Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

AUSTROADS Lessons from In-depth Crash Investigation

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by Spots, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Some light reading:

AUSTROADS has developed a research report on the nature of 700 crash investigations in South Australia (300 metropolitan Adelaide, 400 rural), making particular comment on the quality of traffic crash data routinely collected by police when compared to the outcomes of more thorough crash investigations.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Not much in this report about motorcycling but it does have some buckets and bouquets for us. The first proper mention has it all - including a smack in the teeth for the TAC.

The next significant mention of motorcycles is interesting. It lists a series of 7 motorcycle accident causes - only one related to behaviour, two related to training, two related to other vehicle problems and two related to road engineering. I see this as another smack in the TAC teeth - as they are entirely focussed on behaviour.

How much evidence does there need to be in the road safety sphere for a change in road safety strategy??

• Like Like x 3
  3. I don't like the sound of "eliminate filter right turn". If that means what I think it does (give red and green arrows at every signalled intersection) then it may be a win for safety at the expense of convenience. Especially since lights in Australia never turn off during off peak.
  4. A few lights in Perth have red/green turning arrows during the day and no arrows at night when the traffic is lighter.
  5. Intersection near us has just had that... Shits me now because it has completely screwed up the flow for the intersection
  6. Head on with centreline encroachment seems to be a scarily repetitive cause in these reports and reading the fatality threads. Nothing that I have seen from any state safety authority addresses this. Speed is not a cause because even if both vehicles are only doing 40kmh a head on is going to be a problem.
  7. Thanks for summarising that Rob; The report came through a source at work but things are pretty flat out so I didn't have time to extract the more notable chunks.
  8. Most of the signalled intersections in my part of Melbourne have the arrows turned off except when it is convenient for the prioritised direction in peak hour. IMO this is eliminating much of the safety benefit for little gain in 'convenience'.
  9. The REAL solution to this is frequent and well designed overtaking lanes a la New Zealand. The cheap and shitful Australian alternative is more solid double lines.
  10. I don't think that these are overtaking collisions. They are single lane country roads where one/both vehicles encroaching the centre on curves.
  11. OK, gotcha. My mistake.
  12. The real solution is widening the road if necessary and then placing a barrier between the lanes so that vehicles physically cannot encroach on the opposite lane. Of course that would require shitloads of money and work so it will not happen.
  13. it is happening... in the worst possible way.

I believe each of Victoria, NSW and Tassie have at least one of these 2+1 WRB barrier arrangements.
  14. Well, it would be better if the barriers were motorcycle friendly of course. But even if they aren't, at least they will still stop the oncoming traffic from getting into my lane and I am prepared to accept the responsibility for not running into them from my side. I consider this an improvement because I trust myself more than I trust other drivers.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Yup, agree with that. If it stops the cagers who can't stay in their lane from coming across in to mine then it's better than 5/10cm of white paint
  16. What this line of thinking will eventually lead to is a dogma that no-one can be trusted to stay in their own lane, and the widespread installation of centre-line WRBs along winding roads. Overtaking will be even more a thing of the past than it is now. Are you sure that's what you want?
  17. Reducing overtaking opportunities would be regrettable, yet I have to ask myself what would spoil my day more: getting stuck behind slower vehicle, or getting stuck on the hood of one that crossed into my lane?

In any case the question is moot - high cost of road works pretty much guarantees the use of centre-line WRB will be limited.
  18. Getting stuck in a slow moving conga line tends to arc up the less zen drivers and they start making stupid decisions in an effort to appease their rising stress. This is more likely to happen than someone crossing the white line.

Next time you're in a conga line, have a look at your own reactions or the reactions of the people in the line. They start getting itchy and looking around for opportunities to get free flowing again...