Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Argh, I'm being converted!!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Jun 22, 2008.

1. I just arrived home with a new computer, and all the way back from Sydney, I'm wondering how the bloke who built it, tested it, and how long it was going to take to set it up and configure it.

So I fire it up and lo and behold, it is already installed, with Ubuntu 8.04 Linux. Oh well, might as well poke around. Hit the Firefox button and in a split-second, I'm on Google. That can't be right, I haven't set it up yet; probably cached from when Peter ran it up, right?
    No, because I type in netrider.net.au and before I can look away to tell Mrs Hornet "WOW", up comes Netrider. I haven't configured anything; and it's already found my two network Windows machines into the bargain.

This isn't fair; how am I going to whinge about freeware OSs when they are this good?

The only glitch is that it has an nVidia MP61(V) video card but I can't get to to go higher than 800x600; drivers needed I guess.

Might partition the drive and keep this as well as installing windoze :LOL:.
  2. yeh if you're looking for something significant to whinge about... that might be it :LOL: :LOL:
  3. ..that, and the fact that firefox keeps crashing :LOL:.
  4. nVidia are notoriously problematic as they won't release their specs and as such you have to rely on the nVidia provided drivers or open source ones that are based on guesswork...

Or it may have gotten better since I last had one, with linux I just found it easier to steer clear of them.
  5. mmm found exactly that when I went to their web-site :roll:

I'm going to set it up as a Windows machine, but I'm going to re-partition the drive when it's done and re-install Ubuntu, just to have a play with it....
  6. .and you talk about computers? That's not what I was expecting...........

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :oops: :oops: :oops:
  7. Iv never really been a big fan of any Linux product untill I started uni in Business I.T.

I was so used to Windows that i didnt want to leave my comfort zone. Im sure this is also the case with most people out there but once you get used to it its actually pretty amazing how much it shyts all over windows. The best part is that its free!
  8. I thought you'd turned athiest!!! :shock: :shock: :LOL:
  9. :rofl:

Linux isn't bad at all for businuss style thingies... I'm a gamer, so I'll stick to the more widely supported platform for now :)

That and I dont have to re-compile my kernel if i need to install a driver ;) :LOL:
  10. I thought he'd joined the Ulysses club and bought a 650 Burgman :LOL:.
  11. And here I was thinking he'd just discovered p0rn :LOL:
  12. Converted, not Perverted ;).
    Unless he's suddenly into prison p0rn :LOL:.
  13. We are penguin. You will be assimilated.
  14. No wonder Mr Gates is hitting Ctrl + Alt + Del on Friday.
    Look what you've done now Paul.
  15. Why do people get all evangelical about an OS?

I use Vista, XP, 2000, 2003, so definitely more familiar with MS platforms. But Linux has its place and is a great tool for some users, just as a Mac is an awesome tool for others. If I could justify spending the cash, I'd have a Mac tomorrow just for their design features.

It's just an OS...
  16. Honeymoon's over, I recant :(

Firefox wouldn't stay running; as soon as I switched back to the home page, it crashed.

But on the other side, seven unsuccessful attempts to get Windows to install and run, with at least double that amount of different error messages, has me sending the machine back to the maker for some urgent and serious surgery

DON'T watch this space :LOL:.