Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aussie Distributor for this cool jacket?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by dan, Apr 22, 2005.

1. http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/vansonstrip/

This jacket looks ideal for warmer climates - anyone know of an Aussie distributor, or a similar product available in oz?

2. Might look good but there's a good chance it's useless at what it's supposed to do. PROTECTION !!!
    WAYYY too many seams....each of those can "burst" or even only rip on impact.
    Unless there's a continuous kevlar-liner with minimal seams, safety stitching all round and prime-quality leather of a minimum 2mm thickness it's one to walk to coffee-night in...

3. I have a good leather jacket for most riding, but I wanted something for the hot weather commute where you don't get much above 80 most days, and you sweat your balls off.

I wanted something with a bit more protection that the dri-mesh jackets...

either that or I will just wear the metallica t-shirt

4. Some of the dry mesh jackets have armour inserts and are kevlar stitched.
    Why do you think they won't protect you?

5. never said they won't protect me.

looking for MORE protection, which I thought leather might do.

6. Sounds like a great idea in theory, but in theory communism works, in theory.

I'd just be a bit dubious of the jacket tearing apart between the leather strips in a fall.

More research needed I think...

7. I think they drag people around in them before market release - they are a reputable leather company.

The bottom line is I want something that performs a better than cordura mesh, but not as good as leather (which I already have and is too hot to commute in.)

8.  Top
  9. yeah that was the first thing I though, but I wanted to be able to try one on etc and check the quality of the manufacture etc... make sure I got the right fit.

Also if it needs repairs it would be good to have someone who has spare parts... err strips.

10. $299 american , thats about 1.6 trillion australian .
    I would be looking around here for a simalar thing , surely cheaper and easily more acessable too.

11. dude, wear the metallica t-shirt. everyone knows that your tuff as when you wear one of them, the ground wont DARE touch you :LOL:

12. What? :roll:
    Dude $299 us and say they charge you about $30 us for shipping comes to about $420 au roughly. Tell me what name brand jacket you'll get here for that? (not talking the cheapo rivet, dri rider stuff either) but Dianese, Joe Rocket etc, cos Vanson are quite a reputable company just not stocked here.
    Since our exchange rate changed from around 50 odd cents into the high 70's shopping US is the only way to go for some stuff. For example I got my Helmet which at the time was $750-$800 here, tried it on in a shop here and then ordered it online. One week later and just under $500 I had my lid. Off course some anal retard will mention no ADR sticker, well it had DOT which is accepted over there and I have had no cop ever say anything about it (and I have run ins with police a lot on the bike) Of course with parts and jackets etc, the ADR thing doesn't apply. (I got a great jacket that would be $1000 here for just over $500)
    I can't believe some people have this paranoid view about buying OS? Don't be stupid and save your bucks.

13. What? :roll:
    Dude $299 us and say they charge you about $30 us for shipping comes to about $420 au roughly. Tell me what name brand jacket you'll get here for that? (not talking the cheapo rivet, dri rider stuff either) but Dianese, Joe Rocket etc, cos Vanson are quite a reputable company just not stocked here.
    Since our exchange rate changed from around 50 odd cents into the high 70's shopping US is the only way to go for some stuff. For example I got my Helmet which at the time was $750-$800 here, tried it on in a shop here and then ordered it online. One week later and just under $500 I had my lid. Off course some anal retard will mention no ADR sticker, well it had DOT which is accepted over there and I have had no cop ever say anything about it (and I have run ins with police a lot on the bike) Of course with parts and jackets etc, the ADR thing doesn't apply. (I got a great jacket that would be $1000 here for just over $500)
    I can't believe some people have this paranoid view about buying OS? Don't be stupid and save your bucks.

14. Right there, but not one of those toys

15. everyone knows that an AC/DC black T-shirts is the toughest of the lot for riding bikes.

16. And sleeveless ones are a GUARANTEE of injury free riding :D

17. Actually no shirt at all is the toughest possible way to ride, all the heros do it.

But yes, an ACDC t-shirt circa Back in Black or High Voltage is near on bullet proof.

18. You ride with pants on?

19. does anyone have any links to breathable/warm weather leather jackets, or own one?

I might have to just get a/c for the bike.

20. Pants are for fairies, free-balling all the way :wink: :LOL: .