Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

At traffic lights, do u sometimes wait forever?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by GreenNinja, Jan 9, 2007.

1. At traffic lights, do u sometimes wait forever for it to go green?

I actually move back and forward to make sure that the "sensors" detect me.

Is it harder for the sensors to detect bikes because they are smaller?

or is it just me? or do u share the same experiences?
  2. I used to wait forever, or sneak through the red lights if I thought I could get away with it.

Then I figured out how to trigger them by rolling back and forth over the middle line sensor, but at the risk of touching those oil patches from cars in the middle of the road :( Usually works a treat.

But most of the time, I wait until a car rolls up behind me so that I can move forward and let them run over the wires instead.

I think most drivers don't realise that bikes don't always set the sensors off and know to keep distance from bikes, so even when I move forward to make space for them, they still hang far behind. Have to signal to them to come a little closer.
  3. Yeah the same happens to me, last week i was sitting at the lights behind another bike and a few min later nothing had changed, we were both rolling forward and back but nothing helped, some impatient pysco behind me in a 4x4 got angry and nearly rode over us, but it made the lights change.
  4. It's DEFINITELY happened to me, plenty of times!!
    A friend's father (who used to do road work) told me once that there are two types of sensors used (well, up here in brisbane anyway)... 1 is the weight sensor, the 2nd is a magnetic/conductive detector. he said that the weight sensors were more common, and that the magnetic ones were only used where the weight sensor would break (on steep slopes and stuff). I'm not sure how accurate that information is, so I'd be interested to hear what other NR peeps have to say.
    I always try to see where the sensor is and make sure I roll over it. However when that still doesn't work, I look left/look right/give her some gas and run that light!
  5. I believe you can call the Vic Roads hotline (131170) and report the lights as faulty. They are designed to be activated by all motor vehicles and can be tuned/adjusted to work accordingly.

Of course, that doesn't help you at the time, but if it's the same one every time you can get it fixed.
  6. Hey maybe we should be thankfull were not on scooters hahaha. I bet they never set anything off.
  7. Only experienced it with the Shaftsbury|Victoria Rd lights in West Ryde (Sydney) when trying to turn right out of Shaftsbury.

Ran the light. Never tried to go that way on the bike since.

... 'course the old 'neutral, stand-down, run over and push the pedestrian crossing button' can get you out of trouble sometimes too :grin:

8. If you see the square-shaped saw cuts in the pavement before the line at lights then induction loop sensors http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_loop are installed. If you see them after the line as well then there's a red light camera setup (the loops after the line are activated after the light goes red. Motion detected by the loop before the lights then after the lights is what sets off the red light camera). If you can't set them off (not enough steel to set them off) then you won't set off the red light camera if you choose to run the red light.

I've been caught before and waited two sets of lights then realised that the loops couldn't pick up the bike. Traffic light cycles are typically 1.5-2.5 minutes so if you're waiting any longer than that, the loops couldn't detect your bike.

The only weight sensors I know of are weigh-in-motion devices (steel plate installed flush with the pavement surface with strain gauges fitted) and they're used for two reasons. One is for traffic counting and the other is to detect overloaded trucks. They are installed on heavily trafficked routes, not at traffic lights. In my time on roadworks, I've never seen or heard of weight sensors at traffic lights.
  9. The traffic lights coming out of Northland shops are a real pain... just decided to avoid the place all together :p

Other than that, you could always do a stoppie and land your rear wheel on the cutout rectangles where the sensors are... surely they'd have to sense that :LOL: (if it was a weight sensor...)

Also, I was told by a mate that some traffic lights will change by flashing your highbeams at them and that this was designed for emergency services so they flash their pretty blue & red lights and it will change the sequence?! Not sure how correct this is as he's not very credible... it's one of those "a friend of a friend of a friend works for..." :blah:
  10. there's been threads on this before..... best way is to click your start button, sends an electrical pulse or something.. anyways after reading that on the last thread i tried it and it does work.
  11. I don't think it takes a lot because I can activate them on a pushbike. The ones that don't work are probably faulty or badly positioned.
  12. +1

Coming home from a coffee night the damn things wouldn't change so I had to do as Ktulu suggested and push the pedestrian crossing button. :evil:
  13. :rofl: LilEd does that... funny to watch someone jump off their bike at a set of lights and run to push the pedestrian crossing button in full gear :LOL:
  14. I agree. I've only come across a small number that don't seem to trigger easily. They are still a pain though.
  15. Interesting info. Thanks for that. :)
  16. The ones at warringah mall never detect me so I can never get a ticket. And as security informed me, if you can't get a ticket you can't be expected to pay. One advantage of being light :) ... er the bike that is, not me.
  17. most traffic light intersections in Perth seem to have the little white diamonds painted on them which are there to show cyclists where to possition themselves to ensure the lights trigger. When approaching lights and there are no other cars coming your way, you have to brave the oil slick and stop right in the middle, usually where there is a join line in the bitumen as that is where the sensor is strongest.
  18. I've had problems with induction sensors not detecting my bike. Best solution I've found is to simply put the bike in neutral, put the sidestand down, and then roll the bike back and forwards a little over the sensor. Whether it's the sidestand that sets of the sensor or the fact that it reduces the resistance between the ground and the frame I'm not sure but it works everytime for me.
  19. Yes happened to me as well, also its happened at a few shopping centres with there boomgates :twisted:
  20. There used to be one that would never trigger when I was on the RGV, but since changing to a bigger CC bike I haven't had the same problem?

Either they changed the sensitivity whilst I was upgrading or the extra weight is helping. Or maybe it was the 2 meat pies with chips and gravy I've been eating for lunch everyday for the past year. :eek: