Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

article: how to break in your new engine

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by abvc, Mar 3, 2009.

1. interesting article which in line with most if not all motorcycle manuals and contradict with the common conception raised from sites such as motuneusa

http://www.lazymotorbike.eu/motorcycles/breakin/

2. Unlike motomans site though there are no facts evident to support his theory.

Having worked with John Bennett (of Head Mod fame for you oldies) who first introduced me to the breaking in procedure promoted by motoman back in the early 80's, all I can say is I saw the evidence first hand in the high performance engines he built at the time and also in the consistant performance of his engines over time (eg an XU1 engine that was still producing significantly more power than a factory built engine at over 250,000Ks , less than o.5L oil consumption per 7,500k, no blowby evident and a leakdown test of less than 3%).

I have used the same procedure on my own engines, many of which I owned to over 300,00K an outperformed factory built and run in engines.

It should be noted that the comparison running in technique quoted in the article (run to redline and leave to cool) is not what motoman advocates anyway.

3. i don't know if using 0.5L in 7500 km and leaking at 3% rate is a good measure.

as far as i understand, you implied that the article followed Motoman in a wrong way, which brought them to the conclusion they had. that could be true.

4. I'd stick with Motoman's advice.

5. 3% leakdown is outstanding. JB is a top spannerman. He has the trophies to prove it.

6. I dunno, But my K1 GSXR went from the showroom floor and onto the autobahn in Germany through the whole rev range all gears, motoman stuff.

Changed the oil and filter after getting to my friends place outside of Stuttgart it had like 45km on it. He got his gear on and we headed to Freiburg through the hills.

When we got there it had just over 300km on the clock, changed the oil and filter again.

There was no constant speed riding and i took it through the entire rev range.

My friend there still has it, i sold it to him when i came back to Aus, its got over 94k km now and he tells me it runs like new.

The reason why we are told to break in a new bike / car easy is manly due to liability reasons. Can you imagine if the manufacture told you to beak in via motoman method. Now they would be in whole lot of shit if something happened.

Anyhow i broke in my XR6 the same way, off the show room floor, took it through the hills changed the oil at 55km when i got home. It got 84400 km now and runs perfect, idles like a kitten and i get 9l/100 on the freeway and about 11l/100l around town which better than most other xr6. That's what the guy at ford told me.

Anyhow that's my 2c for the nite. Its a subject that if you ask 10 different people you get 10 different answers. Do what works for you, and if your not happy don't do it.

7. Reasoned logic and common sense.

There's no place for you here my friend. :LOL:

8. I broke in my Triumph daytona 675 kinda like motoman break in (and a VERY experienced rider friend I know).. Waited til warm, gave it a bit every now and again. Otherwise just rode it like normal.

As a result I've burnt zero oil. The compares with lots of others over on the triumph675.net forum who seem to talk about having to top up oil. Only time I did anything with the oil was when I changed it. Stayed at the top of the dipstick marking otherwise.

Anyhow, that's the way I'll break in my next engine, screw the hovering around stalling revs (I suspect labouring the engine is much worse).

For your info people: they redline the engines at the factory as part of their post assembly testing.