Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aston Martin ALMS car flies farther than Wright Bros

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Fluffy Bunny Feet, May 26, 2006.

1. :shock: :LOL: can you imagine that guy on the coms... "umn..... I have a problem, there's no track."
  2. Not a bad effort that....

I saw a Formula Ford fly 47 metres at Calder back in 1999, in fact some of you may remember the crash, it was the same weekend as Craig Lowndes's roll over & Krusty and a few other Superbikes pile up on the back straight. The FF ended up halfway up the back of the Thunderdome banking making our job of extricating the injured driver on a 45 degree slope very interesting.

The aero package on race cars is designed to push them down when going forwards so when they go backwards at speed they generate lift and fly very nicely.
  3. #4 hornet, May 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  4. Or maybe Von Tripps effort at Le Mans in 1955, which killed him and 82 spectators.
  5. That was Pierre Levegh, but, yes, that was awful, and the world's worst racing accident. It had far-reaching ramifications for Australia too, as the fledgling Kangaroo racing team, David McKay, Tony Gaze, Dik Cobden and Jack Brabham, were severely limited from then on as many sports car races were cancelled.

Von Trips was killed at Monza in 1961 after a collision with Jimmy Clark......
  6. I stand corrected, and here is the awful proof;

Interesting that I could correctly remember the year, the number killed, but not the driver. Isn't the brain a funny thing?
  7. Levegh was not the unfortunate driver's real name; he raced under an assumed name as some rich and titled people did in those days. The year before he had unsuccessfully attempted to drive the 24 hours single-handedly in a Talbot, smashing the gearbox with just a couple of hours to go when fatigue saw him miss top gear and select second at high speed.

Fascinating pics, Inci, I thought I'd seen all the extant documentation on that awful crash....
  8. I don't know how rich and titled he was but his real name was Pierre Eugene Alfred Bouillin. He tok the name Pierre Levegh after his uncle Alfred Velghe who raced cars and bicycles under the name Levegh.