Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National [Aus] What are your 3 top motorcycling issues

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Ok riders, there's lots of bleating on these forums about politico-motorcycling issues, but what are your top three issues? Have you even thought about it?

Mine are:

1. Improved and better focused training and licensing (including retraining)
    2. Strong Australia wide unified representation.
    3. Standardised crash data collection & training in it, and truth in motorcycling specific statistics.

1/ Improves crash stats and may provide an evidence based path to avoid all the mod con devices being plonked onto your motorcycle.

2/ Self evident, divided we fall.

3/ Get some truth into crash stats collection and analysis. Oversimplified reporting ticks speed far too often as the cause of the crashes. As shown by the recent BITRE report, even the statiticians are prone to be hoodwinked by the institutionalised bias.
  2. 1. Training
    2. Road signs. Not always designed with the motorcyclist, and the limited visibility from a helmet, in mind.
    3. Road conditions. In particular the amount of gravel left on the roads after roadworks.
  3. TnG, your number 3 is worth looking at more closely.

The now disbanded VMAC had evidence and this is back up by EU Vision Zero road treatments too, that making a road safer for motorcycling made it safer for everybody. Some of Victoria's levy money has been spent educating Vic Road engineers to improve road design with motorcycling in mind. I'm don't think the message has got down to the coal face council road worker though, that patches up a hole with some loose filler and maybe a drizzle of tar binder.
  4. better roads
    better roads
    better roads
  5. Not bike specific but bike related and should have other road user group support I.E somewhere to start for a representative body.

1. Road safety taught in schools (not follow the rules and you will be safe crap either) in the EDUCATION budget.

2. Subsidized advanced training in the HEALTH budget.

3. All traffic infringement revenue to be spent on road maintenance on top of budgeted road maintenance spending. NOT to be budgeted for or included in consolidated revenue.

4. CTP to include 3rd party property insurance.

More bike specific ones

1. All accident "research" which is used to formulate policy must have been published in peer reviewed journals at least 24 months prior. Police reports on fatal accidents must be in the public domain in their entirety for this to work.

2. Filtering legitimized in law.

3. No new technologies to be made compulsory unless they can be demonstrated to not increase risk of harm under any circumstances.
  6. I'm with Rob on this one, especially point 2. Get that right and the other two (and most other issues that spring to mind) will follow.

With all due respect to the MRA, I think, on a national basis, it has failed to make a mark. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an MRA basher, but, for whatever reason, we have a body that's fragmented into little state organisations, some of which don't appear that active and some of which still seem to be fighting the internal battles of a decade or two ago.

It just strikes me that it may be better to jettison the baggage and start afresh. There are talented and dedicated people within the MRA who, I'm sure, would be just as effective within a new, national body.

I'm not so naive to believe that such a group can exist without internal divisions. My years in MAG in the UK showed me that. But it should be possible without the sort of horribly self destructive bloodbath that seems to have occurred withing, say, the MRAV.

Incidentally, I regard industry involvement, or, at least, endorsement to be important. It was noticeable that MAG only really started winning battles when Triumph got off the ground in the UK. Pollies understand money and business success. We haven't got a bike manufacturer, of course, but we've got a shitload of importers, dealers, repairers and cottage industries, all of whom pay tax and employ people. Let's try and tap into some of that economic clout.
  7. 1. Recognition of motorcyles as a unique and valid form of transport with the appropriate changes in road laws - in particular filtering and parking.

2. Education and Training (although I think this applies to ALL road users).

3. Realistic speed limits and enforcement of road laws based on real facts not knee jerk reactions, 'quick fixes' and revenue raising (again really applies to ALL road users).
  8. my perspective has to be horribly limited while still on Ls, but these sure jump out so far:

Safety barriers and 'hoon' deterrents that effectively slow cars but hurt riders

unsigned gravel/grooves after roadwork

being considered speeding for crashes that are patently not so (< 10km/hr ffs!) and fretting over adding to the speeding stats for the bastards misusing them because of awareness from Netrider :þ
  9. 1. Codified legal filtering and low-speed splitting, with start boxes at the front of the queue like the lycra crew get.

2. Stop the harassment. If we're not seen to be breaking a law, don't pull us over and waste our time.

3. Everything rob said :p

3 more that aren't specific to motorcycles:

1. More appropriate speed limits. If the majority of people consistently speed on a road without issue, chances are the limit is artificially low.

2. If you insist on these rubbish blitzes, enforce laws that actually matter, such as following too closely, people not using indicators, or the morons that drive around with headlights off after dark.

3. Have someone on the right side of the bell curve work on timing the lights for efficiency. It's ridiculous how much time and fuel is wasted sitting at a red light when nobody is going through the intersection.

3a. Let us turn left on red lights from the leftmost lane into the leftmost lane if it is safe to do so.
  10. Oh, and this one is wishful thinking, but I'd like to opt-out of TAC coverage.
  11. 1. Willful, planned and cynical demonisation of motorcyclists in the media by senior public servants, particularly those from road authorities and police.
    2. Cynical and unfair attempts to force motorcyclists out of particular localities (Spurs, GOR etc.) through selective enforcement and road law implementation (ie. strategic speed limits, selective defecting,)
    3. Petty and pointless laws being applied to motorcycling (ie. filtering, defecting, bike lanes).
  12. This is a hot topic in my circle and has potential to possible derail this thread, but what makes us unique?

You can look at the opening paragraph of any of the state's motorcycling strategies and they all say the same thing - something like: Riders of motorcycles need to be highly skilled and extremely aware, and know the capabilities and limitations of their machines... (taken from SA's riding strategy).
    It would appear that governments already appreciate that we're "special"... or do they? Are those opening words just lip service?

Does the required skill level alone make us unique? Anyone can drive a car, but not everyone can ride a bike? This is probably worthy of a thread of it's own.

If a rider rep body got their act together and went in to bat for motorcyclists on the basis of our unique properties, would that expose our vulnerabilities providing a case for safety crats to put up ever tightening restrictions, or expose our strengths and allow a better argument for some differentiation within the laws and within the public road traffic stream? Frankly, I'm torn.

Anyway, I really don't want to derail the thread - I'm keenly interested in what NR's random sample of Aus riders thinks are their top 3 issues.

13. Apparently fender eliminators and non compliance with the ADR's are gateway infringements. Stop these and stop other bigger crimes.

This exact law was recently enacted in a U.S. state. Can't remember which state.
  14. Improve the overall image of motorcycling in the community. All the things I want should flow from that. None of the things I want will be possible without it. It would help in achieving this if we had unified, effective, national representation.

Lower any and all barriers to the take-up of motorcycling. Remove any institutional bias towards cars and away from bikes as a first road user option. This gets a bit murky, because we can improve our statistical safety and our percentages if we raise the barriers and raise our standards, but I don't want to see motorcycle related deaths drop below 10 a year if that means less than 1,000 new bike licences are issued every year and the rider pool ages into the grave without being replaced. I see the way forward for motorcycling, as getting as many new converts involved as possible. This is going to result in more skinned knees and elbows. It might also result in better roads, better training, better representation, better informed legislation, less harassment and victimisation by the cops and the courts. This is a matter of momentum, critical mass. When everybody knows at least one person who rides, how much anti-bike rubbish is just going to wither in its tracks right there?

Better, more effective rider / driver training, with a focus on demonstrated and practised ability - not paperwork. Bureaucracy does not favour better riders and drivers - it favours better bureaucrats.
  15. - Better training and testing for all road users

- Overenthusiastic enforcement of speed limits needs to change. Penalties for speeding need to be reassessed, starting with removing points for low range speeding, penalties being based on the area and circumstances, and fines + points suspensions should be interchangeable with rider/driver vehicle training. Any fine revenue use should be limited strictly to road safety enhancements.

- Benefits to encourage riding, eg. lower/no tolls, filtering allowed in stationary traffic , under 40kmh, advanced stop lines, lower registration costs, etc.

Pipe dream.
  16. Granted, very new to all this but this is how I feel from a fresh L plater point of view...

- Improved training... Dont get me wrong, I think the LAMS scheme is a good idea but if you ask me needs addressing. Two days of 3hrs to get your L plates then you can get on something like a 650. Yes I have but I had at least some training back in the uk many moons ago. More the fact on the pre learners course you dont get past 2nd gear. You dont go about 20kph. There should definately be some sort of road ride element there. If Im also lucky to have had previous driving experience and thus can filter a car well in traffic etc and know what to look for. A new rider wouldnt have these skills.

- L/P Plate Speed Restrictions (NSW)... Absolutely, mind numbingly stupid idea. If I plan a ride, all I can say is thankgod google maps allows me to filter out highways. No way am I going to go on a 100kph road if the most I can do is 80kph. How to make someone an easy target for tailgating in one easy step. Not going with the flow of traffic is just stupid.

- Road Surfaces... Yep, on a lot of the roads Ive been on so far I feel like I'm playing dodge the pot hole. Some so bad I would also be doing the same in a car.
  17. I wasn't looking so much at the skill level of the rider, more the uniqueness of the vehicle itself. They already recognise the push bikes have unique abilities and requirements and have created cycle paths and bicycle boxes at traffic lights.

Motorcycles take up less space, are more manouverable and (arguably) more friendly to roads and the environment than cars are, yet they are treated like a car.
  18. You can do that at some intersections in NSW already, but yes it should be more widely used.
  19. The majority of US states allow "right on red" (of course it'd be left on red here…) unless otherwise marked, and if you're going from a 1-way to a 1-way, you can usually turn on red from leftmost to leftmost. It's about as logical as laws get.
  20. 1. Education.
    Not just training riders to be better riders/ faster phfft. But to be more aware of the consequences if they want to be a hoon or fool. Show the the hurt list. What every Trauma nurse or doctor knows.
    Educating NON riders to be more aware of riders and the consequences if they don't.
    Educating the general public that riders are not all "bikies" And that it is a valid and reasonable form of transport and recreation. But to be honest I think that one is our burden and ours alone.

2. Better support and representation from the Manufacturers and dealers on a political and social level.

3. A much fairer and economical price on rego, CTP and comprehensive insurance.