Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

australian motorbike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hyo_duc, Oct 20, 2010.

1. sorry to get your hopes up, and correct me if im wrong, but why is there no australian motorbike company out there...
    we have fantastic globally recognised riders whom im sure would help a project like this out there, not to mention we do have the engineering and materials... is it a money thing?
    does no one out there have the ambition to see an australian cruiser.. or even a sportsbike? :p
    the latter id like to see
    Any opinions on what ud like to see labelled an 'australian made' motorbike?
    a cruiser? sportsbike? streetfighter? tourer?
    would it have big showa forks? abs?
    put your thoughts here..

2. a sportbike would be nice, like a 1000cc sportsbike.
    something big and brutal, like a firestorm
    maybe a three cyclinder?
  3. There was one in the mid seventies. two actually. Not bad dirt bikes either.
    For the life of me I can't remember the name. I know one was called a wombat. Correct me if I am wrong ( as I am sure you will ) HODAKA yeh I think that was the name. I remember seeing one @ Amaroo MX track and thinking WTF is that. It went ok thats for sure.
  4. Google Hodaka and you will see the only thing Australian about their 125cc bike was the Wombat name. The MX version was the Combat Wombat and the 100cc the Dirt Squirt. I guess they just liked cheesy names.
    There's been a few attempts at Australian motorcycle manufacturing. I remember one over here in Perth in the early '70s. The Alron 400 was in fact a rebadged Sprite, bought in as a knock down kit. The Alron 250 I think may have been an Ossa engine in a locally built frame. I seem to remember there was also an enduro version but I could be wrong. 40 odd years ago and all that.
  5. Vincent HRD, 1300 and 1600 made to race Daytona,
    Built by Phill Irvings son.
    Phill Irving a Melbournian went to Britain and redesigned the C series Vincents, 1957
    Mono shock frame, 40 years before its time,
    The TT model which won at the Isle of Man, did 163 MPH in third gear, they would not disclose the top speed in fourth gear.
    I know this because my mate wrote a letter to them and that was their reply,
    Company is in Packenham, Vic,
    Base model $75,000-00
    The racing one does over 400 klms per hour,
    A totally redisigned Blackshadow with all the modern bits,
    They make 10 a year,
    I would love one, But the cost is out of the Question,
  6. These guys are Australian, but not road legal.

Technically they are more a motorbike than anything from Honda et al, as it has an electric motor not a petrol engine.
  7. There was a bike wholly designed and a recently build 3 cylinder 300cc? bike here in Melbourne.. wan some awords for design.. the guys who designed were looking to have it built here in Australia.. could not get any funding thing fell on it's arse..

Also there is a bloke in Melbourne who was going to build all Australian cruiser cant remember his name.. but I have seen some photos of prototypes.. mostly Chinese made Harley copies (frames, tin, ware, etc) with an American engine... still it would have ended up being a $20,000+ bike that looked like a Harey Dyna.
  8. They are Chinese built though. I do like the 100cc cruiser though that is so funny, tempting to get one after I destroy my sachs madass, as I need to go sillier next time and the MA makes that difficult.
  9. Are Drysdale still operating?

The V8 cruiser was a work of art.
  10. There have actually been quite a few australian made/assembled bike manufacturers in the past. Tilbrook was one if I remember correctly but thats the only one I can think of at the moment.
  11. Yeah, I was about to say, quick glimpse of the bikes screamed "Chinese".

I'd love to see a serious Australian motorcycle, but I doubt it'll happen without some kind of government subsidy/backing in this market. You have the Europeans making the premium, high margin stuff, the Japanese building the quality volume stuff, and Chinese building the use-em-for-a-year disposable ones. I don't see Aussies being super competitive at any one of those segments any time soon.

If anything, I can imagine someone here starting a small-time specialty bikes or a chassis company, (perhaps like Moriwaki or Britten), and building a name through racing, and using that as a launch pad to build some customer bikes here and there...
  12. It's very hard to get a viable motorcycle industry off the ground. Even in the UK, with all the history, expertise and relatively cheap labour, needed an immense effort and immense investment to get Triumph off the ground. Prior to that, you had cottage industries like Harris (T140 Bonnevilles and overpriced Rotax engined "Matchlesses"), Harris, Spondon, Rickman and Dresda (frames and impractical specials), Norton (sporadic production of interesting but basically unsaleable Wankels) and regular appearences of "THe Next British World Beater" which, with depressing but predictable regularity, didn't. I don't think any of them ever really made money.

The trouble was always that the only people who wanted to make bikes were bike enthusiasts and the trouble with bike enthusiasts making bikes is twofold. Firstly, they tend to build the bikes they want but which, invariably, not enough of the paying public will buy at a price that will sustain a reasonable manufacturing effort. Phils Vincent and Irving built a legend out of this, of course, but legends don't pay the bills, which is why Vincent went bust in 1955 and nobody has achieved anything similar since. Secondly, most bike enthusiasts are not good businesspeople. Few are naturals and fewer still have training. Combine the two factors and it's a recipe for financial disaster and broken dreams.

It took a non-enthusiast, but very savvy businessman (John Bloor) on very good terms with the government of the day, sinking a massive investment into a state of the art factory and with engineers not too proud to copy the best of what Japan was putting out to get Triumph up and running. Even then, I doubt if it would have been possible under any name but Triumph.

It worked, but I don't see it happening here.
  13. I think that it would nearly be impossible to compete with the established manufacturers with a petrol driven machine. I could see a start up being established with electric or other drive.

I hope that Stealth can get a jump with their bike and even carve out a niche. I wish it was road legal would buy one today.
  14. We may as well call the Honda CT110 (Postie) our own.
    Yes I realise that they are owned by an overseas company, but I think I read somewhere that they are built here?
  15. I would love to build my own 500CC Vtwin, make a few dozen a year to sell... I'm about 20 years to late though, the internal combustion engine will be dead before I have a chance... Not going to stop me from trying to build that Vtwin though :D Edit: I doubt the posties are made here, they probably have a small engineering company retrofit the mounts and guards for the mailbags and other gear though.
  16. The auspost version of the ct110 is actually fully made by honda to auspost specs in Japan, remember when you are ordering that many bikes they will make a special batch just for you.