Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Augh worst ride ever

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Kowai, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Took my bike out tonight, I've had a bit of a break from riding cause I haven't had time/been away on holidays/its been raining/I've had the flu etc..

I'm pretty shitty at the myself at the moment.. I'm also having some scotch to calm the nerves.

Letsee I left the fuel tap off (again), tried to start in 2nd once, forgot to change down gears a few times, tipped the bike while attempting a U-turn (no damage, it was a gentle drop and I managed to get it back up again), stalled the bike in traffic at an intersection and couldn't get going again fast enough (even bunny hopped the bike before realising it -wasn't- properly in first), did some really embarrassing oh-god-I-can't-make-this-turn-wobbly-have my feet out-and overshoot turns...

OH and I didn't make a left turn cause it was around some roadworks and down a hill and I wasn't confident doing it.. No worries I think, keep going, take your next leeefftt.... Which took me on a huge detour around Albert Park lake where I'm forced to ride around the whole thing and onto some roads I'm not prepared for yet! (where I stalled!)

I suck I suck I suck!!

I need more practice :( Specifically with cornering... *sigh* OH and I found out my high beam doesn't work. Yay. :evil:
  2. sounds like fun :p

may i suggest buy some wet weather gear, even if its $100 spent on plastics like i have. then you can practice in the wet too. you need practice by the sounds of things :wink: THEN, not only will you be better at riding in most conditions, you will be better in general, with more practice than if you only ride in the dry.

then you wont be out of practice, and this wont happen again :p
  3. S'all good bloke. Everyone has their bad days. I damn near got killed three times in about 30 minutes once :p

Just takes practice, and while it can be dangerous, sometimes the quickest way to learn is to fcuk up and fix it! :)
  4. Maybe put out the word for some mentor riding. I would offer myself cept I have only been on the road for 5 months (few more years on dirt) so I am sure there is way too much I wouldn't know to be of any help.
  5. Practise in an empty carpark or street.

Slow speed manoeuvers are quite a difficult part of riding.
  6. hahaha .... i've done (almost) all the same ..... recently ..... chin up & get back on, it's how we get better :]
  7. I hear ya ..

My worst ride was last Monday Night ...

1st time night riding AND in the rain ..

I was so scared I was going to slip in the wet I juz hung on and didn't relax at all :cry:
    I put it down to shiny wet rds that I saw as being slippery even though Ziggy and Hawklord were doing fine,
    I could see they weren't slipping or sliding going through roundabouts or corners ..
    BUT I juz couldn't get past it !! :evil:

One good thing though , I'm teaching Ziggy great defensive riding :roll:
  8. Hey guys thanks.. I came back feeling so stressed out last night..

I guess to my credit I -did- work on my gears and used them better, I did get back on the bike after I had stopped and was tempted to call my boyfriend, I managed to stop the bike being damaged when I dropped it and I picked it up correctly...

Yeah I DEFINATELY need to get my ass to a carpark and just practice low speed cornering and stopping/starting. The corners were what I was nervous with and it definately showed in my 'performance'. I'm mostly nervous with starting and having to immediately turn - i.e at an intersection, especially if theres not much room. *sigh*

I told my boyfriend this weekend he is taking me down (following me in the car) to a carpark and we are practicing cornering when its daytime!
  9. :rofl:
    Laughing with ya not at ya.
    Don't stress, keep at it. Brush up on your theory, understand the hows and whys, and most importantly PRACTICE! Get out there as often as you can. A mentor is a GREAT idea!
    One day you'll be riding along and find that place where rider and bike come together in a near perfect union of man & machine. It's an awesome feeling I can only describe as transformation of flesh and metal into one single entity.

ok, I may have gone overboard there, but you get the idea right? :p
  10. A classic example of why people (especially noobs) cant just ride "occasionally".

I dont mind paying for noobs through my TAC and insurance premiums because we were all there once but seriously you need to practice or get 2 more wheels.

11. While you're still in the starting up phase, I suggest you go for rides when you can when it is dry and have your boyfriend follow you so that you don't have to worry so much about what's going on behind you. Alternatively, have another rider follow you. I strongly recommend to stay off wet roads until you're comfortable on dry ones. There is merit in suggestions of tackling all conditions but only do it when you're ready. I think that taking it easy / at your own pace at the start and building up your skill/confidence will result in low/no-stress progression. If you try and tackle too much at once then it may put a downer on riding for you or knock your confidence when it doesn't need to.

My first day on the bike saw me head off from Notting Hill at 10:00am on a sunny Saturday, go to my friend's at Ferntree Gully to show him the VTR, to Beach Rd via Wellington/North Road, head up and down Beach Rd a few times then got back home at 3:30pm via Centre and North Roads. Being a sunny day, there was a bit of traffic around. Because of that, I minimised my lane changing, rode at my own pace (which was the speed limit) and had an incident free ride (and a sore @r$e by the end of it). The message there is to keep at it at your own pace and things will keep improving for you. :)

Finally, skills practice is important and something I didn't/don't do enough of. I'm slowly picking things up as I go but could probably do better by purposefully setting out to practice skills.
  12. I've had days like that as well, where the 'riding brain' just seems to have switched off altogether. I've got thousands of Ks under the belt, many years of riding in total and I'll still have the odd brain fart and change up a gear instead of down. There's also been countless times where I've been riding and slowing for a corner or bend and wondering "am I currently in second or third?", kick it down a gear and quickly realise from the screaming sound of the engine that I was in second and am now in first where I don't really want to be. I love the fact that my current bike has a digital read out that tells me what gear I'm in. It's almost idiot proof :)

I've also made the wrong turn onto Albert Park Road, the worst part of which is the very slow speed, the lack of turn off opportunities, and the vast amount of time you have available to curse yourself for getting on the stupid thing in the first place. Since then though I've been very aware of it and have avoided it like the plague!

Put the whole thing down to a learning experience and an understanding of your current limitations. You've already worked out that more practice will improve your skills and address the previous problems so it's all looking bright for the future!

Re: the fuel tap, make it part of your pre-start preparation. My first instructor taught me to start on one side of the bike and work my way around in a circular pattern covering off all the things that needed to be checked (right mirror, front brake works, fuel tap, rear brake, sidestand up, gear in neutral, clutch lever adjusted, left mirror, indicators, lights, ignition, lift-off etc). Once it becomes a habit it you won't miss out on any of the steps.
  13. Like I said, I've had a tiny break (its been over a week since my last ride) due to the weather (it's been pouring most nights), me being away during the long weekend (I wanted to take my bike but it was a 4 hour trip, with highways - definately not at my skill level) and I've also had the flu. Not trying to make excuses, thats just how its been.

Alot of the time I miss out on riding because I'm not at that skill level yet to tackle whatever I want. If the weather is terrible I'm not going to risk myself by going out when its wet/windy/pouring with rain. I also wait til its either late at night, or early on the weekends to ride because of the level of traffic where I live. (St Kilda - VERY busy area) Sometimes, unfortunately, I'm just busy. Work + home responsibilities sometimes leave little time for anything else.

Last night I waited til it was late to take the bike out, so there'd be little traffic. I drove around the back streets where I could practice intersections, roundabouts, gear changing etc and where there was, again, low traffic.

I dropped the bike while doing a slow, U-turn, in a quiet street. I overshot my cornering, probably cause I was too busy trying to avoid a parked car (I think I focused on it too much rather than where I was going). There was no traffic around so I had heaps of time to recover but still, I hated having dropped it.

I had some trouble with cornering at narrow intersections.. I need to work on that. Its just that slow, cornering that gets me the most.

I need to make my bf come out with me more. He tells me to go practice, but doesn't realise that my skill level/confidence isn't there yet. I've ridden to Brighton and back no worries before but its definately this slow cornering work I need to practice the most. Thinking back, thats my one -huge- problem with riding so far which has resulted in me dropping the bike twice.
  14. Unfortuantly NOT all newbies have the time to get out there everyday , work , kids and general life situations do get in the way ...

I'd love to be out everyday , but starting at 5.30 in the morn .. getting home at 3 and having a household and kids to look after does give me riding time restraints .. Not to mention I don't want to ride tired .. need ur wits about u 150% when u ride .. so my weekly weekend runs and the occasional weekday run is all I can do .. It's a slow progress , but much safer then riding tired or feeling like you have too.
    So seriously Dont feel pressured into riding either , go out when ur calm an ready :)
  15. You're quite welcome to wobble around for the rest of your riding life.

Even 10 mins on a bike a few times a week will work wonders however.
  16. I didn't know you're an advocate of drink riding. :p :LOL:
  17. Haha he does have a point. A learner does really need to get out as often as possible.
  18. Stick at it Kowai :)

It's all there, right in your mind..and you've identified what you need to do...Practise !
    We've all been where you are, and it's NOT only Learner riders who need to be riding regularly...we all need to do this, and we ALL constantly learn new things, which help our skills and eventually, our confidence.

Best of luck in getting your slow riding skills honed. As you've said, there's no better place than a quiet place (eg carpark) to practise this. With lots of self training, you'll gel beautifully with your bike, and you'll be teaching/mentoring others in carparks on this exact stuff before too long :)

Above all, HAVE FUN :)
  19. Don`t worry K...if i`m not in the right mindset, i`ll stuff up ( feel inadequate etc)...affects my riding...last night I SWORE there were no cars coming as i was turning left, so pulled out, and hell, near side swiped a car coming from the right...lesson hopefully learned...i`ll take extra time and care at night...maybe a wake up call for me...keep riding man :wink:
  20. I'm also new to riding (300ks of riding so far) and can relate to a lot of what you have said.
    Bunny hops when taking off, stuffing up slow speed turns and the dreaded stalling at lights where all thing I did and still do to some degree.
    I still have to practice my low speed maneuvers but the rest is coming along nicely now.
    Just get out their as often as you can and you'll be amazed how quickly you'll improve.
    Getting some confidence helps a lot and once you get that no rain or flu will keep you off the bike.
    Good luck and stay safe.