Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Asphalt Yes, Unmade No - Why?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by RobE, Aug 11, 2010.

1. On asphalt my Honda Hornet usually feels quite solidly connected to the road.

So what are the technical factors that make it to feel so insecure to ride on an unmade road?

Thanks
    Rob

2. you mean, like a gravel road? :-s

3. you want a technical explanation for why gravel roads are slippery?

4. i think he does...

5. Seriously?

You mean why does the bike move around on the gravel as opposed to being all planted & firm on the ashphalt?

Or have I missed something here?

6. I too would like to know this

7. When you are on a road the friction between the tyre and the road keeps you from sliding around. Put water on the road and you remove friction. It's a bit tricky because the tyre is moving so you may not think there is any friction but if you think of how a wheel is hard to 'scrape' along the road with the brakes on you can see that the friction is there. On dirt roads, the dirt moves under the tyre, greatly reducing friction between the tyre and the surface. Pretty easy to visualise.

8. lol

Ok unsealed roads have pieces of dirt, debri, sand and small rocks (gravel) over them.
    The tire normally grips the road, but lets say you drive over fine sand or rocks or leaves, it will grip them or that surface instead, now they arn't glued or connected to the grounds surface, so they will slide out under the force of your tyre, causing you and your bike to slide out too.
    imagine trying to rollerskate over marbles its the exact same principle.

Driving bike over slippery, marble like surface = no traction = loss of control = all fall down

:-s Shem 8-[

9. OP;

Asphalt is made with a special chemical called "icantbleiveitsnotfriction" which dramatically increases your tyres desire to stick or "magnet" itself to the road. This is why bikes fall on their side when you leave them stationary with no side stand / center stand - the side of the tyres has more rubber and the desire for that part of the tyre to attract or "magnet" to the asphalt is stronger, hence the bike falls over. A bike with no tyres on it or on gravel road will not fall over. Try it, you'll be surprised.

Gravel roads only have this chemical for a short period (few years) after the road has been made as the rain slowly washes it away. As the majority of the countries roads where made many many years ago all gravel roads have no trace of this chemical left.

10. Yeah, that guy who went from here to london on a postie bike ran out of it a few times and fell off. Luckily they sell it in cans in poorer countries so you can just spray it on your tyre.

11. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a similar compound to blinker fluid?

12. it's been superseded on modern roads with Sham-tar.

13. Best way to apply it is with a right-handed paintbrush. Sorry lefties, but that's just how it is.

14. And it comes in a similar container to striped paint!
    It has the white lines "prepackaged" for easy laying....

15. Are you genuinely asking to stimulate a conversation about bike types/tyre types or just trolling?

Anyway, I think the answer to your question is clearly that Honda's are crap on dirt. For good dirt riding, it's best to get dirty with a kwaka. Everyone knows that. ;)

16. yes!! i forgot about that :p how could i forget!? ](*,)

:rofl: BEST sentence on here yet... snip snip snip ;)

17. True. They're much better suited to being buried in it :D.