Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Around-Australia record rides

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hornet, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Back in the day when things weren't as stupidly safe and viciously policed as they are today, riders competed for the fastest time to ride around Australia. This Wikipedia page documents the facts, but not the emotions and excitement these epic adventures engendered at the time, World records for fastest motorcycle ride around Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There's at least a couple of interesting names in there too :LOL:

2. Have met one of them at a fund-raiser event before.

3. Right, who can pick at least two others???
  4. Uncle Tex is the winner. We have talk about having another go, with an event to raise $$ for one of his kids charities. Get him to tell you the story about his ride when you see him next.
  5. I think I might have an article at home about the Ray Kerr Lansom one.

When you look at the map you can sort of see down to 9-11 days (if you exclude Hobart) but less than that just starts to seem impossible.

Love the fact that 5 of those records are held by bikes 500cc or smaller.
  6. If my assumption that one is a very upright guy, I got instruction from one of them in the very early days of their business.
  7. Correct, Warwick Schuberg is the Stay Upright man

And Chris Peckham, who passed away a few years ago, was the much-feared scrutineer for the Castrol Six Hour Race at Amaroo Park...