Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Aus?] New Police tool, mobile Number Plate recognition

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TheRuss, Jul 5, 2010.

1. So the tech isn't new, just a new application of it... but the police in NSW have finished a trial of mobile number plate recognition software that can instantly identify unregistered and uninsured (NSW CTP) vehicles.

Personally I approve of this, as anything that removes unriders and undrivers from the roads has to be a good thing, right?!!
    I do however share the concerns that the future could potentially see this tool as just another eye for Big Brother, if it's not regulated properly.

2. Oh boy...

This does not bode well for we boy racers...
  3. I agree: it's a powerful tool that needs to be used carefully.

They would already record every time a check is performed (along with who is using the automatic system). It's whether they store information about where the car was when the check was performed that is concerning.

There is no need to store location information about a check (whether it returns a result or not). It's still possible to find out by just asking the copper who performed the check where they were at a specific time, but this is far more involved than just looking at a set of gps co-ordinates.
  4. I like the idea as long as it is only for unregistered vehicles and stolen vehicles ONLY and does not bring any information about the owner up on screen. That should then come down to the car being pulled over and the driver then showing identification as required

Not sure about storing the information though whether it would be good or not ( in some ways yes it could if a particular person was constantly being harassed etc in other ways no - there is no reason to store it if there is no offence at all)

They will however use this technology to book people who's number plate may not register due to it being bent a little past perfect also faded, dirty etc - although these offences already exist and are enforced manually at the discretion of the officer.
  5. Getting unregistered vehicles off the road is fine. The privacy implications are concerning. Watch the privacy aspects tumble into insignificance is the authorities mention terrorism.

I wonder what the OSHA implications are for adding more and more obstacles into a police car that the officer can be injured on?
  6. That information is available now to officers when they do a licence rego check.
    Why shouldnt they see the owners details?

7. You answered it - when they do a licence check - means they have to get the licence first by pulling the person over - when does this happen - when you have done something wrong and broken a traffic law, your car looks un- roadworthy or at a RBT.

If all the details come up automatically whats to stop them using this info because you are a person "known to them " and they using it as a harassment tool by constantly pulling you over even if you have done nothing wrong.
  8. They've had at least on of these cameras here in Victoria for well over 12 months now.
  9. When will it end is what I'm wondering?

What exactly is the tipping point where the general population says "I don't know about this..."?

I was quite sure a few years ago that I was no danger to the community, not a violent person, a bit arrogant for sure, but not dangerous. Hell, I even use a mode of transportation where I can't do much harm to anyone but myself...

I sure am starting to feel like I'm a crook running from the cops now, and I'm a white-collar worker in the CBD...

What was merely "childishness" a while back is now "criminality". They just keep changing the definitions.
  10. That's right, old news in Victoria. Here they took it one step further.

The Sheriffs Dept took the cameras to shopping centre car parks and drove up and down the car park scanning number plates. If the owner of a car had any outstanding fines they would wheel clamp the vehicle. Once the owner came out they would make them pay all outstandings on the spot via the mobile EFTPOS machine before they would release the vehicle.

A very clever and efficient use of technology.

If you have something to hide better leave your vehicles at home and walk.

11. Thank you for the example - this is what I was trying to point out, as such I would like to see the use of this technology legislated to be ONLY for checking unregistered vehicles.

Imagine if you are driving the vehicle of a friend who has outstanding fines and they do this and inconvenience you yet you have not done anything wrong
  12. Oh is that how they did that massive carpark operation?

I just assumed they looked them up manually.. but that makes more sense!
  13. Or if you are Riding a Motorcycle in Victoria
    4 times in two Months for “Routine” License and Rego check.
    So that is a “harassment tool” simply being applied because of my choice of Transport.
  14. I see alot of danger in this..

Imagine if the system was programmed to automatically scan all plates surrounding a vehicle as it travels along. Imagine if its programmed to through up an alert if it detects a plate with previous history, eg. pulled over for speeding or an RBT, etc.

Meaning the more times you are done, the more likely you are to be done. It creates alot of prejudice before they've even pulled you over or observed you doing anything wrong.

Potentially a very nasty cycle.

But in its current use for unlicensed/unregistered vehicles - I strongly approve. BUT thats it. Sad thing is, its just a matter of time before they use this technology in a questionable way, as suggested above.
  15. Apparently they've also been attached to red light cameras for quite a while now, but they haven't been utilised for this. Dunno how accurate it is, did hear it 1st hand from someone at Vicroads.
  16. that tech's been in use in brisbane for a while now. they can check whether the OWNER is licensed. application was questioned by all and sundry (it works too, i didn't know my license was suspended for an unpaid fine - i never got the letter)

so long as they keep bringing in devices to get rid of 'the bad element' and keep the voting majority happy, that'll never happen

guarantee that idea is on the agenda.....
  17. I'd be slapping the back of my mates head (Gibbs from NCIS style) for not paying his fine/s on time and causing me grief :blackeye:
  18. Sorry?
    (i) How the HELL do you know a vehicle is unregistered without checking? Which just happens to be the purpose of thses cams. Lost me.

(ii) Driving an unregistered vehicle / suspended rego vehicle is an offence. If he has that many fines maybe you should not drive it?
  19. (ii) You may not necessarily know. if he is unlicensed or not paid fines and you've borrowed his ute to pick something up only to come out and find it clamped you'd be far from impressed.
  20. the poms look like winding theirs back

Crackdown on Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras

By James Sharpe -

Home Secretary Theresa May has ordered a review of Automatic Number Plate Recognition cameras, which could see restrictions put in place on their uses and who can access the images.
    The ANPR system takes a photograph of the number plate, and allows authorities to follow the vehicle for hundreds of miles. All details are logged on a central database.
    However campaign groups claim the intrusive system is open to misuse.
    Dylan Sharpe, campaign director for Big Brother Watch, told the Daily Mail, “ANPR cameras are an unnecessary and indiscriminate invasion of privacy.
    “A detailed review is not only vitally important it is long overdue.”
    The review is likely to change the amount of time images can be retained for and restrictions on who can access the database and why.