Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ASMA Motorcycle First aid course

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by KANGA, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Hey guys thought I would throw up a review of the ASMA course.

My deciding to organize the course came from a crash on the old road. I was going to head out and meet up with a friend at Berowra for an afternoon run when a notice came up on my facebook feed saying that there was a big crash just north of pie in the sky. After a little while a photo appeared of the crash scene. An ambulance was attending but I had a moment where I thought what if I came around a corner and came upon that scene without anyone else least of all an ambulance there. I wouldn’t have the first clue of what to do and perhaps more importantly what not to do.

Paul who ran the course is an ex motorcycle paramedic with a wealth of experience. Paul and Ian (NR:Felix) ran us through everything from treating a snake bite to the correct procedure and necessary situations for removing a motorcycle helmet.

The practical parts of the course were very interesting and at times entertaining. The experience of having my helmet removed by someone else was surreal. When you throw your helmet on it’s a quick procedure, when someone else slowly removes it you realize how much your face actually compress’s and deforms as it goes on. The more surprising fact is that by using the correct techniques the head and neck can be kept practically immobile while the helmet is slid around it. Although if you start to give feedback which makes it sound like the helmet is giving birth the patient may experience some discomfort when he pisses himself laughing!

The CPR was another thing I found very useful to know as it was one of the skills that would come in handy in a situation outside of a motorcycle accident situation. I still have staying alive stuck in my head.

The other aspect that was really enlightening is in the name of the organization, Scene management. The course really outlined how much a bit of organization and management could make a big difference in getting aid for the patient faster, minimizing the risk of dangers occurring from other road users and dealing with anyone who may have been emotionally affected by the accident.

Those of you who enjoy going out and meeting other motorcyclists will enjoy this course on that note as well. It was great to meet a few other netriders and swap stories.

The course taught me so much but I hope like buggery I never have to use what I learned.

I hope you decide to do this course.

Oh and the cookies! Damn I could write an essay on Paul’s wifes cookies. Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, they were bloody perfection ... you just gotta get to them before Ian does!