Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aussy moto tour

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Askal, Jan 9, 2005.

1. I am going to Australia sometime in the first three months of this year or in Mid October. Most likley mid October. I will be there for 3 weeks riding a motorcycle. I like 2 lane paved (sealed) roads that go through rural areas. Coastal routes are nice but barren desert areas are also desired. I will rent a Road King or BMW GS depending on the route. I am not an aggressive rider but do like 50% twisty turnies. Temperatures of 80 to 90 degrees are ideal, but under 70 for a high is too cold and over 95 everyday is a little hot. I don't want to backtrack over the same route so I can ship the bike back or take a loop. Heavy insect infestation is also a negative on a bike. I like to ride through small towns, stay at real cheap motels, drink beer in pubs, and visit local people. The total trip should be less than 6,000 miles and it has to start at an urban area where I can pick up the bike. Any suggestions of a route? Thanks in advance.

2. What's that in Celsius?

Umm, in Australia, it's hard to get away from suicidal insects....

What's that in kilometres?

As Falom said - try HQ on a party night..... :p
  3. You mat want to fit an anti crocodile aid to you bike as we go through a lot of tyres with those great green bastards snapping at the wheels all the time.

Usually this is just a holster fitted to the side fairings or handlebar to carry a large calibre pistol. This also helps if you encounter any traffic as you can just wave it about and let a few rounds off into the air to get cars moving along.

4. I tend to just carry a sack full of Acrosses to throw at crocs, pedestrians or whatever else takes my fancy... :wink:

5. In October, if you ride around the southern part of Oz, temps will be around the 20 deg. C mark from October. That's about 70 degs, roughly. Up north it will be closer to 30 degs C.

If you come around the Jan-March period, you're looking at warmer temps. Up north it's humid and rather hot. Down south, the climate is more temperate, and temps can range between 20-35 degs C. (68-95 F).

If you want to cover 10,000 km (6,000 miles), then you can cover a fair bit of Oz. If you start in Melbourne, you could probably ride across to Perth, Western Australia and back. This ride will give you a bit of everything, from hilly and green(ish) Victorian roads, to the Nullabor, a long stretch of flat nothing that covers a part of western South Australia and into Western Australia.

Or you can go north to Far North Queensland and back down again, taking in the tropical climes as well as the cooler south.

The east-west-east route will take in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth, the capital cities of Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia, respectively.

The south-north-south route will take in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, the capitals of (again) Vic, New South Wales and Queensland.

Or you can ride up to Brisbane, back down and head west to Adelaide and back to Victoria that way. This will give you a mix of tropics, inland (the outback), some nice wineries (some of the best in the world) and a varying range of sceneries, coastal routes, inland routes, differing temperatures and 4 states, most of which a flamin' huge, mate...

I'd probably select the BMW. However, I don't know if they rent them out or not.
  6. Just watch out for those drop bears and the mobile road humps when touring the countryside.
  7. Welcome to the forum Luv your warped sense of humour, not long b4 you join the warnings club!
  8. If you are going to go along the Nullabur, be wary of red Kangaroos, since its normally a dry area when it rains they tend to come down to the road which as a rider is not a good thing. While the Roos are on the roads the road trains barrel through and take them out so there can be roo carcasses lying all over the road.

October will see the weather improving a little down south, if you can see if you can get down to Tassie. they have incredible roads down there for bikes but October will probably see a little bit of bad weather.

If you can hold out for a little while you can see if you'd like to join in with the Australian Motorcycle Week. Not sure what the plan is for it in 2005 but it should be great for what you want to do.

While you are in Victoria you might want to try integrating some of the rides on these two websites.

As for cheap accomodation you should try checking out YHA membership and hostels.
  9. Hubby and I did the road tour part of Motorcycle Week in 2003 and we had a blast - highly recommend it!

If you were coming a bit later - late November-ish, and decided to do the Melbourne to Brissie and back, you could maybe catch the Snowy Ride in Thredbo, although it could be a bit cold for your liking! www.snowyride.com.au - not much info on the official site at the moment but should be updated pretty soon. Some more info on the 2004 here: http://www.thredbo.com.au/about/whatsnew/index.asp?id=146

10. Hmmm You must be from Sydney :p :LOL: :LOL: :wink: :twisted: