Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Audiobooks for long rides

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ajrider, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Just wondering what people's thoughts are regarding audiobooks for long rides - highway km's for hundreds or thousands of KM's?

In the car it tends to pass the time quicker, but I was wondering if it might be more distracting on a bike - or whether there are riders who have done longer rides that have listened to audio books?
  2. I have used audio books for 20 years and love them. I only tried once on a bike though and while the book didn't distract me that I noticed, I did find that after an hour I couldn't remember most of the book so I guess I was distracted from the book by the ride not vice versa.
  3. use it all the time when commuting on train - one drawback is that I tend to dose off and fall asleep and it takes for ever to get a good grip of what I listened too (replay, replay and replay in between micro sleeps) and for that reason I think it could be a bad choice on long bike trips :)

I used to listen to uplifting music when riding my bikes on long trips - works much better for me
  4. yeah, great in the car but it doesn't work for me on the bike. Either I get sucked into the story and don't pay as much attention to riding as I should, or I get to the end and realise I don't know what story I was listening to.
  5. With audio books, does it depend a lot on the reader? I've never listened to one, but always been intrigued.
  6. Yup sure does.
  7. Yep, love audiobooks but found the same.

In the end it doesn't matter if you miss ten minutes of music while you concentrate more on riding.

Having said that, I just wear earplugs because I find my favourite tracks too distracting.
  8. The best audiobooks I've listened to are the Harry Potter books narrated by Stephen Fry. I travel 60km into work, so before I had a bike I would listen to them all the time in the car. It's a great idea for making use of the time spent traveling. If my attention drifted from the book, I could always rewind a bit. I haven't tried on the bike yet, but I have it all lined up. I have A Dance with Dragons on my iphone which is paired with my Sena 20s. not sure how i will go with having to rewind 30 seconds or so when i need.
  9. A friend always listens to Terry Pratchet audio books when they are on long rides.
    noise cancelling headphones a must.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I never listen to audio when on the bike, distractions can only increase your chance of getting squished by a car.
    I'll even pull over to take a phone call.