Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Arrrgh! Dropped my baby...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Marc, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Yeah, I did...on Saturday.

I guess it happens when you least expect it, like taking it out of the garage and rolling it through the driveway :cry:

Well, the bike sort of slowly sank to the right, away from me. I saw the whole thing and recognised for what it was, but just didn't react quick enough to do anything to stop it from hitting the concrete ground. Perhaps, I was not willing to risk stuffing up my back again?

In hindsight, I should have leant the bike towards me more so but I was navigating it away from my car and must have made that mistake.

Anyhow, I had no trouble picking it straight up. VTR250 isn't all that heavy to start off with.

*** Damage assessment ***

Minor scratches on the muffler which I might be able to polish out...minor scratch on the bar-end and lever, a non-descriptive tiny black plastic broken bit and a broken bit off the right foot rest...what is it that is screwed underneath at the end of it? (edit: I've now been told this is a hero-peg)

None of which was going to stop me riding so...

*** Subsequent riding ***

Yeah, I went as far as the golf club... at 30km/h max haha. (Did I mention that I've only started riding the bike?) It was not a busy road and none of the cagers tried to wipe me out...yet. Well, I was wearing my fluro safety vest too:) It was a good practice ride.

*** Things learnt ***

1. Don't ever lean the bike against you while rolling it out of the garage where the ground is not quite level.

2. Naked bikes come off easy with no major damages from a stationary drop.

3. Don't let little mishapps discourage you.

4. Practice, practice and practice.

5. Enjoy riding!

I think that's about enough of my ranting for the day...

2. Thank yourself lucky that your not on a fully faired bike!
    it can end up being rather expensive,

plus.. everyone is bound to drop their bike atleast once in their times
  3. Ouch!

Bad luck matey but hey could've been worse and cheap lesson!

Use your leg to wear the weight of the bike. Mine's a 200 kilo monster and not much fun to walk around with. My foots still buggered from my last off and i was walking it while on it down the drive way and nearly fell over cause my ankle almost gave from the slight weight leaning to the right....

Good luck with your riding :grin:
  4. Thanks guys:)

I know it was a cheap lesson....I shall remember nonetheless.

Now I am wondering if I should venture into the wonderful world of night riding :idea:

5. Yes! :p

Balls out and ride! Pick some well lit and well known streets first though. Safety first after all.

If you are looking for someone to putt along with, I could be down for it on some nights and weekends, i'm a huge advocate of good form and won't push you outside your comfort zone. Up to you though, drop me a line if you're ever interested, I'm in the shire but don't mind trekking out westerways. Now northshore....thats a different story :evil:
  6. Get on it to move it.
  7. That's good advice and exactly what I do. I never move it without sitting on it. It's pretty hard for it to fall over pushing it around when you're on it.
  8. Good point but if you're driveway is gravel, a slight slip of one of the feet can have a very "tiiimmmbbeeerrr" resonance about it.... Sometimes stepping off and leaning it on you can be helpful, especially if you're girls slightly heavier.... i thank the flying spaghetti monster every day that I don't have to manouvere a goldwing around... although I would kill for a vintage 75 goldwing if anyone's seen one :wink:
  9. good advice.