Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Article about bicycle safety - relevant to bikes

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Glekichi, Oct 22, 2011.

• Like Like x 2
  1. farkers got it in the sun

Helmet cameras track cyclists' close calls

RESEARCHERS have used helmet mounted cameras to analyse the dangers of cycling through Melbourne's streets.

The aim of the Monash University project is to discover exactly what happens in the final seconds before a cycling crash occurs.

In what many cyclists already believe to be the case, the study reveals in more than 87 per cent of crashes the motorist is at fault.

How do we get one done for us?
  2. well yes but...

is'nt it really up to the cyclist to reduce the risk.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Well said MT.

We might have do our own informal version - get those go pro's going.
  4. Bloody cyclists. You can't see them and they come out of nowhere. And if 87% are hit by drivers that just proves it.

They should wear protective clothing and high vis vests. And what about a TAC extortion Tax... oops... safety levy ... while we are at it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. They don't even pay the transport accident charge so no chance of a levy

6. So if you jump on the treadlie to head to the local milk bar for bread and milk, we need to pay the TAC levy?

I understand what your saying and in part agree, but this would have to be a nightmare to introduce?
  7. No one is seriously suggesting that we charge pushbikes a levy. Pushbikes provide a societal benefit in reduced congestion, reduced pollution etc and hence deserve to get reduced (free) insurance.

As motorbikes also provide a societal benefit of reduced congestion, reduced pollution etc they also deserve reduced (free) insurance.
  8. This article is forcing me to re-examine my thinking about cycles.

For a couple of years now I've been increasingly more perturbed at the on-road behaviour of cyclists, but I now think that this is partly because I am looking at them from the point of view of a motorcyclist (and long term cyclist) who has learned to instinctively avoid the stupidity of car drivers. And these new breed of cyclists haven't.

As a result, I've been judging cyclists that are not doing the pre-emptive defensive stuff that I do, and ignoring the fact that the car drivers are still doing the same shit that I avoid without even noticing any more.

Truth is, cyclists do need to learn more defensive skills (as the author points out), but car drivers are just getting worse, not better.
  9. Youve raised a good point titus. Old school cycling, we were all taught how to ride, the older generations passed down their knowledge. Problem is cycling has become so much of a fashion trend in recent times that alot of this basic knowledge/skills has been lost at their own peril. This new generation dislike being guided and they remian misinformed, something that we are working on, Im starting with the kids at a junior level with some success(my kids are bloody awsome little riders and are a great example to some nuffys out there) but getting it into all cyclist heads is going to take a little longer.
  10. titus I too am active with cycling as well as motorcyling...

Although I still ride the pushy up the Dandys a couple of times per week, to be honest, I feel safer on a motorcycle than I do riding a bicycle on a road..
    Sure a lot of the smidsy stuff applies equally and cyclists need to develop defensive skills to help avoid it but most of the time you're safety is out of your control.

On a moto, you can control your space on the road but on a pushy you have no option but to stay as left as possible thus your safety is totaly dependent on the motorists from that perspective..
    Most pushy accidents involving cages are due to bikes being hit from behind because ther wern't given enough space...
  11. There is still plenty we can do to help protect ourselves though joe, I refuse to leave my safety in the hands of drivers.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. I'm finding a lot of cyclists, in particular a girl at my work, are not active road users in other forms (car, MC etc.) and are therefore not learning 'the way of the road'. These are the kinds of people who are dangerous, becuase they bomb around on the road, absolutely oblivious to the hazards going on around them.
  13. The OP about the videos can't be used as a source of statistics however. It can give examples of what the problem is but to say that 87% of all incidents are caused by cars is invalid.

An issue is that those with video cameras are possibly more likely to ride properly and take more care and not get into a situation where they are at risk.

It's a bit like the self-selection process that has been argued about crash rates and ABS. Those riders who select to have an ABS option may be those who are less likely to crash in the first place.

As for issues like protective clothing for cyclists...

The parliamentary inquiry asked me whay I was opposed to mandating protective clothing. I suggested that a certain amount of the call for ATTGAT is to make it more inconvenient for riders (and reduce the amount of riding).

I pointed out that over the length of my commute from Brunswick I was most unlikely to get over 50km/hr - a speed that cyclists can get up to. If it is so critical that a scooter rider (for instance) has protective clothing, then logically cyclists should wear it. I've yet to hear of a call that cyclists need protective clothing.

That could be true - I've found that there are times where I'll slow down or position myself differently because I'm worried about the behaviour of some car driver - only to see a cyclist fly past and end up having a near miss because he (it's usually a bloke) obviously either had no idea of how to predict stupid behaviour or believed that being in the right would stop anyone behaving badly towards him.
  14. Absolutely!
    I used to do a lot of bike ed for BV and strummed a lot of stuff into my talks.
    Also did a few rides with highschools and biggest part was explaining to students on some road sections about road placement, what to look for, etc..
    So many would ride virtually in the gutters.....](*,)

mike also makes a good point that there are many cyclists that wouldn't know the road rules and why I wanted BV to start a push on road laws in high schools and where every student should be tested on it as a compulsary part of school studies.
    I think if authorities expect pushy riders to be on the road from 13 years of age then it would be in societies interest that everyone has a good understanding of road rules regardless if someone drives or not.
  15. +100! How did that go down with BV ?
  16. BV isn't a problem, higher authorities on the other hand.....:facepalm:
  17. That's exactly what I'm talking about.
    But it also means I've been letting the driver off way too lightly.
  18. Relax chooky, I was being ironc and was too lazy to use the ironic emoticons. I was simply saying the same bullshit that motorists say about motorcycles.
  19. I think one of the big problems is that there seems to be no early education on bike riding any longer. When I went to school, and even when my oldest went to school, they had occasional trips to traffic schools, where you were exposed to road rules on bikes and in go karts. While it didn't fully prepare you for the road, it gave you some idea on how stupid some (go kart) drivers would behave and react and what you had to do on a bike to be more defensive.

One issue with pushies is that they tend to behave similar to us bikies in certain situations, for example heading to the front on a red light. Car drivers really get annoyed with that (as has been discussed in other posts here), but even more so with pushies, because they have to overtake them again. Just imagine, you made it to the front of the queue as a cage driver and suddenly this $#%*ing push bike rider is right in front of you. The street may be reasonably narrow, so you know it will be hard to pass him/her. While the same driver gets annoyed with us, at least he/she won't have to overtake us after the light changes. :)