Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

asiancycle flush indicator

Discussion in 'Everything Else' at netrider.net.au started by daedalus, Nov 16, 2009.

1. http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_put_flush-mount_flashers_on_the_front

thinking of buying this so my indicators wont smash if i drop my bike

is it legal?

or if it is not will police and mechanics (for rego renewal) notice as it would be a pretty obscure law. furthermore most people wont know that a gpx250 wont come with this stock, as some bikes comes with flush indicators stock

what do you guys think?

2. ive been done with indicators twice canary and failed rwc. on 2 different bikes so the law is not that obscure.

But I dont see why they wouldnt be legal unless they are not far enough appart. they should be fine.

What bike? they look ugly as all hell. personally I wouldnt bother. indicators are cheap to replace if you drop it.... plus you are paying to replace them now. Dosen't make sense to me

3. I admit they look better but as Slick said distance between indicators is an ADR requirement and you will be penalised for it in Road Worthy checks.

6.3.3.1. in width: For front indicators, the following requirements shall all be met:
    1. there shall be a minimum distance of 240 mm between illuminating surfaces,

For rear indicators, the clearance between the inner edges of the two illuminating surfaces shall be at least 180 mm on the condition that the prescriptions of paragraph 2.11. are applied even when the registration plate is mounted;surfaces.

Australian Design Rule 19/01 - Installation of Lighting and Light-Signalling Devices on L-Group Vehicles) 2007

4. thanks for that. how do i measure the 240mm ? is it the distance (straight line) between the two front indicators?

reason for replacing is mine is smashed atm, so instead of buying new stock stalks i may as well buy this one so it wont smash again

may i ask why were you fined? was your indicators less than 240mm apart?

how much was the fine?

in your opinion do the ones in the link i posted look legal?

5. ive been personally done for.

*indicators too small
    *Indicators blinking too fast
    *indicators blinking too slow
    *indicator melted off (causing the others to go too fast)

Ive never actually been done for them too close together. Im still dubious about the "too small" one. They were quite bright but what can you do.

No fine. Just canary a canary that forced me to get about 15things fixed and have it re roadworthied and inspected by vicroads

6. what does "canary a canary" mean? sorry i am new so dont know all the jargon yet :p

assuming canary means you are not allowed to ride your bike on the road until the offending item gets fixed, did a cop stop you on the road to issue the warning or did it just not pass the roadworthy inspection?

if it is the latter i can always just install the stock ones again prior to the check :)

7. yeah the first one.

im not sure i even know what "canary a canary" mean lol. mustve had a brain skip.

I assume I meant to say: "I was issued a canary" yeah its a defect notice in victoria. Got stopped for being to loud and he took me to town on the list of defects

8. The "straight line" distance between the part that lights up, the yellow lens and its integral reflector. So there must be greater than 240 mm between the parts that light up. Not just the bulb, the reflector and lens as well.

PS: In Victoria Defect notices were and I think still are printed on yellow pieces of paper that are stuck to the vehicle when a notice is issued. yellow = canary

9. may i ask what do your indicators look like so i can gauge what to buy?

what happens if i get issued a defect notice ("canary"). Can i still ride the bike but i just have to get it fixed by a certain time period?

10. That is at the discretion of the Police, usually if the vehicle isn't dangerous you will get a ride and fix by date type infringement.

11. oh they were (4 bikes ago) ****ing tiney little LED billet alloy things. looked ****ing cool as.

the actual indicator was probably only 1cm high X 2 or 3cm wide though. but its really down to the cop on the day. these days I just stay stockish to avoid the hassle

12. Too fast and too slow??? Gawd damn there goes my idea for my indicator plans...