Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Are these lams approved (victoria)?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Mendy, Oct 27, 2008.

1. The 2 suzukis look they would be learner legal.
    I'm surprised that i have never seen them on the road as they look really good for such a price. Both 500, (plenty of oompth) for beginners looking for something rather than hyo250, kwaka250, and would be bigger than similar 250's.
    They look nice, they are from known company, and are quite nice for something bigger than 250 but still tame.
    So my question is, why have i not seen these before? (maybe both new models)??

2. sure are. but if you want more ooomph you could have my lams 800. yours for a bargain :wink:

they werent widley bought in vic before lams came in. give it time and everyone will be on them
  3. Mendy, the GS500 has been around almost unchanged for over 20 years. Yes, they're a good lams option (I'm biased, I've got one!). Not fast, but fast enough to cope with freeway speeds and/or pillion without struggling. Also easy to maintain with 2 cylinders and a total of 4 valves. I get about 4l/100km.
  4. That's the naked version. The fairing version is more recent and came out about 5 years ago so there's less of them around.

I'm also a biased GS500 owner happy to give it the thumbs up for a LAMS bike and echo the mole's thoughts on the bike plus add they have a good reputation for reliability.
  5. Yes naked version has been around since yonks - owned one and was very happy with it too. I think you'll find that there are HEAPS of current or ex-GS 500 owners here who are very happy with it. For what it is, it's a great bike.

sblack - I thought the faired version has been around longer than 5 years? Ie. in the US I think the naked ones are not popular whilst the faired ones have been on the scene for long?
  6. ok, thanx for the answers.
    but one more thing, i currently have no bike (no liscence yet (its killing me), but i have had a little experience with the madass 125 and small trailbikes. Would it be a descent option for a learner???
    I know, i know, it is up to the rider to chose if a bike is dangerous and such, but would the naked be a fair bike for learner. Eg. cheap to maintain, behaves well, good on fuel, etc, etc.
    thanx in advance
  7. All my searching seams to indicate the GS500F first appeared in 2004. That's agreed upon by redbook, bikez.com, wikipedia and google searches on gs500f history. My searching did find that in America they stopped selling the naked version a year before that unlike here where they're still selling the naked along side the F.

Mendy: I have no hesitation in recommending it as a learner bike. My wife had never ridden before her Ls course and had only done a few rides on a GN250 before stepping up to the GS and she had no problems with it.

Maintenance wise it's a pretty simple bike, making it cheap to maintain. I don't know about factory servicing costs as i do my own servicing but parts are no more expensive than for a 250cc.

Fuel consumption of around 4L/100km as mentioned by the mole in a previous post is pretty normal. By comparison when I had a ZZR250 I got about 3.5.

And as for 'behaves well' I'm guessing you mean how hard is it to ride for a learner. Personally I think it's quite a learner friendly bike. The power may be a bit more than many of the 250s but it's still not a high power bike that's going to have you accidentally lifting the front wheel or lighting up the rear. In fact the small trail bikes you've been riding are probably much more likely to pop up the front and throw you off the back. It's also not dramatically quicker to a 250cc bike. You'll find most of the 250cc sportsbikes offer similar acceleration if you're riding the bikes to the limits. The difference is they'll be revving twice as high to do it. The main difference to the 250s is the increased torque, which I believe makes the bike easier to ride because it increases the choice of which gear to be in and isn't affected as much by an incorrect gear choice. Also means you're sitting at lower revs for a given speed which i find makes riding, especially on a highway, more pleasant.

One thing you will find going from trail bikes to whatever road bike you choose is that the change in riding position will give a very different feeling to the bike, especially how it corners. It shouldn't take long to get used to but will feel a bit weird at first.
  8. whether the f only came out 5 years ago or not makes no difference, they have the same frame same motor, all that has changed is the wack some brackets on covered it in more plastic, and changed the bar mounted mirrors

it's the same bike with or without the fairings
  9. No argument there. The reason I brought up the 5 year things is the original poster is commenting on numbers of the bikes he sees on the road and obviously the length of time a particular bike has been on the market will influence it's numbers on the road.
  10. ok, Does anyone know the price for both??
    Also, i'm taking an 'intelligent' guess they handle the same etc, but f model bit more to repair if scratched. Is f model less suited for touring or would it make no diffrence at all. The
    Sorry guys, just want to know the potential/diffrences of each one.
  11. tanx a million !!
  12. Mendy there's nothing wrong with a kawa250. i love my zzr. yeah ok some extra power would be nice now and then but then again i got it for commuting and fuel effecincy not power.

think about what purpose you want the bike for then buy the bike that fits that purpose. Also you'll need to test a few out. even if you cant ride them, you'll need to sit on a few to see if you feel comfotrable on them. I much prefer the way my zzr feels to the cbr250. personal preferance.

Also not to doubt anyone's advice but as to whether they are LAMS compliant, why not check the Vicroads LAMS listing?
  13. The benefits of a fairing are improved aerodynamics giving a slight increase in top speed and slightly better fuel economy. Notice that it will only be slight and hardly worth considering. The bigger benefit is that you can tuck in to get out of the wind/cold. For this reason a faired version would be a better choice for touring.

The disadvantages are increased cost for repairs and therefore increased insurance cost if you're looking at comprehensive insurance. Also increased servicing costs as you need to pay for the labour of removing and replacing the fairing to get in and do the servicing unless you choose to remove the fairing yourself before taking it in for the service.
  14. the ergo's of the two bikes are exactly the same obviously with the exception that the f is faired and has some wind protection where the naked doesn't, uses the same bars everything, the f just has extra brackets bolted to the frame for the fairing, and there is only 6kgs difference between the two