lessons and had about 2-3 hours of on-bike time. The instructor reckons I'm above average for skills acquired but I'm still very sketchy on putting things together. I've started getting up to about 40km/h and braking to a stop and beginning to add in downshifting to the mix.

In the last hour I realised I'd been always turning one way and asked whether I could try going the other way and found it challenging to my skills to do so but nevertheless got around. Still doing corners pretty slowly and even in the last hour had two moments where I had to abort a corner because I wasnt looking where I need to be going and my mind was still consolidating the skills of braking a minute beforehand.

I really want to know how much longer I might need to get to assessment stage? The instructors just say you'll know and we'll know but I'm just wondering what the average time is. I started with no experience except pushbike balance etc.

The QRide provider took a deposit to go towards assessment so they kind of lock you into their program somewhat but I'm open to suggestions of other providers who can expedite learning.

My real worries are that the bike provided might be making things more difficult. Its a 125cc and lets just say its pretty worn and loose from what I can tell. For all I know all QRide providers might have beater bikes for learners that have been abused or dropped etc. I dont know.

But it seems I'll be at this for another 6 to 10 hours before I am ready. Ive spent $440 already so that will mean I'm at $900+ for the training and more on top for the assessment. Seems a bit high to me.

Can anyone give me a little advice on average hours or whether I might benefit from changing to another QRide provider and just letting the assessment deposit at this provider go.

2. Here's a tip: don't think too much.
    The riding will come easier if you relax and clear your head. You can't put a time frame on how quickly you learn something. Hopefully you'll realise riding is something you'll constantly be learning and getting better at.
    Just enjoy the ride and keep practising as much as possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I am not very familiar with the QLD assessment system but people learn at different rates so because you take longer or less time that the average doesn't really mean anything. I would guess between 5 - 10 on bike hours but thats a guess.

A lot of times getting the various parts of riding together is just brain training known as kinaesthetic memory. Many disciplines, gymnasts, aerobatics etc use the technique of sitting in a quiet area and going throgh the sequence of inputs required for different manoeuvres. Do that a few times and it starts to become second nature.

If your instructors give you confidence then they are probably doing a good job.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Any phisical skill takes as long as it takes.Being told how to do something and converting that to acualy doing it is a trick of the mind.To me there is usualy this golden moment when you crack it.I have been at riding on and off road for a very long time and I am still learning.There is a big differance between passing some test and being a skilled rider.I spent some time trying to get good at balance point wheelys,till I realised I just didn't have it and probably wount. .I envy those that do.There is lots more to riding than not stalling at traffic lights.

5. It's entirely dependent on the rider and their natural ability coupled with their ability to learn and apply new concepts to their riding.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Been riding for over 15 years, feel like I might be approaching competent soon ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. So you want to ride a motorcycle and your worried about the cost of things. Those two things don't really go together.

As for when you are ready to do a test, that's when you can do it and not fail.

The test's have nothing to do with being a good rider.

8. As stated above, you can put in some 'visualisation' work when off the bike which will help. There is also a thread on here about riding a pushbike to reinforce balance and steering (so that those skills become second nature).

9. From my experience with Q Ride, it takes an absolute beginner at least 10 hrs of training to become competent to do the assessment, but this is a generalization as people learn at different rates. Nearly all Q Ride bikes have been dropped at some point unless you are lucky enough to get a new one. I would be surprised if there was anything wrong with the bikes, but if you are not happy, get them to replace it. They are not allowed to use bikes that cannot pass a pre-ride check. If they charged you $440 for one lesson, then this is not cheap unless it was a private lesson. Most providers charge around $300 and some give discounts if you book training + assessment packages. I am not familiar with the Brisbane Q Ride providers, but as there are so many of them, I suspect that the smaller ones may not be as good as the larger ones. Going cheapest is not always in your best interest.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Why not just go out and buy a bike, and ride it for a bit to get some practice?? Then go for the license?? Or does it not work that way in Qld ??

11. I did the q ride 1 day package $330 ,I had a bit of dirt bike experience from the younger days but Nothing on road bikes.
    i was surprised how completely different road bikes were, at the end of the day everyone in the group passed the assessment.
    8 hours of training and assessment and I was "qualified".
    From my experience the guys at Qride were very patient and went right out of there way to get everybody through, I am still learning every day and 5 months on I can confidently say I'm compitent.

12. what do you want to be, competent, proficient, expert, god-like?

Aim on young person! Go for the best you can be, because unless you stop, your always going to learn something. Of Course you can always learn god bad and different ways to do things as well .. get a mentor, do some courses. Anythign which teaches you is money well spent. And if your mentor rides a ducatti, it'll only cost you a coffee :p

tbh, go for god-like.

13. Thank you for this. I think it will require at least that for me too. Can I ask which provider that was with?

I'm sorry that there was a but of confusion with my post.

In QLD you can't ride alone without a supervisor riding with you so learning on my own is not an option. None of my friends rides and I have no mentors etc to turn to. So I rely on the QRide system. I think ultimately the question was more about whether I should switch providers since I have seen a place in Moorooka that gives 2 days of training at $300 a day with a cap of $600 so any extra training is on them. Thats about 10-12 hrs of training by their estimate.

I appreciate all the answers though. I really just want to get the basics done and I realise that its all learning from then on till your last ride whenever that might be.

I must say that I am already addicted and wish I'd done it sooner but I had a very anti-motorcycling environment to contend with for a long time.

Loving the website and look forward to learning more.

14. So I guess the question is should I stick to current QRide provider or switch to another provider?

I naively selected the closest one to me without much research. I've seen other places now that are recommended by multiple motorcycle dealers and some names crop up more on the forum here vs others.

Stick to current or switch... That is the question.

15. Have you got a bike of your own? We have an informal mentoring program our only one in Brisbane is Bumblebeeman1150Bumblebeeman1150 if you have a bike and he has some time he may be able to give you some help.

Not having friends or mentors that ride does make it more difficult for you and we have all faced the anti motorcycle naysayers. You are a temporary Australian, an organ donor etc etc all the downers that people feel they have the right to heap on you.

In the end I feel they are lesser beings who never will feel the joy that motorcycling will bring. They are more to be pitied than listened to. (y) You will get there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Ama at Nerang Gold Coast if that's close enough to you they were great, got me through in a day

17. Did you have prior experience?

18. No bike yet. I want to learn with normal motorcycle clutch gears so I can eventually ride anything I like, and I know some will probably snigger but I want to buy a 300-650 cc scooter as my first "bike".

Probably a BMW C600 or Yamaha TMAX so that I can just twist and go, learn roadcraft etc without gears to worry about for at least 12 months. Depending on how things go I'll probably add another bike or two if I go on to a full R licence course etc. I'm thinking full version of MT-07 when it is released with ABS or maybe a BMW NineT. All just ideas at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Honestly, just stick to it. I had no experience and went straight to the Qride course, I had never owned motorbike and passed. That doesn't mean I was confident, but good enough to ride. I remember when I bought my bike, I was a bit disappointed because I wasn't riding with confidence, especially when it came to corners and at times I thought I made a bad choice. But if you just stick to it, take your time, and just keep riding on roads you know. Eventually the confidence will come, and you will realise that you will be riding without over thinking everything.

• Like Like x 1
  20. We lived on a few acres so I had a mini bike but that was about 25 years ago so I was very new to the whole thing again and was extremely nervous I have to say.