Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ask a motorcycle thief

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by MV, May 5, 2012.

1. Stolen from HFL:

Link won't stay open for long, but here's the text:

• Like Like x 50
  2. Wow, good read.
  3. Definitely a good read, thanks for sharing !
  4. Thanks for the post! The clutch lever thing is really obvious and easy, definitely something I'm going to use.
  5. rather take the brake lever.........
    at least then they have half a chance of crashing.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Brilliant, thanks.
  7. Mate in Bathurst, Got locked up, Seven chains and padlocks on his Bonnie, we came back and all seven were around the post behind the bike and relocked, Bike still there, They didnt want it,
    Beemer in Sydney, 3 Chains and padlocks, All relocked and laying stretched out under the Bike, Didnt want that one either,

It took 6 seconds to steal a Honda 750 4, Glad, I didnt have one,

If they want it, They will take it, No matter what you do,

3 bikes on the left of mine and two on the right of mine, got stolen, Mine sat there unlocked, untouched, Over a period of 2 years,
    But I sat there and watched mine, The door of the pub was propped open with my little wedge, Any one went near my bike, I was out there like a flash,

If you wanted to close the door, you waited till I left or got flattened, My bike is out there,
    You dont argue with some one who can put 164 Kilo's above his head easily . or pick up a 20 stone bloke by the arm and lift them out of the way, I could,
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Good read definitely..

But it just goes to show you can spend ridiculous amounts of money on alarms and chains... but at the end of the day the only real protection is full comp insurance.
  9. Great read, thanks for posting. I took from this that one of the better ways to avoid theives is to own a really unpopular bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Is this you back in those days Brian??

Attached Files:

11. Generally true, but I'd be hesitant to take on a crackhead with a screwdriver in his pocket.
  12. Close enough, I was a Blacksmith then, and Forged Train axles, 2 ton each,
  13. Thanks for the post, great read
  14. I always had the idea in my mind that I would be more safe by using a disk lock and parking by an easy to take bike. Though this doesn't count for at home, but all my life I'v only had indoor garages so thats not as much a worry.

Is this still a good idea? What do you guys think is the best thing to do?

I'm not the biggest fan of chains, I don't trust them, even in school when I'd lock my bike up every day, I never felt it was safe with a chain. And that was just school, dont get many kids with $1000 bolt cutters there.
  15. As said, the best thing you can do is get comp insurance
  16. Interesting, the cop suggests the pop it in the van method is the most common while the successful thief says that is the worst way...

Maybe the reason the copper thinks the van method is the most successful is because they are the ones they caught and not the ones who rode off?
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Comp insurance is not going to stop your bike getting stolen.

But at least you get a little back.

Yeah, I agree. They both have there +'s but I'm going to take the thieves word for it.
  18. Once it will....

The problem is that thefts, particularly multiple will make you virtually uninsurable and will significantly increase premiums. You can get away with one without too much issue I suspect - but if that happens, security would definitely need to be reviewed to protect future insurance.
  19. Thanks MV that was one of the most interesting things i have read in a while!
    pretty damn cool

Very interesting

would love to keep this thread going with any similar material
    the thieves are pretty scummy but what they have to say is riveting

imagine the money in a high end professional bike chopping business

Chain her to the pole hey.
    the clutch lever idea is good too
  20. The only way, Park it where you can see it, Which I know is not possible,