Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Aust] Assessing Fitness to Drive - Draft Guidelines

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, May 6, 2010.

1. The National Transport Commission (NTC) have just released their new draft guidelines

Specially posted here for all the Ulyssians around (and Paul) :)

Assessing Fitness to Drive for Commercial and Private Vehicle Drivers
    Draft Medical Standards for Licensing...

available here...
  2. :shock: 150 pages and I glazed over at around page 19 :LOL:

I need a bit of time to read and digest that.
  3. i read quite bit, and the point of the report is what :-s? It's the same system that is already in place? (well atleast in vic)
  4. give me the jist. is it legal for me to drive with a broken hand in a standard car?

not that i give a fark just people keep telling me its illegal.
  5. think i recall something about a letter from a GP etc for that sort of injury...can't be sure was more focused on the process for disabilities, same old b/s process for that ](*,)
  6. lots of information abut physical conditions as as you'd expect. Shame there's nothing they can say about the arrogance, bloody mindedness, selfishness and incompetence I see every day
  7. They are not going to look out for these particular attributes, as these reports are written by Public servants with the intended audience being politicians. Both groups being highly renowned for all of the above attributes.
  8. There is nothing written in the Vic Rules/Regs that if you have a broken hand you can't drive. However if you are involved in a collision and the Police believe the collision was partly/caused because of your broken hand then they can send you off for a licence review. If you fail that then you lose your licence till you can pass the test again.

Or possible Fail to have proper control of vehicle ticket.
  9. Considering we have many hundreds of thousands of drivers out there right now unfit to drive and GP's etc refuse to comply with the law and report it to the relevant authorities, as well as the drivers themselves blatantly lying on their licence renewals.
    So, what's the point of changing the laws if they aren't enforced or acted upon now???
    I'm reminded of the case on the northern beaches of Sydney when the driver of a large 4wd killed a few people having one of his regular seizures....
    But hey, it's O.K, because my personal desire to drive is more important than endangering everyone else on the roads.....

Regards, Andrew.
  10. I was told by my doctor, his assistant and even the emergency department when I had my Achilles injury I was not allowed to drive a car until I came off the crutches as the police can prevent you from driving any further if they pull you over, even if the car is an auto and the injury is on the left foot.
    Whether there is a distinct law is uncertain.