Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Are some tyres more or less puncture prone than others?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by the_blacke, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Back when I was riding a pushy I had 4 punctures in 2 weeks and replaced my tyres with kevlar lined ones designed for commuting, and never had another puncture since.

Since one of my brothers is either generating his own magnetic field or is secretly practicing stunting in a building recycling lot, he has collected 3 punctures in as many months - 2 in the same day!!

Are there any tyres that are designed to be more puncture resistent than others? Or can anyone offer any advice or suggestions other than to stop spinning up the rear wheel so much that it becomes an electro-magnet?
  2. #2 ShinobiWan, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Can I just say, not happy Jan. Beautiful new Road Pilot 3 on the rear that I have been really happy with, a mere 300kms or so on it and bam, another bloody nail. :s

How reliable/realistic is it to repair a tyre, as opposed to replacing? I'll probably wind up replacing again, as I figure ones tyres are pretty important to ones safety ,on a bike, but if I'm being over-cautious feel free to let me know folks. :)

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650L.
  3. So long as the nail goes straight through in the centre section of the tyre, a mushroom plug type repair (done properly ) will be fine.

What cannot be repaired is when the sidewall or the out 1/3 of the tread is punctured.
  4. #4 ShinobiWan, Jul 7, 2012
    Cool, this is a straight puncture pretty much dead in the middle. Annoying though, as the tyre was fantastic when I did a Stay Upright course last Sunday in the rain. :)

5. It will still be the same tyre after being plugged.

I've done a track day on a plugged tyre in the past, and then used it for another 5000 or so kms.
  6. #6 ShinobiWan, Jul 7, 2012
    Cheers. :)

7. Steel belted radials have better resistance to punctures than standard radial tyres and in both cases maintaining correct air pressure improves puncture resistance as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. picked up this bad boy last week :

shame I did not know about Pilot Road 3 being out as I replaced the tire with same one I had before (pilot road 2) ... cant believe the bike shop did not recommend the new one. oh well ...
  9. Might be worth checking with the provider if they allow plugged tyres before you pay for any track days or circuit based courses. Some don't.
  10. When I have had them professionally done I can't find the plug.
  11. To answer the OP's question, in my experience a NEW tyre is about 10-times more likely to be punctured than an old one.
    • Like Like x 1