Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Armour in Jackets?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Catie, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Have been having a look at a few jackets, and noticed the varying types of armour in the elbows/shoulders. Some have "CE" armour, others "TDF". What's the difference between the two, and which is most suitable for a learner?

I'm leaning towards the harder plastic type armour rather than the foamy stuff, just feel like it'll give me a bit more protection when I stack...

Also, has anyone had any experience with Biker Gear jackets?

Feel free to tell me to search or move thread!
  2. CE is a european certification. so it meets a minimum standard.
    I have soft in some jackets and hard in others. don't give it much thought.
    tiger angel uses soft but its a mix of different densities to spread the impact
    and cushion a bit.
  3. My dri rider jacket had an optional ce armour upgrade, so it sounds like it is better or a clever marketing ploy. (I stuck with the australian standard one though).
  4. I looked at a Dririder Jewel jacket today, and it had hard armour in elbows and shoulders, but have also tried ones on with foam armour. Just confused as to which will offer better protection or if it's personal choice.

Don't want to spend $300 on a jacket that I think I'm getting better protection on when I could spend $150 on a similar jacket that offers the same protection, just without the brand name! But at the same time the Jewel was very comfy compared to others and is longer...

All this stuff is too confusing! Can someone please write a Motorcycle Gear for Dummies book? :)
  5. TDF is twin density foam also often referred to as dual density foam (DDF). The hard side disperses the blow whilst the soft side absorbs the impact. The "CE approved" thing might roughly be described as a European equivalent of meeting "Australian Standards". It's best explained by the bureaucrats:

"CE marking is a declaration by the manufacturer that the product meets all the appropriate provisions of the relevant legislation implementing certain European Directives...[t]he initials "CE" do not stand for any specific words but are a declaration by the manufacturer that his product meets the requirements of the applicable European Directive(s)." http://www.berr.gov.uk/sectors/sustainability/regulations/cemark/page11646.html

Your jacket should have TDF/DDF in the shoulders and elbows, and possibly the back, or more likely a soft foam in the back without the hard shell. It is more than likely that the TDF/DDF in a better jacket is CE approved.

Oh and check out :LOL: http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesTitle/Motorcycling-For-Dummies.productCd-0470245875.html
  6. Fantastic, I am so going to the bookshop tomorrow :D
  7. Enjoy. Most of the books are American, so you have to transpose the Roadcraft from left hand drive to right hand drive. Have a look for UK, Oz or South African titles.
  8. There is no Australian standard. CE standards are it.

I specifically purchased a $500 Shift jacket over an $800 A* because the Shift had CE certified armour while the A* did not. Salesguy argued 'well the A* is better protection because it costs more' or similar but he's either ignorant and talking shit or he wants the higher commish.

There are EN CE standards for all forms of motorcycle protective gear _including_ jackets themselves (covers stitch type and quality, abrasive resist etc). Personally I wouldn't buy anything without it.
  9. Errr no. If it doesn't specifically claim CE compliance it never is. CE compliance, like AS1698, is a standards certification process and thus costs $ to gain. Someone upthread mentioned TigerAngel. It's interesting to note that their stuff is _not_ CE approved (I specifically asked and received no reply).

As to hard vs soft, there's no way to tell for most people which will be more protective. That's why we have CE standards. If you have TDF and hard armour jackets, both of which claim CE shoulder and elbow protection, both pass that specific CE standard and thus both will give you at least that amount of protection. The only way to tell which is "better" would be independant testing (don't listen to what the manufacturer says - it's mostly marketing).

MCCNSW has some great info on what to look for in Motorcycle gear, both from a 'protection from injury' aspect as well as 'protection from the elements'. See ( http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/93.html ) for a list of CN standards and ( http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/11.html ) for the clothing website.
  10. Sorry for the poor wording I can see how someone might misinterpret it. I meant to convey that: the armour in a better jacket is more likely to be CE approved than not CE approved. Have edited previous post to say that.
  11. sounds like your planning on stacking it??? :shock:
  12. This is true :) though note my example of the $800 A* jacket. Ultimately one needs to look for the CE tag. Assuming that a $1000 jacket has CE armour can be... suboptimal
  13. :roll:

What's that saying? Plan for the slide not for the ride? No-one plans on crashing and yet it continues to happen. :?
  14. Being realistic...I'm a learner, I'm likely to stack! Would rather be overprotected and not need it than be underprotected and need it.
  15. I bought a Dririder Jewel jacket, ripped out the back protecting foam, and use a hard shell back protector instead.

When buying a jacket, I take my back protector with me to ensure that it fits under the jacket comfortably.

The jacket is great... I usually feel the cold, yet I am never cold when wearing the jewel jacket. Definitely recommend it.
  16. Liz De Rome is working on a "Good Gear Guide" for the Australian Motorcycle Council. It is in draft form at the moment so should be out in the next month or two. It looks pretty good.
  17. I've recently been thinking about getting one of these to wear under my jacket.

Anyone tried one?
  18. They look cool. I think I'd need a bigger jacket though :(
  19. I have no idea about the difference in classifications........all i know is mines an A* with CE shoulders and elbows and removable back.
    The thing is with jackets and other protective gear the armour IS important but just because a $50 jacket has the 'same or better' CE armour as a $1000 jacket wont necessarily offer same protection cause of things like stitching and materials used........the cheaper jacket might tear and expose skin..........then again it might not.........but personally i wouldnt wanna find out