Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Australia's most expensive cup of coffee?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by vic, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Shelley Markham
    April 12, 2007 - 10:59AM
    The Age

The lush tropical hinterland of Townsville, in north Queensland, is not where a southerner spoilt by the multicultural cuisine of Melbourne would expect to find Australia's most expensive cup of coffee.

But Hervey's Range Heritage Tea Rooms located at the top of the Hervey Range, west of Townsville, now has a $50 cup of coffee on the menu.

The rare Kopi Luwak beans that make the expensive brew are retrieved from the droppings of the Luwak, a cat-like member of the civet family which is found in the jungles of Indonesia.

Tea room owner Allan Sharpe said the Luwaks eat the ripe coffee cherries, but the inner bean is not digested, meaning they can be retrieved from the animal's droppings.

The beans, which are then washed and given only a light roast so as to not destroy the complex flavours - cost $1250 per kilogram.

If you can get past the thought of drinking something extracted from animal droppings, the taste of the coffee is actually quite sweet and smooth.

The tea rooms were once the Eureka Hotel and provided overnight accommodation for bullock teams and Cobb and Co Coaches en route to the gold fields at Ravenswood and Charters Towers.

The historic split log inn - built in 1865 - has been lovingly transformed back to its former glory by Allan and his wife Michelle Sharpe.
    <snip>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/travel/the-50-cup-of-coffee/2007/04/12/1175971226511.html

2. Gives "This coffee tastes like sh1te" a whole new meaning

3. In the words of the Great Austin Powers.......

"Its' a bit nutty..."

4. It was begging to be said, as I'm sure Vic expected, and, Tim, you said it :LOL:.

5. I tried the equivalent in Vietnam - only they use weasels not Luwaks.
    Sure wasn't $50 a cup - and you can buy the beans for about $14 aussie a kilo. Someone is making some money on this!

Makes quite a nice cup of coffee without any of the tastes that imediately spring to mind!

6. :shock: no way not me ever. I will never inbibe or eat any food (apart from honey) that has passed though an animals digestive tract.

7. There was a doco on foxtel about it too

8. What about chicken eggs?

9. That is teh reproductive tract, not Digestive...

10. smart arse. :mad: i canfeel my ocd adjusting to washing eggs every morning...

11. Phew... :roll: thank god... pass me the caviar and "sweet" breads!

12. Sorry hate to inform you but chickens only have ONE exit :LOL:

Chicken anatomy 101

cloaca

The cloaca or vent is a chamber common to the digestive and urogenital systems. It is responsible for the elimination of faeces, urine AND the passage of eggs or seminal fluid.

:LOL: :LOL:

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/27_2705_ENA_HTML.htm

13. Looks like that $50 is gonna stay in my pocket....I only drink tea.. :p

14. oh no... fcuk it if people have been stealing chiken eggs since domestication with little or no problems fine... so i wash my eggs it came from its arse... now i have a picture of a cow shitting an egg in my head... I know eggs come from chickens but no has an arse as big or can shit like a cow.

15. Yes, but depending on your locality, the water you make it with has probably been through more than one human digestive tract.... :p

16. they dont eat it, they spit on it and rub

17. And millions of mammals, unknown numbers of birds, the odd inosaur, the fish have screwed in it etc.

Praise be to beer - at least it kills the nasties.

18. I can hear the noise as thousands of Ducati owners across the country start their long journeys to get this $50 cup of coffee and show of their genuine Ducati leathers.