Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

are tackomiters short one 0

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by OG, Nov 8, 2007.

1. It struck me that the spedo should probably have a extra 0
    Ks.
    with the across when i hit 100thou k its going to reset to 0 kilometers i guess ill sell it when it goes back to 0

so its on 14k atm other than looking at rust how you tell when it klicks over from 99,999k

2. Not tacho, odo.

3. Just to clarify, it's neither a "tackomiter" (aka Tachometer), nor a "spedo" (aka Speedometer). Tacho's measure engine revolutions per minute, Speedo's measure speed. What you're looking at is the Odometer, which measures distance travelled.

Now, I've no idea why they don't have as many zeros as cars do. Might be because bikes tend to have a shorter lifespan than cars, and generally don't make it that far. Once they hit 99,999, they go back to zero and start counting again.

When you look at a bike, you can generally tell if it's got a genuine 5,000km or it it's actually 105,000km. Age of the bike is the first thing to pick up on. Next, look at the pedal rubbers, grips, switches, etc.; All the things that get a lot of use.

4. yeah just thought it was odd, as my first bike after i had it for a day or so i almost had a heart attack - thought it was on 140,000k

just thought id ask if there was any reason bikes with over 100,000 arnt uncommon

yeah lol i forgot the correct term

thanks

5. Aside from crashes, it's about how well they're looked after, too. I know a guy in the States with over 150,000 MILES (approx 240,000km) on his bike! :shock:

6. that many ks is very possible on a bmw or similar. most bikes get much more wear and tear than cars. the forces on bike frames, engines etc are much higher than on cars. so like anything they will fatigue and fail sooner than a car. take my bike as an example of when 100,000 is uncommon. my boss's bmw k1100 has 180,000.

7. question is could your boss with 180k on it replace $1000 worth of stuff and pass it off as 80k thats what i thought a little wierd about it

8. Yeah I dont think a lot of bikes were made to last 100,000+
    Its funny when we are working on trucks, they go upto 999,999 but a lot of trucks these days could easily have 2,000,000 k's.

9. how do you figure that?

They need maintenance sure, but that isn't "not made for it" by a long shot.

The biggest reason is that people just don't ride em very far and after 10/20 years either just want something new or the rubber bits, wiring harness etc just rots and falls apart through neglect. There are plenty of examples of courier bikes (Stan from the UK is a GREAT example) with hundreds of thousands of miles on them. They range from cb500's to vfr's, old suzi GS things, diversions, FJ series yams, yada yada.

Not built for it my arse!

10. It's not that they aren't built to last but that they're not expected to be ridden/owned for that long since in many parts of the world there's strict controls over emissions of older vehicles, and/or new bikes are actually quite cheap (unlike here). The Japanese don't even have a 100,000 digit on a lot of their domestic market cars for the same reason.

11. actually i think you probably hit it on the head there ,
    the answer is because there made in japan and the chances of them getting that high or being expected to get that high is low , does not mean there not easily able to go that long just i bet not many get that high in japan before they get retired

12. If you're asking if you can do 100k more kms and then pretend it has low kms - then no. Say you average 20k a year, it'll take you 5 years to get it to clock over, and after that much riding it will be more than obvious that its done ALOT of kms (thats assuming the engine hasn't blown up by that point).

13. That's true. Where it gets trickier though is picking the difference between a 15 year old bike with 50,000 and one with 150,000. Sometimes the higher mileage bike can be the one that looks the best since a lot of components may have been replaced out of necessity (levers, shift lever/footpeg rubbers, etc.).

14. Ya, thats why service history plays a good role in sussing things out - the dates specifically.

15. don't pay attention to it, farking kids and their know it all attitudes

16. Try telling that to this F4i owner (oh, and it's in miles):

3rdGenSignatureBanner.

17. :LOL:
    (Sorry, gramps :))

From anecdotal evidence that I have heard, Falcodores are designed with an expected service life of 200,000. I would believe that there would be a finite life, but to have a bike last to 100+ without a rebuild, new motor, new bearings everywhere, etc. says somthing about the build quality.

Does anyone have any figures on kays out of an original, late-model CBZXGSXRRRR?

Would imagine that they'd be pulling a design safety factor of about 1, with all the material they scratch off to get the weight down...