Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Auxill powerpoint - not working?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by titus, May 25, 2011.

1. This has got me foxed. For using with phone and intercom, I Installed an auxilliary power socket (cig light type) under the seat, tapping into the tail-light power supply. It all checked out ok with a borrowed multimeter, and still does - 11.8a.

But putting the phone charger into it, there is nothing happening at the phone, doesn't light up the LED in the charger. Same with intercom charger. Borrowed a GPS - same again. Nothing at the charger(s).

I tried a socket double adapter in case there was something wrong with the contact points inside the plug, and I got power at the end of the adaptor. Double checked chargers and power supply - all ok.

What have I done wrong?

2. You mean 11.8V right?

I'd say the contacts as well, but if you've eliminated that, that only leaves reverse polarity.

Check your polarity.

3. Yup - check polarity. Also, check that the contacts are making a clean contact.

4. +1 to above that would be my first test. The frame of the cig lighter plug should be Battery Neg and the center pin battery pos.

5. 11.8v, yes (sorry MV).
    I'm sure the contacts are ok but I can't remember which way it was wired in so maybe it is reversed. Will check.
    Ta.