Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Recall Asian Honda Motor Co, Ltd—Honda CB300F / CBR300R Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Motorcycling News' at netrider.net.au started by NetriderBot, Jul 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Product description
    Single cylinder, 300cc road going motorcycle. CB300F is naked version - CBR300R has fairing fitted.

Identifying features
    CB300F:
    MLHNC52U3F5100001 to MLHNC52U9G5200248

CBR300R:
    MLHNC51U5F5100003 to MLHNC51U7G5200699
    What are the defects?
    Due to incorrect Quality Control during the manufacturing process, the engine crankshaft bearings may fail and cause the engine to stop suddenly and be unable to be restarted.

What are the hazards?
    If the engine stops suddenly while riding, the machine may become unstable and cause the rider to crash.

What should consumers do?
    Take their motorcycle to their nearest Honda Dealer, at their earliest opportunity, and arrange to have the motorcycle repaired as soon as possible.

Supplier
    Asian Honda Motor Co, Ltd(link is external)
    Traders who sold this product
    Authorised Honda Motorcycle Franchises

Where the product was sold
    Nationally

more »

2. CB300F / CBR300R are 300cc...
    But the recall states 500cc...

3.  Top
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. So glad i came up on this thread post, As a letter hasn't reached me from Honda yet.

I've been riding my bike (CB300F) to work and on weekend rides 3,600km so far in 4ths.
    Advised not to ride :( due to the potential for engine failure, crash and possibly serious injuries and or death. farrrrk

What are the defects?
    Due to incorrect Quality Control during the manufacturing process, the engine crankshaft bearings may fail and cause the engine to stop suddenly and be unable to be restarted.

What are the hazards?

If the engine stops suddenly while riding, the machine may become unstable and cause the rider to crash.

Any one know if one can get the bike refunded (dealer says no) as Honda have not released a plan of action yet for the global fix..
    I'd rather a new bike maybe a MT07 or CB500F so to get on with it and be able to commute ride and pay my bills.

5. They don't usually refund for vehicle recalls. What the fix is will probably depend on the number of effected bikes and the complexity of the fix. It may be a simple matter of checking the bearings and sending you on your way. It may be a bottom end rebuild or a replacement motor.

6.  Top
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ok I may have of jumped the gun, turns out my bike is not on the list. Clear to ride whooo! Relived to say the least.
    I feel for the others that have to go through the rigours of getting their bike fixed and the time off the road.

Thank you for help.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mine is not on the list, but yesterday I got a recall letter.

Sooooo......

Who would you trust Brisbane northside to do the rebuild? I'm not so keen on the dealer I bought it from doing the repair given their apparant lack of torque wrench skills.

9. Shit jut got the letter too :( that's me off the roads for a while.

10. My cbr300r is part of this recall I don't even want the bike anymore. They aren't sure when these parts will be come avaliable... going to speak to someone on the legal department see my options. Resale of this bike will be effected. Let's be honest. No one will want anything to do with the 300 range after this.

11. I'd be interested to know what you find out, please share when you have some news.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Just took my 300r in to the dealership today for the recall. Was told to leave it there and that i could be waiting up to 2 months for them to get the parts in.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. #13 cjvfr, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    That sucks, I don't think they can deprive you of the bike for two months without some compensation. The ACCC would probably class this as a Major problem i.e.

A product or good has a major problem when:
    • it has a problem that would have stopped someone from buying it if they’d known about it
    • it is unsafe
    • it is significantly different from the sample or description
    • it doesn’t do what the business said it would, or what you asked for and can’t easily be fixed.
    Repair, replace, refund

Give Honda MPE Australia a call and see if they also say it will be a 2 month wait or if your dealer is bullshitting you :1300 559 846

14. My letter said I will get another letter when parts are available. It didn't say don't ride, just to stop if you hear unusual noises. A lot of good at 100kmh when you can't hear anything but wind.
    Has anyone heard of any bikes actually experiencing the problem?

15. Yeah I was thinking 2 months was excessive. They told me I need to bring it in and leave it there for it to be in the queue to wait for parts.
    I didn't hear a noise either, I punched my VIN into that site and it said to contact a dealer. The dealer couldn't hear it either due to the Yoshi pipe.

16. Called Honda: 'the dealer is correct about the delay of parts and the amount of time that it might take'
    Called ACCC; 'with problems such as a recall, they are required to the fix the problem within a 'reasonable' about of time.. and the ACCC cannot determine what is a reasonable about of time and the fact it is a big recall there very well could be a shortage of the parts. I would need to seek legal advice to determine if 1 - 2+ months is a reasonable amount of time.

• Informative Informative x 3
  17. Id be taking a bucket load of pics of my bike from every conceivable angte before I dropped it off to compare for damage when I get it back.

Just to be sure they don't accidently drop it and forget to mention it.