Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Are the Jap bike builders copycats?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ceebee, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Sorry if this has been posted before, but i was wondering how the japanese motorcycle builders can get away with copying (or trying to... :roll: ) the appearance of Harleys? I mean, what is stopping Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Company from suing the bejesus out of the nippons for copying their traditional-look motorcycles? Lately there have been a plague of later model bikes that, when they pass me, i cant help wondering "Was that a Harley or a japanese wanna-be?" Only when i listen to the exhaust note can i tell the difference, but on sight alone, it is getting a little more difficult. For example, Suzuki have a new bike out called the M109 or something like that, and viewing this huge bike from the side, you cant help thinking "Oh that's definitely a Harley!", but you need to look closer to realise that, no it isnt a harley.

2. Japanese manufacturers arnt copying Harley-Davidson, that's just how cruisers are meant to look like. :p
  3. Why should Harley care (as they obviously don't)? Have you ever heard the proverb, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"??

{Have a guess how many Jap cruisers come home on the back of a ute :wink:!!}
  4. As hornet said, why would harley care?

Its not about the bikes, its about the label.

5. And the billions of dollars they make from brand-name accessories and clothing.....
  6. Harley even tried to patent their "sound" remember.

Considering it isn't even "their" sound anyway (other people had 45 degree v twins before HD) that shows the levels that they will stoop to.

Harley davidson are primarily a clothing badge manufacturing company anyway, not a motorcycle company......
  7. The fact Harley Davidson copied it from Indian. Even pinched the v-twin too.
  8. M109 doesn't even look like a harley.
  9. What's to stop Triumph suing The Japs for the W650, or the Japs suing Buell for the sport bike???

It's just a cruiser...
  10. when i saw a skinny harley, i thought 'hey that ain't look like a harley (fake!)'
  11. phizog wrote

actually, harley davidson is an ENGINE type more than it is anything else. when you buy a harley, you're buying an engine.

if the ENGINE was coppied, there would be hell to pay.

cheers :cool:
  12. Sure would! Imagine all those poor people who bought the copy, and realised how gutless it was! :LOL:

Regards, Andrew.
  13. The Japanese manufacturers would love to have an engine that produces bulk noise without that pesky side-effect called horsepower.
  14. It's impossible to copyright an idea (or, by extrapolation, a concept).
  15. You don't think of the S&S engine as a Harley copy engine?

It's a bolt in Hi-Performance replacement that looks the same...

I would have thought that qualified as a copy *shrug*.
  16. It's impossible to copyright an idea (or, by extrapolation, a concept).
  17. If you can't tell the difference between a Jap cruiser & a Harley, you aren't looking hard enough. A simple look at the front checking for a radiator is usually the dead giveaway. Other things like blinker placement, shaft drive, tranny location, pushrods etc etc.
    But yes, the cruisers are seeking to capture that Harley look, but in a modern kinda way.
  18. Okay this should be interesting. Let's play "spot the Harley"

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Bonus points for identifying the other two, and for picking which one came first ;).
  19. OMG this is lame... :roll:
    i buy a bike cause i want that bike not cause of the badge or what its copied
    i ride a big v-twin and it sounds nothing like a harley...
    and if i had a chance yeah i would own a harley and i would also take a m109 as well...
    mate it dosnt matter who is copying who.. all that matter is you are happy with what you ride...