Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Australia issues it's National Road Safety Strategy 2011 -2020: Motorcycling is in the cross hairs

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, May 21, 2011.

1. http://www.atcouncil.gov.au/documents/atcnrss.aspx

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/safety/national_road_safety_strategy/index.aspx

30 percent of the proposed initial strategies in the draft were about speeding enforcement and control and speed limit reductions/reviews. My quick glance tells me that nothing has changed.

The word "training" appears only ONCE in relation to learner motorcyclists. There isn't a single proposal in the document about creating better road users. The whole "safer people" section is about making people more compliant with the road laws. What a travesty.

Motorcyclists get a strong mention in the strategy, mostly negative and mostly about climbing fatality rate. It's stated that there was a 17 percent increase in fatalities between 2000 - 2010. This occured while there was an 82 percent increase in motorcycling in the same time period, but there's no recognition ANYWHERE that this represents a real terms reduction.

I'm saddened for motorcycling. Pollies and well to dos wont put the real terms picture in mind, only the raw stat and that will fire the claims for greater enforcement and control over motorcycling.

There might actually be some road improvements because of the focus, but as sure as anything, we can expect a clamp down on motorcycling based on the one dimensional view of these stats... as if riding utterly within the law at all time will make us safe.

If you want to know what lies ahead on our roads, take the time to read the document.

2. Re: Australia issues it's National Road Safety Strategy 2011 -2020: Motorcycling is in its sights.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/push-for-hoon-car-controls-20110520-1ewsm.html

HOON drivers would be unable to speed under a proposal to fit their cars with a satellite-linked device, in a bid to slash the national road toll by a third by 2020.
    The federal and state governments yesterday released the National Road Safety Strategy that provides a framework to cutting road deaths and serious injuries. The strategy advocates using Intelligent Speed Adaptation, a device using digital speed limit maps and satellite technology.
    ''They have proven effectiveness in improving driver compliance with posted speed limits by warning drivers when they are speeding or by physically limiting the speed of the vehicle,'' the report says.
    Advertisement: Story continues below
    The strategy says that over the next three years putting mandatory speed limiting ISAs in cars driven by repeat speeders and P-plate drivers should be investigated. The strategy urges insurers to encourage voluntary fittings of the device through lower premiums.
    The wide-reaching strategy advocates tougher policing of speed limits, including through greater use of point-to-point cameras, and lowering speed limits in areas known to be at risk of crashes.

Don't be fooled by the Vision Zero rhetoric. This is entirely about building a safety industry that profits from enforcement and control. They aren't interested in ANY alternative that would reduce the need for more control.

3. Makes you want to climb a tall building with a high powered rifle.
    A classic example is the Pacific just north of Cooroy to Gympie. They re-tarred it and dropped the speed to 80. Guess what ??? Even more deaths.
    They could have spent the money adding more places to over take. Making it safer and LESS likely for a driver to take the RISK overtaking where it's not safe or possible. This place has about 1 truck to every 3 cars on it all day.
    A retarded two year old could see the problem and solve it.
    People will always be people. They need to learn this, and design the roads to suit if they are serious about dropping the road toll.
    Get trucks off the road in daylight hours.
    Make it an offense to drive at less than 15% of the speed limit on national motorway and highways.
    This is why I think the less support or any intervention of the government in bikes the better. Yup there dangerous and gunna kill us. So leave us the F alone and worry about your idiot cagers.

4. how about they lower the number of cars on the road and trucks and I guess that the motorcycle injuries will drop

5. Is that road still single lane each way, Its always been a shit road, I used to travel it a lot,

6. The thing to remember here, and share with the world if we can, is that the central issue is not saving lives. The central issue here is social engineering. The central issue here is the spread of the beige revolution, and the desire of cardigan wearing megalomaniacs the world over to control and repress every enjoyable human activity until the world is a uniform beige puree of frustrated little pillow biters.

I don't ride a motorbike because I couldn't afford a new Volvo. I ride because I love it, and somewhere deep down is the memory of being eighteen years old, and being able to crack a woodie at the fantasy of flicking a patrol car the bird, and running away. It's Jimmy Dean - "What are you rebelling against?" - A:"I dunno - What've you got?" It's about Smoky and the Bandit, and sheriff Beaufort T Justice "What we have here, is a complete lack of respect for the law!" It's about the swagman jumping in the waterhole over a sheep - because "You'll never take me alive!"

As motorcyclists, we are a visible symbol of rebellion. As such - we are an obvious target. The issue here is not safety or saving lives, the issue is liberty, and the lack of it.

The issue is that your cardigan wearer looks at a motorbike and says "That looks dangerous. I wouldn't want to ride one of those, or see my kids on one." Which is fine, that's his call to make. But what happens next is he says "Now, what can I do to get rid of them? How can I go about regulating the damn things out of existence?"

7. Yup deadman still almost all single lane. With a few dual overtaking lanes less then 500m long. Otherwise even less places to pass. A death almost every two weeks now, so god knows how many close calls or accidents we don't hear about. And all on the straits like the one at Federal. None on the bends. So Speed is not the issue but lack of it for mine.
    And so true KD. We got a memo at work on Friday that NO PLANKING would be tolerated. FFS. It's fine to send us out on dangerous motorcycles ... but not to lay flat.

8. Even worse the Bruce highway in SEQ;
    2 lanes each way past the Sunshine Coast with plenty of imperfections -110km/h
    Opens up to 3 lanes each way, near new perfect surface, extra wide breakdown lane - 100km/h

EDIT: Guess where all the speed cameras and police radars sit :)

9. The people pushing this agenda are nothing but weak pricks trying desperately to keep employed. This time for ten ****ing years. They are insignificant nothings.

In Victoria
    Lower speed limits have failed.
    Speed Cameras have failed.
    ABS has failed.
    Electronic stability control has failed.
    Air bags have failed.

At the end of the day these failures can only be measured against their OWN YARDSTICK the road toll. It’s not our yardstick but unfortunately for them it is saying their measures are ineffective.

What government would be stupid enough to continue to support an industry that has failed?

The industry’s answer to their failures is to restrict and shackle people in an effort to succeed and remain employed. Extremism!

The truth is that the safety industry has failed. It is costly, restrictive, ineffective, destructive to productivity and economic activity and it steals freedoms from the community. In fact the industry is turning law abiding citizens into criminals.

If anything there needs to be an investigation into the safety industry and whether individuals within the bureaucracy have taken bribes.

Any government that supports further measures put forward by this industry without some form of investigation will be negligent.

The door for liability is now wide open. All it will take is one person to win a case against one of the above measures and it’s all over. The cost to the Victorian community will far outweigh any savings the TAC may have made.

Insurers have had far too much say when it comes to law. This experiment has failed and it’s now time for governments to legislate mandatory cover and payment for certain claims.

It’s not only the road users that have had enough, the flood victims are very angry with insurers as well.

10. Sorry to say that you'll be pushing shit up hill to make the case that those improvements have failed to generate a reduction in the road toll.

I've seen research that gives credit to $speed Cameras$ for all road toll reductions since their implementation.

I've seen research that gives credits vehicle improvements for all road toll reductions.

I've not seen any research that argues none of the above has resulted in the road toll reduction, and let's be clear, there has been a road toll reduction.

I'm willing to entertain your thesis if you have some information to back it up.

11. The safety industry will never be convinced by statistics, because their use of them is cynical to begin with. Forget that. They already know that speed is not really the issue - money and control are.
    Political consequence is the only weapon available to us. But getting the Australian public to support free choice over protection is going to be a big ask.

Sooner or later the public are going to have to face the question of how far they are going to let the government control them for their own good. The one good thing here is that it is going to be a REAL issue for the whole population, not just a small minority of motorcyclists.

12. rob it’s the same argument as last time, road toll for 2009, 2010 and this year to date.

It’s their yardstick not mine and it’s up to the safety industry to PROVE that their measures have made a sizeable reduction to the road toll. Playing with stats doesn’t cut it anymore.

The safety industry and safety are two different things.

titus I agree.

13. You mean the rifles the sheeple gave up when the government said they were bad?

14. Eh? 2009 and 2010 were Victoria's lowest ever years. This one is currently 10% higher than last year. These things bounce around which is well understood by anyone who is involved in "systems" with variables that can influence the output - in this case fatalities.

How do you prove it if you can't refer to stats? The key output is the actual number of fatalities right?

15. rob to begin with the safety industry needs to PROVE that any reductions were the consequence of their measures and not due to any other factor and secondly three years is a long time.

There are other stats like the ones you use to prove that motorcycling deaths are reducing but the industry couldn’t give a toss as it does not fit into their agenda which has nothing to do with safety.

The main stat and their weapon of choice is the road toll and it’s the stat the industry has been stuffing into our faces every opportunity it gets. The problem for them now is it will be used against them.

Now that it’s not working for them watch how they start to shift away from the road toll. Will the papers continue to post the toll? What’s happened to all the speeding stories in the media? There used to be one every time you switched on the TV. Remember just before the New Year when the industry started saying anything under 300 was a good result? Vision Zero then 300. They are so full of shit.

They’ve had their chance and blew it and any further measures by these radicals are nothing less than extremist. They can no longer justify their existence.

It is now time for a better way.

16. No, if the road toll improves, they go "See! It's working! Don't stop now."

17. I briefly scanned over the proposal, it's very depressing. I feel defeated, we're fighting a losing battle. After all the anger, the conspiracy, the finger-pointing and the politics, I just want to be left alone to enjoy my motor vehicles without being harassed and condemned. Is that too much to ask?

Some say they'll pull up stumps and leave, but to go where? This new strategy seems to be global, even the Europeans are beginning to toe the line. I wish I could live a life that never required interaction with a government or law enforcement. A pipe dream at best.

The only encouraging thing I took out of it was that the overwhelming majority of community responses/submissions I read blasted the proposal for focusing on speed and ignoring driver training. Will they listen? I doubt it.

:(

18. We could wait for the next drought. Go buy a few million square miles in the middle of this great country. And go for sovereignty.
    Or become a religious cult that worships dirt bikes and chain saws. Roadies would be hard as we cant afford tar.
    Oooh and throw rocks at chicks. Well the fat ones.
    Call it "The politically incorrect Nation" Or PIN for short.
    Oh well nice to dream. At least when you are out riding. None of this crap enters your mind. Or hopefully should. That's the joy of riding.

19. Well thats a pretty sadening read really..
    My take on it:
    90 pages justifying lowering speed limits even further to around the 30km/h mark, more cameras, and tracking/limiting devices, all to be backed up with an extensive brain washing/ social engineering campaign. Road infrastructure, expensive and would rather just lower limits and pocket the cash. Training "can't be fagged" so we wont even research it. People wanting to enjoy thier lives, not even mentioned.. They will not be finished until we are all comatozed zombies..

20. Sammy, you have a concise and accurate way with words.