Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Auto to Manual

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by polly007, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Hi

I have a question which maybe somebody could answer because they have gone through the process.

I am over 30 and on Red P's after the MOST. I did my MOST on my scooter so I am restricted to an auto until the full licence.

So far no probs.

Now I would like to learn to ride a manual. I called the RTA & they really had no idea, they told me I couldnt learn the manual until my full licence. I got the person to double check, waited 10 minutes at least and they came back with another answer. I had to do the MOST on a manual to drive a manual.

I want to learn to ride a manual so I have to do the MOST first ????? Yes she told me there are no exceptions.

So, how do I learn the manual if my licence doesnt permit. Go back and do prelearner on a manual ??

Cant find anything on this specific issue and the RTA were no help.
  2. In the best tradition of licensing authorities - you may need to wait till you're off your P's to do this.

Alternatively call one of the reputable training organisations (HART springs to mind) and ask. They will quite likely have dealt with this before and may know exactly what you need to do.
  3. True Tony.

I found it crazy when they said I needed my to do the MOST before I could learn to ride the manual. I even emailed the RTA, who responded by telling me they couldnt discusss my matter electronically but to call them.

Maybe, I though I should just do prelearner L's and have it done with. But then does that cancel out my current P's. Yes Minister.