Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Are side mount number plates legal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by crackajack, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Hi all,
    Are Side mount number plates legal?
    Some say yes, Some Say No. Even some cops are indifferent.
    Is it just an interpretation or an actual law?
    Cheers
    CJ

2. No.

ADRs (Edit - regulations) require the plate to be clearly visible from 45 degrees from both sides and above. Plate also has to have the number/text horizontal.

3. What are ADR's?

4. You sure it's the ADRs? ISTR, from my time in the WA Dept of Transport, it was somewhere obscure like the Licensing Regs, a State based requirement rather than a Federal one, and so might vary between States. Doesn't invalidate your basic point though.

Regardless, I see an awful lot of boat trailers (and a few other trailers) that break this one by having the plate mounted vertically on the RH mudguard.

Personally, I'd probably risk running a side mount plate but I wouldn't whine about it if nailed for it.

5. In Victoria: DIvision 5 Section 48 Road Safety Vehicles Regulations 2009

(1) The registered operator of a vehicle must ensure each number plate issued
    by the Corporation for the vehicle is permanently affixed to the vehicle so
    that, when the vehicle is on level ground-

(a) the number plate is at all times in an upright position parallel to
    the vehicle's axles; and

(b) the number plate is at all times not more than 1×3 metres above ground
    level; and

(c) for a motor cycle, the centre of the number plate is at all times at
    least 30 centimetres above ground level; and

(d) the number or letters, or both, on the number plate are clearly
    visible from a distance of 20 metres from the number plate at any
    point within the space produced by a horizontal arc of 90 degrees and
    a vertical arc of 45 degrees, as indicated by the shaded areas in
    figures 5 and 6; and

(e) any cover on the number plate-

(i) is clear, clean, untinted and flat over its entire surface; and

(ii) has no reflective or other characteristics that would prevent the
    successful operation of a device approved for use under a law relating
    to the detection of traffic offences; and

(f) for a motor vehicle other than a motor cycle, one number plate is
    affixed to the front of the vehicle and another to its rear; and

(g) for a motor cycle or trailer, the number plate is affixed to the rear
    of the motor cycle or trailer.

(2) The requirements in subregulations (1)(a) to (d) do not apply to a number
    plate for a vehicle if-

(a) due to the construction of the vehicle it is not practicable to comply
    with the requirements; and

(b) the number plate is affixed in a way that complies as far as
    practicable with the requirements.

(3) If a vehicle is fitted with a bicycle carrier, the number plate required
    under subregulation (1)(f) to be fitted to the rear of the vehicle may instead
    be securely affixed to the bicycle carrier.

6. Well, this definition is obviously impossible to meet.

An arc of 90 degrees in the horizontal direction of a flat plane being the face of the registration plate, results in you see a straight line, being the edge of the rego plate.

There is absolutely NO WAY that the numbers/letter can be "clearly visible" from 90 degrees side-on. This is a physical impossibility by mathematical definition.

7. I think you'll find a 90 degree arc means 45 degrees from directly behind in either direction, 45 + 45 = 90 but I did go to St albans Tech so I could be wrong :D

8. Depends if they mean 90 degrees from the perpendicular, in either direction, or a 90 degree arc in total. It is ambiguously worded, and if it were 90 degrees total, then it'd be legal to only have, say, 5 degrees visible to the left and 85 degrees to the right, thereby negating the effectiveness of many road-side cameras. I guess the mentioned diagrams would make it more clear, but I went to the site and didn't see any diagrams.

9. Downloading the RTF format, the diagrams are there.

To be more specific, the number plate must be visible at angle of up to 45 degrees from the horizontal axis drawn level with the height of the plate in the direction of vehicle travel, in the left, right, and upwards directions.

That's what the diagrams show. That's not what the wording states though.

10. Forget the text

The nice policeman said to me. I don't care what the ADR requirements state. You can't have your plate there so put it back where it was when you get home, and that I did!

Motorbike cop he was, and a very nice fellow too