Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Attack of the Perseids

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cjvfr, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Over the next few days the Perseid Meteor shower will occur and be visible from Australia. The Perseid shower occurs along the Swift Tuttle Comet orbit and has been observed for over 2000 years.

Rate will range from 5 - 15/hour. More info below.

2. I was actually reading up on this the other day. From what I can tell, those of us here in Melbourne will be unlikely to see anything, even if we stay up between midnight and 4am when the peak will be. Adelaide, Sydney and Perth might see one an hour. Those in Brisbane and further north should be in for a decent show. See this blog post for more details.
  3. Yes, we will be a bit far south. Pity. Sydney and further north should do better. Tassie doesn't have much chance.
  4. Sounds like a Qld only event from my reading, the radiant (where the meteorites seem to come from) will be below the horizon for anyone further south.
  5. I was out last night in Melbourne and we got only 5 in 2 hours. Was testing my camera with an old manual lens. Was bloody cold and windy but still enjoyable. Looking north you could see a lot of "lightning" on a some what cloudless night which was really odd.
    • Like Like x 1