Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Arizona citizens don't appreciate highway speed cameras

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Feb 20, 2010.

1. http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and-world/la-na-traffic-cameras20-2010feb20,0,814120.story

Love the bit about hoping to rake in a proposed $338 million for the budget... revenue raising much?

2. At least their speed cameras are triggered on a reasonable tolerance - 11 mph or over which equates to 17.7 km/h. I'd have less of an issue getting done by a camera for that much over the speed limit than, say, 64 in a 60 zone.

But it's good to see the people up in arms about it...and there's no bones there about them being simply for revenue is there! lol

3. They don't get points and it doesn't affect their insurance. I could almost live with that if it was implemented over here, as long as the fines weren't too ridiculous.

Better yet, if that was implemented here there could be no argument that it was anything other than revenue raising, and so we could challenge the whole scam on that basis.

If I was an independently wealthy man I might lead such a revolt locally, encouraging everyone to have their day in court. But without independent means it just wouldn't be possible.

4. Is Arizona the same state where a mobile speed camera operator got killed on the job? They're much more committed than us :(

5. more 'it's ok to break the law to change the law' in the world's greatest democracy

6. 'it's ok to break the law to change the law'

Good law's reflect the standards of the community.
    Bad laws do not.

If a democratic society rejects a law, then that law has no right to exist in the first place.

... and yes of course, we don't know if the all important majority dislike the speed cameras. Their government didn't ask them before installing them: so why would they ask now?