Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

AV/HD senders and receivers

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ageg, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone on here has foxtel or somehing set up in their house and have a AV or HD sender reciever set up in their house. I had foxtel installed today and want to set it up in my room but cant have a wall cable installed due to us renting.

So i have done some research and found i can set up a sender/reciever type thing where i can watch whats in the lounge in my room. But, i need to know, cause my foxtel is set up through HDMI should i buy a hdmi sender and reciever or just go with a AV one?, and if anyone has any pros and cons of dong this...

2. HDMI is a form factor - it's the shape of the cables and connectors etc...
    It's an acronym for "High-Definition Multimedia Interface".
    You can't "send" HDMI...
    AV is an acronym for "Audio-Visual", and describes the signal (sound and picture) that might travel along a HDMI cable, for example.
    You can send AV...
    Hope that helps.
  3. Sort of....
    I know what you mean by the terms of it, but its giving me the choise to buy a wireless HD sender or a wireless AV sender..av sender is $130 and HD is $300.....

ohhh i just got it after rereading what you have wrote a few times lol....so really im just paying a few extra hundred for a cable and maybe a little better picture quality?
  4. Now that you've clarified with your post above, you can think of the two options as:

1. Wireless high-definition audio-visual sender; and
    2. Wireless standard-definition audio-visual sender.

The HD one will give you better picture and sound quality, but only if you're actually able to transmit the HD signal, and (of course) you have a HD TV to watch it on in the bedroom.
    (Some devices might let you watch in HD, but they won't let you re-transmit HD because it makes it easy to copy etc - I don't know how your Foxtel STB works in that respect...)
  5. ahh ok :), thanks for your help Nitekreeper
  6. dick smiths have one, works well, and auto re-transmits your remote.
  7. You actually can send HDMI. There are a few (completely unreliable) wireless HDMI senders on the market but I would steer well clear of them. There are wired HDMI senders, some of which work well and others that simply do not, but having a wired unit would more or less defeat the purpose if you cannot run a cable in to the second room anyway.

1 option could be a wireless AV sender unit (composite video and LR audio). Some of these can work quite well depending on the environment. Cheap ones will work sometimes but as soon as you flick a light switch, use the microwave, phone or anything electronic, they fall to pieces.

Another more reliable option would be a decent quality AV - RF injector system. If there is a TV antenna point where the foxtel is now and a TV antenna point in the room where you want it to also be, you can inject the foxtel AV signal through the tv antenna cabling. Advntage is you can also inject the remote control IR signal aswell meaning you would be able to control Foxtel from the second room also. Easy to set up. Picture quality is on par with a standard wireless AV sender as mentioned above.

Having said that, if you do have TV antenna points in both rooms, and dont care about the remote control option, you could always just feed the RF output from the Foxtel box to the TV antenna point. (feed foxtel signal back in to the TV antenna cabling) Then in theory, this would feed back in to the second rooms antenna point allowing you to simply tune foxtel in to the relevant analogue channel. That is of course assuming that Foxtel still support an RF output from their boxes. Ive done it before but it was a few years ago now.
  8. Yes, the HD sender may well plug in to a HDMI port (what else would it use?).
    But you still can't send a plug...
  9. And likewise, you cant send a composite video connector or analogue audio connector through a composite video AV sender. lol

I totally understand youre saying HDMI is the connector being used, but you can send the HDMI signal (regardless of what digital audio or video format is being used) through a wired or wireless AV sender. Therefor my comment "you actually can send HDMI". HDMI in not just the form factor or shape of the connector.

10. So we agree then?
  11. Agree that you actually can send hdmi? Yup. ;)
  12. #12 jag131990, Jan 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Only if you add the word signal after, else it just sounds stupid.
  13. Before the OP goes out and buys an AV sender unit, he will need to check if the Foxtel box outputs its signals using "Macrovision" encryption. If it does then the AV sender most likely won't work.

I had a hell of a time convincing a local DSE retailer to take the AV unit that I bought there back because of this very problem.
  14. Works for me on fox, HD
  15. You may find sending the Foxtel output to multiple TV's is a breach of the terms and conditions of use,

but only if you get caught........
  16. #17 bambam_101, Jan 30, 2012
    Lol. Not really. Given that HDMI IS the signal. Including audio/video/data/control/encryption etc. (And HDMI is also the form factor and name of the cable used to connect it)
  17. #18 kma_jg, Feb 1, 2012
    I was also wondering how I can send my IQ2 output (HDMI) to more than one TV. I have coax and Ethernet going to all the TVs from a central location, so it is easy to patch anything to anywhere.
    Any specific hardware that you can recommend for this?