Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Drew, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Looking at auctions for a 250 to do up, thinking this might make getting a bike a little cheaper.

What sort of prices(compares to the 2nd hand market would a crashed bike go for at auction. (25% off?)

like these ones:

of course ive got no idea exactly what would need replacing etc

anyone got any words of wisdom on weather it's worth considering?

2. Depends on the bike and the damage.

25% would be the minimum.

Remember a pranged bike is harder to sell in future.

50% is a better starting point.

also remember some bikes might be more valuable as parts (eg, hardley's) so they just won't go that cheap.

When you are estimating how much damage a bike has, make an estimate, then double it (at least) bike parts cost twice what car parts cost and there will always be something you didn't count on.

Then add your costs of getting it on the road.

And be aware that some wreckers get annoyed be individuals showing up at these auctions and driving up your price. so they keep bidding, well past what they would pay for it just to make you pay more. I say go to one and get an idea about the typical amount of damage and how much they go for.

Then think about it. Take a typical bike, then ring around and figure out how much it would cost to repair. Include frame straightening etc.
  3. check this first

4. thought as much... parts i could deal with frame straitening may just shoot the idea in the foot.

was worth a look at i guess
  5. there are mobs out there that do frame straightening. about $500 I think (anyone?)

It is worth doing, if you can do your own labour and if you do your homework.

I've brought a few vehicles back from the dead now and it's never as cheap as you think it's going to be, but still worth it.
  6. will ponder some more... going to be while.. wreck or going.
  7. Glitch, I reckon you should write up an Auction Faq, due to the amount of times this question gets asked, and your fantastically detailed response each time :)

Short story on auctions :-

If you're looking at saving money. Don't bother. It's not worth it.
    If you're looking for a project to do (and you're willing to gamble a couple of grand on it). It's worth the adventure.
  8. That pretty much says it all.
    The rest is window dressing.