Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aussie invention - high tech motorcycle training

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Loz, Aug 1, 2007.

1. High-tech motorcycle training system puts learner skills under the microscope.

Rob Smith used to teach at HART I'm pretty sure. Now he's come up with a device to accurately measure and model the performance of riders as they go through exercises like cornering, braking, swerving etc.

This will mean that you can go into an advanced course, take a baseline reading at the start of the day, and another at the end to show you're 33% better at emergency braking, getting 12% more lean in your left-handers, etc etc.

It will also mean the learner and license tests can become far more objective - if your emergency braking reaction time or deceleration aren't good enough, or if you didn't reach the required 25kph before you did the run, there's a much more objective system to grade you or fail you by.

And like I wrote in the article, I bet the trainers themselves will have a ball with it - Hopper's getting 52 degrees out of the Suzuki MotoGP bike... What sort of lean angles can those buys pull on a CB250?

2. Hmm, the link in "DVExperts website." at the end of the article is wrong. It is incorrectly linked as "http://gizmag.com/go/7719/%e2%80%9d/%E2%80%9D" (which is " at the end") Good article besides that incorrect link.
  3. More lean angle is not always better. A fast rider will know it's about minimising lean angle. And Hopper does more than 70% on his MotoGP bike...

just my 2 cents. :)
  4. Ooh, bollocks. My bad.

FYI: http://www.dvexperts.net/

I'm going to get in touch with Rob and see if I can get a closer look at it.
  5. True, true, but it'll also measure your cornering velocity, how many Gs you're pulling on the brakes, all sorts of fun stuff. There's a video on the website there.
  6. And tell me Loz.If say said machine was measuring,oh I dunno,say braking G's,of G,who is riding to the horse races to watch the GG'S,& on his way-buy some weed,say a G,and something surprised him :shock: ,in a gee whiz kinda way

:-k would that make it-Measuring the G's of G at the GG'S,scoring a G,by G,or GGGGGG for short :roll:

No offense G :grin:
  7. 90 degree lean angle FTW. :LOL:
  8. 89 FTW :)
    90 FTL :(
  9. You, sir...

10. that clown is scary :bolt:
  11. Would be a great improvement on the current P's tests.

Perticularly if you can see how you have improved ofer the course. Would at least give decent indicators as to where you are having problems and what you are doing well.
  12. Loz have you ever considered a career in Law :nail: Quoting something I didnt even say like that :-s Clown parts fine
  13. on a related note, are there any realistic riding simulations available - either say PC software / games, or installations like those pro flight sims? I haven't been able to find anything around ..
  14. i've tried a number of motor bike games, non of them are even close.
    the closest thing i found was some arcade machine u can sit on a bike, but really, even that was pretty poor.
  15. I think moto gp bikes are up to 63 degrees for a short period now.
  16. actually 90 would be just fine, cos no one rides on corners without at least 3 deg of camber :D
  17. I dunno what lean angle i was at but on my license test practice at hart i had the pegs down which was fine.. then i got a scrape of the crash bars and thought it best to calm down lol
  18. the best bike sim ive ever seen is the one HART had at the motorcycle expo. it was based on a CB250.. and i hope its not overly accurate cause i kept dropping it cause i was taking corners too fast.. but the controls were pretty much spot on for a bike, and very little lag between input and reaction.