Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aussie Supers - Mallala 20-22 April 2007

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by pvda, Apr 17, 2007.

1. That would be this weekend so our SA members who's going??

Here is some info from the series web site.

Super Show To Ignite Mallala ASC Round

APRIL 20-22, 2007

The fastest show in town hits South Australia this weekend when round four of the YMF Loan Australian Superbike Championship descends on Mallala Motorsport Park.

With top in excess of 300kmh, Superbikes are the two-wheeled equivalent of V8 Supercars – except faster! The Superbike lap record for the 2.6km circuit, held by reigning national champion Jamie Stauffer at 1:06.973, is over a full second quicker than the existing V8 Supercar record held by Holden Commodore driver Greg Murphy.

And with the V8 Supercars not visiting the Mallala venue in 2007, this weekend’s round of the national Superbike championship is the only chance for local race fans to see high-speed world class racing up close and personal. It’s an opportunity not to be missed.

Reigning national champion Stauffer heads into the fourth round of the series with a large target on his back. And the man taking aim is his own team mate - and elder brother - Dan.

Jamie, the younger of the Yamaha Racing Team duo, has been near unbeatable in the Superbike class over the past 12 months, scoring 11 consecutive pole positions and an unbroken winning sequence of 14 successive race wins – until the opening race at last month’s round at Victoria’s Winton Raceway. And the man who brought the Jamie Stauffer Show to an end was brother Dan.

“I think we were all getting a bit tired of Jamie’s reign of terror, and if anyone was going to bring it to an end then I wanted it to be me,†said 30-year-old Dan.

“There are no team orders, and I want that number plate just as much as he does.â€

The brothers on their identical blue Yamaha Racing Team YZF-R1 Superbikes currently lie first and second in the points chase after three rounds of the eight-round national championship, and between them have won all six races held so far in the 2007 series.

Jamie sits on 147pts, 25pts clear of Dan, with privateer Glenn Allerton (Allect Racing Honda CBR1000RR) on 93pts, 2003 Australian champion Craig Coxhell (Team Yoshimura Suzuki GSX-R1000) 2pts further back, and Kawasaki Racing Team rider Shannon Johnson fifth on 87pts. That makes four different marques in the top five championship positions in what is proving to be the most closely-contested Superbike series for over a decade.

Mallala’s round provided mixed results for the Stauffer brothers in 2006, with Jamie’s win and third in the two Superbike races leaving him overall runner-up for the round behind Honda rider Russell Holland, while by his own high standards brother Dan had a meeting best forgotten when he qualified a disappointing 10th and finished sixth and fourth in the two races.

“Mallala is the hardest braking circuit we go to, plus the kink in the side straight is a daunting one to get right.â€

The challengers are many and varied, with Coxhell the current in-form rider of the pursuing pack after a top three finish behind the Stauffer brothers at Winton’s round. The 24-year-old has moved to fourth in the points chase, 2pts adrift of third-placed Allerton.

“The Yoshimura Suzuki team is like a big family for me and it’s good to be back after spending the past three years racing in Europe, although it’s taking me a little longer to get up to speed than what I would like.â€

2004 Australian Superbike champion Adam Fergusson is another with fire in the belly after a disappointing Winton round on his privateer DVS Honda CBR1000RR. A previous lap record holder at Mallala, the hard-charging Victorian has a liking for the South Australian circuit, and is one of just a few Superbike riders to have taken Mallala’s daunting back-straight kink on full throttle.

“Mallala will sort the men from the boys,†says Fergusson. “It’s not a circuit for faint hearts.â€

With factory Superbike teams from all four Japanese manufacturers – Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha – as well as professional privateer squads such as the Allerton and Fergusson teams, Jamie Stauffer will have to dig deep at Mallala if he is to re-ignite his record-breaking winning run.

A full support card of Supersport, Superstock, 125 Grand Prix, Nakedbike, Pro-Twin, Formula Xtreme, Yamaha FZ6 Cup, Forgotten Era Superbikes from the 1980s and sidecars will contest 19 races over the two days.

Progressive points after 3 of 8 rounds
    1 Jamie Stauffer Yamaha YZF-R1 147
    2 Dan Stauffer Yamaha YZF-R1 122
    3 Glenn Allerton Honda CBR1000RR 93
    4 Craig Coxhell Suzuki GSX-R1000 91
    5 Shannon Johnson Kawasaki ZX-10R 87
    6 Shawn Giles Suzuki GSX-R1000 81
    7 Wayne Maxwell Kawasaki ZX-10R 79
    8 Bryan Staring Honda CBR1000RR 72
    9 Adam Fergusson Honda CBR1000RR 72
    10 Scott Charlton Yamaha YZF-R1 69

I'll post the other good guts info in the next post in this thread.
  2. YMF Loan ASC Rnd 4 Mallala Raceway Spectator Event Info

YMF Loan ASC Rnd 4 Mallala Raceway Spectator Event Information Sheet

2007 YMF Loan Australian Superbike Championship
    Rounds 4 – Mallala Raceway
    Information Package

WHEN: Friday 20th – Sunday 22nd April 2007
    WHERE: Mallala Raceway, Mallala, South Australia.

HOW: Circuit Details

Length: 2.6km
    Direction: Clockwise
    Spectator Points: The best points to view are from the the start finish straight. Entry to grandstands is free and 90% of the circuit can be viewed from any of the grandstands located around the circuit.

To Purchase Tickets via the Web Click HERE
    Tickets for rounds 4 of the 2007 YMF Loan Australian Superbike Championship are available at the gate and cost:

Sunday Adult G.A $40
    Saturday Adult G.A $20
    Concession & Pensioner $20 (valid for 2 days)
    Two Day Ticket Adult $50
    Family Pass $80 (2 adults + up to 5 children / valid for 2 days)
    Children 6 to 15 $10 (valid for 2 days)
    Children under 6 FREE

Unlike other racing events, the 2007 YMF Loan Australian Superbike Championship has an open pit policy in which individuals can access the pits at any time free of charge. This ensures fans get to view all the action on track and also the hard work and preparation which occurs in the pits.

Race Program
    Friday................................Practice & Qualifying (free)
    Saturday............................Qualifying From 9.00am, Racing from 1.00pm approx
    Sunday..............................Racing From 10.00am to approx 4.30pm

Travel – Driving Instructions
    Mallala Raceway is located near the township of Mallala.

A great tool that can be used FOC when trying to plan a trip to the YMF Loan Australian Superbike Championship is through a website called Travelmate. Anyone can easily plot a trip from town to town by using this website. Here is the url for making a map and travel plan.

The Travelmate website can also assist to find local accomodation if required.

Merchandise and trade displays will also be at the event.

It is not to late to secure corporate hospitality for the event, with packages still available which includes entry, VIP parking, sit down lunch, access to a giant screen to watch all the on-track action and cash bar facilities.

For further information on a catered corporate hospitality package or general enquiries, please contact series promoter AUSCO:
    Phone: +61 2 4984-2488
    Fax: +61 2 4984-4955
  3. Looking forward to it this year. Missed last year due to being OS.
    Is it me, or have the ticket prices gone up considerably this year. I suppose it was two years ago when I last went.
  4. I'll be going both days.

Anyone interested in riding up there as a group ?

Maybe start with a "breakfast" meet, Maccas or something.
  5. Gonna be there Fri - Sat - Sun.

Will be interesting to see what lap times they do this year.
  6. The ride up sounds good, but unless my bro inlaw gets his bike going by sunday morn we'll probably drive. He has some sort of fuel issue i think with his TLR1000, and I dont have a pillion seat or pegs(the way i like it)
    Not to mention he's a big boy, wont make for a comfy ride 2 up.
  7. Just got the heads up for going sunday. Bro inlaw cant get bike fixed till early next week, fuel pump problem he got told. So it looks like we'll be going by cage. Well if I have to go by cage at least its a 290kw version.
    hope for a good days racing.
  8. crud can't go this weekend due to family commitments
  9. Hi all,

Does anyone want to meet up before hand, and ride up together.

I will be at these locations at these times (approx)

Sat and Sun

8:45 - Hungry Jacks - South Road, Darlington

9:00 - BP - West Terrace

9:30 - Macdonalds - Breakfast/coffee stop
    Main North Road, Enfield

10:00 - Caltex - Port Wakefield, Bolívar
  10. Here are some pics I took today. :)

11. Some of mine -

12. and some from Sunday

13. Nice pics guys. Great day of racing, some close battles up front in most races. Couldn't believe the amount of red flags in one race meeting.