Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Australian Tax Office

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Makybe05, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Hey Im frantically searching around for my Australian Tax File Number at the moment and cant find it on the piece of paper that i received a while back. Does anyone know if you can get it over the net? That is not actually apply for one, just tell me what my actual number is, just that my new employer wants it by tomorrow morning.

2. It's on last years Notice of Assessment. Or ring your bank tomorrow and "confirm" they have the correct number or ring the ATO and just ask them. They will ask you some questions but you will get there. They may even answer the phone now given its tax time.

Call centre information
    Opening hours - 8am to 6pm weekdays.

We are closed on weekends and public holidays.

Business tax enquiries – 13 28 66

Information about business income tax, fringe benefits tax (FBT), goods and services tax (GST), pay as you go (PAYG) and activity statements, including lodgment and payment, accounts and business registration (including Australian business number and tax file number), and dividend and royalty withholding tax.

Personal tax enquiries – 13 28 61

Enquiries about retirement, family tax benefit, baby bonus, tax file number, pay as you go (PAYG) – including activity statements, Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP), Student Financial Supplement Scheme, account balance or replacement cheque, preparation of an online tax return, general income tax, lodgment and notices of assessment.
  3. This may or may not apply, but even child support have it, so you could give them a call in the morning and ask them. It will also be on any group certificates that you will have received this year.
  4. Yea okay, no dramas ill ring them early tomorrow morning before i head off. Thanks guys, much appreciated. Exciting times too, just got my new job this week and earning some $$$. For ze motorbike. Think i might invest in shares short term to make a bit of money to help pay for the motorbike. Maybe i should start a new thread to get opinions on short term shares??
  5. If you want to save then spend, start an ING savings account with a direct debit the day after pay-day.
    You can move the money back out of savings via online banking anytime you like, no fees or anything, and the interest is ok.

You're not going to make 'fast money' buying shares, unless you're buying low and selling high with the kind of capital that would buy you a Ducati anyway :)
  6. + 1 for ING
    Shares are for long term (10 years) unless you have been tipped off on something :LOL:

I'm off to the states in 3 weeks purely because of ING (and some self control) :LOL:
  7. when you say 'If you want to save then spend' what do you mean? Yea im looking at opening a savings account. So ING have pretty good raps on them?

And about the share thing its just that ive got a bit of money in share atm, and had a pretty good experience with it. I'd only be looking at making maybe 150 dollars maybe not much (Better than sitting in the bank??)
  8. saw an ad in the financial part of the age for rabobank. you can ONLY access/transfer money online (ie. no branches, no phone banking even), but the interest rate is 6.60%, which is rather good. does anyone have any experience with them? i've been past their head office in utrecht, holland, but that tells me jack about how they are as a bank...

9. Lots of accounts offer 6.00+ now I have found of recent. I.e http://www.abetterdeal.com.au/TeleNet_Saver/index.asp

I found http://www.ratecity.com.au/ is good

A good link on that pages goes to http://www.ratecity.com.au/savings-accounts/highest-rates/

I'm thinking about putting a bit of $$ away and were checking out a few accounts and found this site, it's handy :)
  10. I've got an ING account, had it for a few years, bit of a pother to set up (have all your info/details on hand before you start application tho - from memory there's heaps of crap to fill out, and it takes a week or so activate from memory??)
    On the plus side, i've had no trouble with them, access is online only and fairly easy to transfer money to and from, 6.6% interest is calculated daily, no fees to withdraw (unlike some high interest accounts, where you lose that months interest if you make a withdrawal.) Only drawback (could be a positive tho) is that there's a delay on transfers back into your day to day access account, ie on weekends i believe it comes through on the monday. So, could be a pain if you wanted the money quickly, but could be good as it stops impulse withdrawals... your call
    I've also got a westpac high interest savings account that is online only, starts at 5.25% interest, no fees, but it's instant access, so you can jump online and transfer funds between accounts and access it right away in an emergency.
    If you shop around, i'm sure there are heaps of banks offering high interest internet only access savings accounts, it just depends on your situation and how easily you need to access the money.
  11. Ing do have a phone banking system sort of, unlike the other banks you acctualy get to speak to real people. You can call them on 1800133464. Also you can call them to set up your account over the phone. They will fill in all the forms for you, send out the forms and all you have to do is sign them and return them. Then about a week later your account is up and running.
    The information that they will need is your nominated bank account in which you would like to debit and credit your funds.
    eg; bsb, account name and No., how much you would like to transfer and how often and all the other security questions that banks need, but they dont ask you what colour undies you are wearing. :p
    Yes if you transfer the money from Ing into your normal bank account on a Friday, it will not be there until the Monday that is the only bummer thing about it.