Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Australian republicans 'tried to assassinate Queen'

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Banana Fred, Jan 28, 2009.

1.  Top
  2. can i hear 10 minutes of fame
    can i hear dementia

3. No, but I hear a lot of BS...

4. Well, the feeble nature of the attempt gels rather well with the generally embarassing level of incompetence and ineffectuality of the Republican movement generally :wink: .

Assuming there was an incident I'm more inclined to blame the tendency of fcukwits since time immemorial to put things on railway lines for shits and giggles.

5. This sounds like utter rubbish. Logs don't stop trains.

6. Sounds more like local idiots being stupid and local cops big-noting themselves. Chasing assassins is a lot more glamourous than chasing vandals. :LOL:

7. Errrm......they can and have, historically.

Having spent quite a bit of my life interested in rail safety, I'm happy to accept that, given a bit of bad luck, it doesn't take much to derail a train.

I agree that it's unlikely though, and certainly wouldn't be my choice of assasination method for that very reason.

I still think it's more likely to have been bored kids. The fact that it was in a cutting ("hey, let's roll this big log we've just found down this convenient slope") tends to point in that direction IMHO.

8. Very true. Slightly OT but a friend of mine is in the Engineers. For a while they had some monster rifle, a new Accuracy International .50BMG that they were using to warp/shoot out bolts/whatever train lines from a distance (1500 meters plus). Interesting stuff.

Anyone see the interview with the old copper today? He seemed a bit puzzled, he didn't think it was republicans at all. The log was placed after the sweeper train had gone through and before the Queen had, in a space of about 10 minutes. Hardly a serious assasination attempt, surely.

9. "Retired cop seeks 15 seconds of fame"

nothing to see here, move along :roll:.

10. A bloke i work with lays logs that would stop a train!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. More slippery than leaves on the line :LOL: .

12. Thanks Diggler.