Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

At last, I can relate to Germaine Greer

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by CrazyCam, Oct 26, 2015.

1. I saw, on the ABC website, this:-
    Germaine Greer defends views on transgender issues in response to university petition

Now, to be honest, I'm not too involved with this kind of argument, but, I just loved the closing two sentences....

"I'm getting a bit old for all this. I'm 76. I don't want to go down there and be screamed at and have things thrown at me," she told BBC News.

"Bugger it. It's not that interesting or rewarding."

Surprise, surprise, she is turning into a sensible human being after all.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. So you can teach on old dog new tricks
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Nope, she's still the same crazy she has always been, the difference is the shoe is on the other foot now and she can't handle it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. #5 коннор, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Trans Exclusive Radical Feminism.

(The name came from within, though some now shy away from it but not the ideology)

EDIT: I vaguely recall something* about some feminists making death threats to a trans singer (who identifies as female). At one concert after that -with beefed up security- some of 'em got caught with weapons.

*Which happened years ago, but I woulda read it recently. Just didn't stick in the brain.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I'd still root her!
  6. Eww, not even with yours!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. So Caitlyn Jenner is joint 2015 "woman of the year" along with Reece Witherspoon according to Glamour magazine. So what they are saying is, a man is better at being a woman apart from one???
  8. Ha! Not even if you wrapped her in the Australian flag & told to do it for your country??
  9. I somehow feel very unpatriotic all of a sudden, as well as unclean.
  10. No one calls themselves a Trans-Exclusive Radical Feminist (TERF). It's an epithet devised by some 3rd wave feminists who, following Judith Butler, define femininity qua gender (as opposed to female qua sex) as culturally constructed rather than biologically determined. The intention is to open participation in feminism to transexuals and intersex people.. Those who insist, by contrast, on femininity being tied to some essential fact of biology risk being labelled as TERFs, because this implicitly (and often explicitly) means denying the femininity of transsexuals and intersex people who identify as female.

The matter becomes especially heated when what definition of female one uses (biological vs cultural-identifcatory) determines who gains admittance to women-only spaces. Some of the universities around the country have two women-only spaces reflecting the ideological division. The femininity as gender brigade hate the female as sex mob, accusing them of participating in the exclusion of some of the most misunderstood and persecuted members of our society. The female as sex mob fret that the femininity as gender brigade risk opening women's only spaces (understood as the only places women can be free from patriarchal oppression) to any man to fronts up and says that they identify as female.

The issue cropped up recently in relation to some fund-raising gigs around the traps, with some punk bands refusing to play at a particular venue that had previously hosted a women's-only discussion on feminism put on by a women accused of making anti-trans statements online.

I think both groups are a bit cracked to be insisting on their own a priori definitions, when trans and intersex types are, by definition, liminal cases, and best dealt with on an a posteori (case-by-case) basis, but when you have victims of **** or domestic violence desiring safe, women's only places in which they can discuss their experiences, I can understand why they might want to have a strict policy on who gains admittance.

For what its worth, I've read Judith Butler's book which asserts that feminism ought to be based around a definition of femininity as cultrually-determined gender rather than female as biologically-determined sex. I understand why people are sympathetic to the argument, but I'm pretty sure few of them understand the philosophical presupposions Butler brings into play, nor how she contravenes them in adopting the position she does. Given she teaches literature, I anticipate that Greer does understand the underlying post-structuralist theory better than most. The problem is that you can't start discussing Derrida without immediately sounding like a dick, and that's a problem for any feminist. Better to just withdraw from the conversation.
  11. I'll admit that bit (parenthesised) came only from what (a respectable) someone on another forum mentioned, so I have no issue backing away from it if you know better.

However, there remains the problem of the outright trans-hate that comes from some feminist circles; when feminists and right-wing religious conservatives are in agreement to the point of direct quotes, one must question whether the views concerned are in fact feminist...
  12. I admit, I got lost reading what you posted Ogden!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ^ somebody read it?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Geez! I wonder who Reece W. pissed off that much?