Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[AUS] Digital registration

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Apr 1, 2008.

1. You can already register your car in NSW with only a pink slip requiring that you talk to someone. Now, plans are afoot for that to be taken further, with no paper rego label being required. Instead, all vehicles will be fitted with RFID. What a great idea! Considering, according to this article, http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,23462471-15306,00.html that Police in NSW alone detected 38,000 unregistered (and therefore with no third-party insurance) vehicles last year, this can't come soon enough. That's over 100 vehicles per day, every day of the week, on average. And that's JUST the ones they detected. What are the REAL figures? I suspect that it could be ten times that.....

2. While it's dangerous, stupid and financially crippling if one of them hits you. I can understand why people don't insure their rego - or certainly cannot afford to.

3. nice idea, but the cameras they have work already - and it's a little harder to track vehicles without RFID tags than with them, which would really be the point of the exercise.

I really really hate the following line as well:

""We've got a project afoot to look at what we can use RFID for," she said. "

In other words, we have a solution, so now we are looking for a problem. Life should work the other way around - best solution for the problem at hand. If it's RFID, then good, if not though, do something else - the sydney cross city tunnel was another great example of blinkered thinking (it was a solution to a problem that didn't exist).

4. The UK have recently shelved their RFID program due to it would cost
    approximately 20x more than it would bring in. Hopefully our pollies
    follow the example.

5. I guess we'll be hearing all sorts of 'big brother' conspiracies from someone shortly. :p

6. From the article linked to:
    The only country to deploy RFID vehicle registration tags on a large scale has been the island nation Bermuda. The Bermudian Transport Control Department use it to track the country's estimated 47,000 vehicles.

RFID maker Mikoh, which supplied the Bermudian department with technology to prevent miscreants tampering with its tags, said Australia was lagging other developed countries in the adoption of RFID.

One very small country has adopted this - and we're lagging behind! :LOL: :LOL:

This is purely an effort by the manufacturer to flog their technology. As some one above said - this is a solution looking for a problem... :roll:

7. the true problem with this is that once it becomes mainstream, they will use it to track our every move. The police state of Australia never ceases to amaze me.

8. Well said. When this comes in, I'll be buying a classic motorcycle, in the hope that they will be excluded from such trickery!

9. why? because the storm of electromagnetic haze from the points ignition will override the signals returned by the chip in your number plate? Or because the same points ignition will leave you stranded so many times you might as well just get used to walking?

People who make comments like this are usually the ones who never go through with the act because it is too much like hard work and they have no experience of how terrible old vehicles are to live with :p

Besides, stuff like this has a funny way of being included - eg you can't register your vehicle unless it conforms to xyz, etc.

You are missing the point that you can be tracked now, by virtue of your number plate - RFID technology is just a new method of doing what they already can! What hornet is getting at is possibly a better method of working out who is registered (and thus insured) than is done at present. It is quicker to process coded signals than to do OCR on semi-random photos of plates which is what is done now.

That doesn't exclude my current bias of solution looking for a problem thinking though.

10. A bit harsh, even with the :p included, given you don't really know me and are referring to me as "people like this".

This particular "people like this", just happens to own a FJ Holden. And yeah, they are a lot of work, but a lot of reward. This particular "people like this" would be the first person to chase down a Phase 3 HO than buy a new Lambo or Ferrari if I stumbled across a ridiculous amount of spare coin. Just because you may find it too difficult doesn't mean you have to include me in your "people like this" basket. :p

You may be right, it may be a compulsory condition of registration renewal regardless of the vehicles vintage, however, I'm sure there won't be a "fix" for it once it's implemented, much like the speed governors on trucks. :p

As long as my arse points south I'll never have this sort of dystopian technology fitted to any of my vehicles, if only on principle alone. :p

Enough said, these are the "Smart-card" people. No wonder that Bermuda is signed up for this! They've been losing vehicles for a long time now ;)

11. hey, i've still got a IIa landrover in the shed. The point is that the older they get, the harder they are to find parts for. On top of that, you get problems with new legislation and technology - pollution requirements, insurance for 'less safe' vehicles and mandatory ethanol for example. Your idea is fine in principal, but will you still be saying the same thing when a chipped electric vehicle costs you 1% of your wage to own, and that rusting HO hulk in the shed costs you 120% of your wage?

PS: I was making an argument - stop believing that all comments on a text based discussion forum are personal attacks. Grab me another beer on your way to the fridge! :oops: