Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Attempting the Mitta Mitta 1000km

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Peppy, Mar 5, 2015.

1. That’s right, I wanted to ride 1000 kilometers in a day, and include as many twists and bends as I could find. I knew it would take time, over twelve hours, in fact. It would also take a smidgen of planning, and lunacy tempered with an ounce of realism.

But why? Honestly, I dunno. To test myself? Maybe, though probably not. I think I was just sick of the day-to-day grind. The idea had been at the back of my mind for a few years now, ever since blackadderblackadder, who is probably the reason I’m on two wheels suggested something similar. I wanted to
    ride somewhere I’d never been before, so it was time to see the newly paved and much talked about route to Mitta Mitta via the Omeo Highway.

The route was simple; Ride east 280km to Bairnsdale, fuel up, jump on the Great Alpine Road to Omeo, briefly departing at Swifts Creek for some bonus twisties. Then, enjoy the infinite corners along the Omeo Highway to Mitta Mitta with a little detour into NSW at Albury via Mt. Granya. The Home stretch would be via Whitfield and Mansfield and then wherever I decided on the way back.

So, with little more than a packed lunch and a mobile phone, it was time to fuel up and play. I roused too early to be hungry at 4.45am, but the significant other insisted I eat a plum to go with my extra strong coffee, making it to the local pit-stop by 5.30 am. It was strange to be up at this hour, packs of cyclists everywhere and a bike cop issuing somebody a ticket. Cyclists are crazy people - who’d get up at this hour just to ride a bike? Lunatics!

The road to Bairnsdale was unremarkable, taking a couple sips from a camel bladder being followed by mild stomach cramps made me realize that I was drinking from something that had been sitting around for over a year, having only been rinsed this morning. Should’ve really thought about that before putting that in the jacket. After I stopped drinking, the cramps went away, so I thought nothing more of it and stopped using it. I’d miscalculated how many layers to wear, and was uncomfortably cold. Daybreak did little to ease the chill as I pulled into Bairnsdale. It was 9am.

Daylight but overcast, the first set of twisty road beckoned en route to Swifts creek. The bends were a welcome change of pace and the cold was forgotten. A brief departure from the Great Alpine Road for some extra bends and I was in Omeo by 11am. Feeling good, fuel and a few sips of water and an obligatory, ’I'm alive’ SMS back home, I ask about the newly all-sealed patch of road to Mitta Mitta. Good grip, and loads of visibility was the answer. Good, goood....

The Omeo Highway was just as I had remembered it, rounding through Anglers Rest, the only surprise being the debris washed onto the road from concealed entrances. Though It did seem a lot shorter since I last passed through here on my Learners licence.... I guess I was more enthusiastic this time around. At the intersection between Omeo Highway and Bogong High planes road, I figured it best to eat something, even though I was still not hungry. Very odd given my title as a food disposal unit. Was something wrong? It was roughly midday after a 5am start.

So I opt for something light - Another piece of fruit and some chocolate. Everybody likes chocolate right? Sitting still made me wonder if the slight uneasiness in my stomach was real or imagined. No way of knowing, so lets just go. Heading North, I feel like I've been mislead. For some time, the new road is peppered with gravel thats come loose, and experience a few small slips in the hairpins. My stomach definitely wasn't right either. I wanted to puke, and acid was creeping up my throat like a pot of water boiling over.

Overwhelmed, I stop for a break. Slowly sipping water to no avail for fifteen minutes before I force myself back on the bike feeling no better - no point in sitting here all day, I've got another 500km to get home! The road clears up. My stomach does not. the surface is perfect. 35kph advisory signs litter the landscape like ornaments on a Christmas tree. I feel like a Jewish kid at Christmas, crawling through corners I’d worked so hard to reach. Soon after, I change tact. May as well have fun, stomach be damned and the pace heats up again.

Tight bends transition into gentle sweepers as the road opens up once more and my body is having its revenge. If I stop, I'm not sure I’ll start again so I push on, and deviate from the plan as I take a left turn toward Wodonga, eliminating the stretch I had planned through Mount Granya.

By Tangambalanga, and yes that is a town name I was done. I saw a bench with my name written all over it under a tree next to a general store. Replenishing water reserves I notice that they have some antacids that might abate the plume of rising chocolate acid causing me such distress. Twenty minutes later and maximum recommended dosage of antacids later, I'm munching on my first substantial in 9 hours. Some painkillers and another twenty minutes and I'm feeling better than I had
    all day, and I'm plotting a course Yackandandah and on to Beechworth; the only town within 50 kilometers I can pronounce.

Fuel at Yackandandah and I notice my bike looks a bit odd. My exhaust has fallen off! Okay, not all of it, just the tip. Now the bike has what looks like a little piece of genitalia hanging where once there was nothing but smooth lines. I'm off again, and Beechworth looks like a lovely town to visit,
    but I don’t stop and soon again I'm on familiar roads in the King Valley, hitting more twisty roads. Seven hundred kilometers down, I pass a sign to a lookout I always seem to notice passing through here. Well, today is the day I decide to have a look, and I take the gravel road for a couple happy
    snaps. Back on track, and a few corners later, its more crazy cyclists! Riding two abreast around a blind corner doesn't strike me as sane, but its easy enough to push on by. moments later I'm in Mansfield and I think its break time!

A while later its fuel at Alexandrea and onward. Passing through the Black Spur in the twilight hours I spot a couple BMW sportbikes on an after hours blatt through the hills. Its cold as I march onward to Melbourne, wondering how high the odometer will read when I step off the bike for the final time
    today. an hour goes by and I’m on my regular commute, trip meter in the high 900’s. Had I done it? Would it be one whole thousand kilometers? Struggling to remember the length of my commute I try crunch some numbers. I'm just guessing really and soon I'm close enough to home that it doesn't matter.

Pulling into home, the trip meter reads a respectable 990.0 km. Honey, I’m home! Need anything from the shops? You sure? Oh, ok.

Its been a wonderful adventure, though I didn't achieve the 1000 km I had in mind.

I’ll have to try again some other time.

- David.
    *While this is no literary masterpiece, I hope it was entertaining.

Total Distance: 990.0 km on Tuesday March 3rd, 2015.

Total Time Taken: 15.75 Hours, breaks included
    Average Speed: 62.9 kph, breaks included

Some pictures to come today / tomorrow, including accidental exhaust modification.
    • Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 9
  2. Great effort Peppy and shame about your sickness putting a damper on it but I'm sure the adventure made up for that. Excellent ride report and better luck next time.
  3. Amazing effort and a great read. :happy:
  4. Brilliant - fantastic write up!
  5. Pics or it didn't happen, right?

Proof I was up before the sun:
    image (2).
    Omeo Hwy: (note the exhaust near swingarm)
    image (3).
    At Y-something: oh noes!
    image (5).
    Awesome weather at the Y town
    image (4).
    I think its called Powers Lookout (Whitfield)
    image (6).
    Near Alexandra (think I spelt it wrong previously:)
    image (1).
    Final trip distance:
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Nice pics and you now have an excuse to fit a slip on too.
  7. Speedo could be out of cal too. Only needs to be out by 1%, and you have your 1000 klicks :couchpotato:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Well done Peppy. Good effort.
    What do you contribute your sickness to? Mould in the Camel? Your immune system going WTF because of the chill? or something you ate?
    I awoke last Sunday morning at 5am to see where the storm was at. Still showers in the high country, and probably lots of debris on roads. So, went back to bed.
    But this Sunday is looking good weather-wise. I have not re advertised it in the Mitta Mitta 1000 thread as those who want to do this kind of ride, want to do it alone. What was I thinking?
    Great write up, and Netrider need more posts like this.
  9. Mate fcuking awesome effort. Repeat- AWESOME effort. I'm super impressed and this makes my 200km odd journey up to Mt Buller this weekend seem like a trip to the fridge to get more beer while watching cricket!

Good on ya, and a great write-up to boot...
  10. P.s what bike is that...MT09?
  11. Nice write up mate. The Versy is a good choice for such a trip.
  12. Great to hear the report has been so well received, thanks all 8)

She was brilliant. A pair of cycling shorts with butt padding was all it took to be comfy (as reasonably as could be expected) all day. The MT-09 Tracer is shaping up to look pretty neat, too. I think they will both find their own niche.

The sickness, I have no clue. only eating acidic foods and not very often definitely didn't help. I had tiny sore throat in the morning, so it could be related to my inner ear going out of whack with the cold I came down with the morning after, or the new earplugs I was trying (moulded silicone) or something I'd eaten, or the camel bladder. Too many variables! I could've just made myself plain car sick (not bike sick - one does not get sick of bikes :p) along the many twists of the Omeo Hwy.

By the way, Boike, it wasn't that I didn't *want* to tag along or ride by myself, I was just very mindful of messing up somebody else's ride. Any small difference in riding preference / speed / style is magnified over such a long distance. I think the way the Far-riders do it is pretty good - set a meet point and time window and make your own way there (for the ride I went on, Omeo would've been good - reasonably predicatable arrival time). I wouldn't worry so much about time stamped receipts, though. I see it being really difficult to all travel as a group. If I've ridden with somebody a bunch of times, maybe it'd be more reasonable, but you'd pay a time penalty for both of you doing it, and you'd need to plan better than I did.

Oh, I forgot to post up the routes:

The Expectation: (minus the swift creek detour - pretty easy to find if you look)
    The Reality:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Why not have a go at an Iron Butt ride next time??
  14. Great effort and write up, enjoyed every sentence. Well done matey (y)
  15. Well done mate. Sounded like a challenging ride.

Good job on pulling over for a bit too when you weren't feeling great.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Setting yourself challenges (a plan) on your ride results in a good outcome, if you can roll with the unforecast events along the way. You have reacted well to the inconvenience of your illness, taken time out, and re-assessed your situation. Well done. Thanks for posting your RR.
    Other events which can affect your plans is unexpected weather, roadworks, and accidents. Thinking outside the box, on one documented ride, I used the roadworks down time to get off my bike and do some exercises, which postpone of the effects of fatigue.
    If you enjoy that style of ride, have a look at the Distance Riders Australia or/and FarRiders websites, or the international Iron Butt Association website. There are some amazing riders out there, willing to share their experience with us.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. bobthekelpybobthekelpy - stopping was easy! did you have any dramas with a similar run on the sportbike? I was lucky in that I felt pretty good shortly afterwards. Staying somewhere was definitely on the cards if things got worse.

Grey GentryGrey Gentry - you're right about having a plan to manage fatigue and adapting to a given situation. Probably the best thing I did on the ride was to drink plenty and stay hydrated, even though it wasn't that warm. Pretty sure I picked that up from the FarRiders website, too (and a good article on fatigue).

I'd need to plan more to hang out with the FarRiders; time pressure to be somewhere at a given time would be very tricky to manage. I'll keep an eye out for a destination that sounds like fun, though :).
  18. No real dramas when I did this on the Monster, it's a pretty good riding position. One issue I had was I missed a turn, as I wasn't using GPS, just written notes, plan to change this for the next one with a blue tooth headset linked to a map app. See how this goes before going to a dedicated GPS.

My only other issue was I ended up with a sore spot on my leg/arse from a seam from my Draggin's. Normally i'd wear my leather or Rukka touring pants for longer rides.

There are a couple of Farrides that are good for Melbourne riders coming up, one to Young, NSW in May and one to Aireys Inlet in October...
  19. Enjoyed the read. Planning a ride from Bairnsdale to Tumbarumba and return and found the comments useful. Not a 1000 kms in a day but an enjoyable run over a couple of days.
  20. Great read... Sounded like you had an amazing time, minus the stomach ache.