Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Asking a big favour

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Aug 10, 2013.

1. In a couple of weeks, my favourite of all singers, Joan Baez, will be performing, possibly for the last time in Australia, at the Royal Theatre in Canberra. I've had my tickets for months, and just this week I contacted her management to see if it was possible to meet her. Their reply was that they can't organise such things, but that she often meets and greets at the stage door...
    So, does any Netrider have any connections with the Royal Theatre in Canberra??
    I know it's a lot to ask, but I'm a Joan Baez tragic, and my bucket list has only on item: to meet the woman who's music has accompanied the last four or more decades of my life.

2. Pm darkhorse
  3. Thanks for the tip!
  4. If that's the only thing on your bucket list it is indeed tragic. Be that as it may, I sincerely hope you pull it off old fella.
  5. He might if he meets her by the sound of it.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Yeah, I know it sounds pretty sad, but you've no idea how much Joanie's music has pervaded every aspect of our lives since we first heard her back in the early 70s and went to her first Australian concert in 1974. I have all her albums, and all her recorded songs probably twice or three times over....
    I like lots of other music, and musicians, too, but Joan is at the head of all my playlists.
  7. Or, he's ticked everything else off already!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. im ticking mine off rite now
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Don't know anyone at the Royal, but I do know a bunch of people in 'the industry' in Canberra, so I'll see what I can do...
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Went to see her on Thursday night Paul. Wonderful stuff, her voice can't quite hit the amazing heights she could in the 60's but it's still amazing and she seems totally inexhaustible.

Good luck with the meeting...
  11. That's great news, thanks Tony.

She IS 72 years old now, so I guess her voice isn't going to be Woodstock-like, or even Diamonds and Rust like, but she IS Joan Baez, and that's enough.

I remember years ago my brother paid some huge price for tickets to see Willie Nelson. He (Nelson) was stoned and drunk and Phil walked out in disgust.......
  12. She did Diamonds & Rust and did it well. She also did From Little Things, Big Things Grow and The Band Played Waltzing Matilda as well as the mandatory couple of Dylan songs and a lot more of her classic stuff. You shouldn't be disappointed Paul. She interacted with the audience and it was a very relaxed night. Mind you, I haven't seen so many superannuated hippies in years. :)

Her son Gabe is accompanying her as a percussionist (he's good) along with Dirk Powell who plays outstandingly good piano, mandolin, bass, accordion and fiddle(but not all at the same time)​
    • Like Like x 1
  13. There's that too of course.
  14. You over 40 people crack me up.
  15. over 60's more like
  16. Never trust anyone over 30
  17. We have no interest in being trusted, just obeyed, got it ?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. McS and me are both DOUBLE 30, so don't mess with us!!
    • Like Like x 1