Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"are you still riding that thing, I thought you would have grown out of it by now"

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nobby, Oct 4, 2011.

1. I wasn't going to post this as I thought it might be just another one of those "riding is too ****ing dangerous" threads.

My wife and I attended a family birthday in Ringwood on Sunday and as the sun was out and my wife wanted to hit the local market before going there, I decided to hop on the bike and go for a ride before meeting up with her for lunch with family.

What a bloody disaster, my wife and I reckon everybody is aging twice as fast as we are, my brother in law who I swear was born wearing a beige cardigan and smoking a pipe bored me to tears with talk of superannuation and how much he has lost and my sister's first words to me when I walked into the house with my jacket and helmet was, "are you still riding that thing, I thought you would have grown out of it by now" needless to say it was a fun afternoon, I hung around for about an hour and pulled the old, it looks like rain I better head home.

Funny thing is riding home I got to thinking about all the bloody good times I've had both on the bike and off it with bike mates.

My first ride, first WSB and first GP, first spill, first rally (that was a bit hard to remember) riding home to Sale on a Sunday night after partying all weekend in Melbourne, 3hrs sleep and on parade for Monday morning.

My sons first ride (at 10 yrs of age) on my old XT250, me renewing my licence and my son getting his first licence on the same day, our first ride on the GOR, my son as Ride leader and me as TEC, (there was only the two of us) the look on my grandsons face the first time I sat him on the tank and tootled up the street. The look on his grandmothers face when he told her what I did. 8-[

Then there's those contemplative rides when it's just you and the bike and the road, even riding to work is fun, riding home is better though. This place, you guys.

Man there is no way in Dog's little green acre I will ever give this up and my sister and her boring old man can kiss my arse.
    • Like Like x 26
  2. I can relate to pretty-much all of that.
  3. Amen nobby!

Nobby try having a uncle who is a TAC investigator, a brother in law who is a copper, and a friend who is an engineer for Vicroads. Im screwed.
  4. and not in a good !!!!!!...
  5. No more than all those people who say "My so and so is a such and such in the Emergency Department, and if you saw what she had to see..." I know what she sees - people killed, mangled, suffering, stuffed up or just sore. I'm really not so dumb that I can't imagine that. Indeed my mind has surveyed the risks more than the smug mug lecturing me...because I'm the one riding! But what about the stuff which that person who sees all the bad outcomes fails to see? Like those values that exist beyond the concerns of an emergency ward surgeon or road safety bureucrat? For instance existential values - life lived in surround-sound, HD, and offering all the stuff that only comes with the acceptance of risk, danger, and a lack of comfort - offered through a particular dangerous way, which for a workmate is travelling alone in strange far-out places, for my Dad is trecking for weeks into the Tasmanian wilderness on survival rations, and for me is riding a motorcycle as much as I can (which sounds pretty tame by comparison!). But once again, those who worship Health and Safety, the new morality, can't see past their dogma. They want a world of kitsch: where only the acceptable and pleasant may abide. All that threatens their kitsch world must be banned. And done so through their petty moral admonition, relaying on the assumption that your thinking is as superficial as thiers (well, mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself).

I'm familiar with your scenario Nobby. I always enjoy reminding them of the inescapable fact of their death.
    • Like Like x 8
  6. The reason I started riding was so id enjoy going to work, not just coming home.

Ok so more to it then that, but that was a thought in my mind lol.
  7. If you didn't post it you would suck, and I'd call you on it. But then I wouldn't know would I? But you know I would so that's good enough for me.

Pure gold.

I'm currently breaking in a new Doctor at the moment, she's lovely but naive. I glossed over my medical history but she still felt compelled to tell me the evils of motorcycling anyway bless her. I simply looked her in the eyes and said eighteen years I've been riding and you want to try and talk me out of it now?

Then she told me I'm due for a prostrate examination. Motorcyclists - Always getting it in the :busting:
  8. If that person saw what his partner sees then he'd realise that a lot of us in healthcare ride.

We see the consequences or having a bad off and we still ride. It's like some of these people think motorcyclists just never realised that they may get injured. They tell you about whatever horrendous crash their friend of a friend had as if you never knew that you might get hurt if you fall off your bike.
  9. Thanks guys, nice read. I can also relate to most of that.
  10. Been putting up with that shit for forty years now.

Interestingly enough, at a recent family wedding (nephew getting married) my wife and I were the only ones of our vintage that could relate to the younger ones, and the only ones they have confided in, come to for advice, and help, and that they appear to be comfortable around. They have become our peers, not the other way round.

We were very happy with that outcome, and have no plans to be old just yet.

My body may be old and broken, but I remain young at heart.

FYI, all the big ticket items still get looked after, house, investments, super, grandkids etc, but is sometimes nice to have a 'character flaw'
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I know what you mean, Nobby, but it's not always like that

My brother had his big accident nearly a year ago, but to the best of my memory, none of my friends or family have ever mentioned it in terms of whether or not I should still be riding

Mrs Hornet does say 'be careful' a bit more often, but that's to be expected :LOL:
  12. I'm one of the lucky ones - my wife used to ride but stopped for health reasons (including balance and eyesight problems).

She also encouraged my daughter to get her licence. My brother in law rides although he fell off a lot in his younger days - he used to do the Eagle on the Hill to Lobethal Sunday rides with the Phoenix club in Adelaide, there's a lot of corners with his name on them on that road.

My brother rides and my sister used to. I've had very little flak from family over the years - I do have a friend who's an engineer who keeps saying how dangerous it all is - he almost went into meltdown when his wife bought a bicycle.
  13. Engineers are like that :-s
  14. There ya go mate. Biking soothes the soul. And great that your misses is in on it with you.

15. ANyone but a relative and you could have replied with "Well I tried riding your mom but she doesn't have the same acceleration".
    • Like Like x 1
  16. My wife has a split personality - she's wary due to safety and says to be careful as my kids need a Dad, but quite likes bikes (and even went out with Peter Goddard a few times in the mid-80s before I met her).
  17. I had my 21st on the weekend with family friends around and all that jazz and I got the same thing.

"So are you still a temporary Australian?" - Family Friend
    "Yep, so are you." - Me
    "Oh" - Family Friend

The worst part is she used to ride motorbikes...
  18. I told a guy I work with the other day that my wife just got her MC L's. His comment was, "do you want to leave 5 orphans?" (yes, we have 5 kids). I was so close to punching him in the mouth.

I'm lucky with family tho. Dad used to ride back in the day, mum loves MC's (although, she does worry a bit for me), sister likes them (her hubby rides), my brother wants to get a bike too now that he's seen me riding one. I have a bunch of aunty's etc who are nurses who have talked to me about wearing decent gear (they've seen all the trauma stuff too) but other than that, they've been good about it. It's mostly "other" people that make comments etc.
  19. Its all about social norms, safe and snug.
    I ride bikes and play COD on XBOX and at 57 I seen as a big kid, stiff shit.
  20. I had similar "i dont want our kid growing up with out a mum" My response "So its ok for them to be without their dad?"

His response "yeah but I dont crash" The next 2 weeks we spent in hospital repairing his broken bones -.-

Anything in life is potentially dangerous, bloody getting out of bed in the morning is dangerous!