Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ARE people trying to make me crash into them??

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Sweeris, Nov 6, 2007.

1. I kinda have to vent this abit. Over the last week I've been pretty much riding everyday. I found that every second day something bad was gonaa happen to me and my bike (and barely got away with it).

First one, I know this ine was my fault. I was going through mornington penisula at 60kph and I was looking for a servo. The next thing I saw when I looked forward was a red light 15-20m away (I think). I jumped on both brakes at the same time. I stalled my engine staright away. So I let go of the back brake and clutch in and reapply the rear and still locking up. Still hard on the front brakes I went over the line and stopped in the middle of the perdestrain walk lines. And annoyingly I stopped for 2 secs and the lights turned green..... :cry:

The second one, two days after, I was heading home at 2am crusing at 65kph with no cars around. A cager just turned in front of me from a side street without looking. He was less than 15m away. I jumped hard on the front brakes and swerve at the last second to avoid him. I went up to the driver side and kinda showed him how un-happy I was and he appologised(at least).

Third one. This one I just avoided a accident which unfolded infront of me...I was going up warrigal road heading north. I was in the 2lane section. At the time I'm in the right lane. I looked over a few cars infront of me and saw he was going to turn right. So I changed in to the left lane. As soon as i'm in the left lane(about a cars length from the car infront). 4 cars infront slams on the brakes to try and turn into the servo. I could see the first car that slamed on the brakes and I slowed down straight away. I saw the 3 cars infront of me rear ended each other. By this time I was hard on my brakes. (I know im at the limit of my back brakes as it was shatering). I stopped about 2feet from the car infront. I slowly changed to the right lane and slowly went passed them. I was on my way after that(I was late for class)...

I dont know if its just me or not. The 3 incidents were only in 5days of each other. I was just wondering if other riders have to face the same thing when they're riding... Sorry if it was abit long...

2. SOunds to me that you aren't paying enough attention in traffic, and not leaving enough buffer room. People do that shit every day, ride in anticipation or get involved.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. ^^ agreed.people get into car and turn there engine on an there brain off. Worst thing is it doesnt matter how stupid there mistake was you will come off second best. take care and stay rubber side down
  4. learn to try and read the traffic helps a lot when riding a bike and pay more attention to your surroundings

cheers stewy :)
  5. "Rarely is the question asked... Is our children learning?"
    George W. Bush.
  6. I agree it seems to be an observation thing. The first incident is obviously a case of you not being aware of the lights.
    The second - well given that it was at night, maybe you should have noticed the car. The headlights should have been on, should have given you a clue that it was coming, or slowing to turn or something. If no lights and no movement, well, maybe there was no real warning but I doubt it.
    The third one - sh!t happens. You just need to give yourself as much buffer as possible but at least you saw that one coming.
    I think you will eventually learn to pick up the visual clues a bit earlier, but until then you need to be actively scanning the area around you for potential problems, and getting into the habit of preparing for the worst before it happens.
    After a while (year or two) it will become automatic, but until then you have to work at it.
  7. First of all, you are responsible for your saftey on a bike!
    Ride with enough reaction space and safety space to ensure your survival. Unfortunately riding on roads does not always mean being able to do the speed limit, as you need to factor in a lot of unknowns.

Know at what speeds your bike can brake quickly without locking up, and always cover your brake and back of on the speed when approaching intersections.

Whilst its not fool proof, it is a much better way to survive.
  8. Pro-pilot is right...you have to ensure your own safety...Other than that...your mishaps to a certain extent are all just a part of riding....your job is to minimize the risks as much as possible.
    You will get better at it with time in the saddle, so keep your wits about you. :)
  9. First post :cool:

Back in the third country (read Indonesia) where YOU always at fault, you have to learn to take care of yourself.
    - Expect potholes
    - Expect tricycles riding AGAINST the traffic
    - See no 2, but with NO light at NIGHT.
    - No such thing as "Give Way", it is who get to the intersection first.
    - What lanes?
    - No speed limit (don't mind this one though) :p

When you get used to that kind of traffic, then you moved to sydney :LOL:
  10. Sounds like you're going through a time of inattentiveness with a touch of bad luck for being about in those times. Could you be a little exhausted and distracted with your studies? It's exam time, right?

When you sit on your bike, before taking off... 5-10 seconds to take a deep breath to say "this is now my focus" probably won't make you later at all, and could very well save you from a bingle (and bingles make you really late).
  11. I probably have a bad week.... I havnt had any of those things happen before or after that week.

You're right, It's exam week and I have a lot of things to do...(inclu. study)

Other than that I do think the first and second incident were mostly my fault as I wasnt paying attention. For the third one, I dont really know when people are going to slam on their brakes randomly(but I think thats why we have to leave space). Luckily I had enough room that time.
  12. 1st 1, inatentiveness, agreed. ive done it too :) boy it wakes u up, lol.

2nd 1, wats with all this 'your fault'?? he was on the side street, its HIS job to see you. im assuming you had lights on however. i would cover the brakes in a situation like that, and watch the car's wheels not the car itself, its easier to notice the rotation before u notice the car body moving.
    but this was nto your fault. what are you supposed to do, slow down and approach the car @ 20km/h? :roll:

3rd 1, this was more your fault than the 2nd. well more 'almost' your fault. if you stopped with 2 feet to the car in front, u were clearly riding with just enough safety buffer, but a lil more might come in handy. hopefully this has opened your eyes to why you need this gap, all of the time. you never know when the car ahead or ahead of them is gonna slam on the brakes.

good luc kwith exams, and make sure u take some time out every now and again, to relax n everything :)
  13. I am still a 'newbie' and will be for quite a while. I do however ride everyday ( have been for almost 6mths now ). Some of the advice I received HERE may help you.
    This applies to " out in traffic "
    1 : FOCUS
    2: Buffer>> try to ensure you have enough room between you and the car in front to be in a postion to STOP if it were to SLAM on the brakes.
    3: FOCUS
    4: Talk to yourself. ( ie narrate the traffic conditions, expectations and cautions and you ride ) it helped me BIG TIME!
    5: FOCUS

Take Care out there
  14. I was thinking the same thing. :)
  15. sorry but the title really annoyed me so I changed it from "is" to "are"
  16. is you really getting annoyed? :wink:
  17. Is you not like Ali G Vic? Innit.

Regards, Andrew.
  18. an attitude like this is going to get you hurt one day, and it isn't a great idea to teach anyone, let alone the new riders, to expect others on the road to see them with no additional effort on their part. Lights are one thing, but the biggest thing is lateral movement in your lane and just plain slowing down and being aware that someone may just appear out of that blind side street.

Losing right of way isn't a law for a motorcyclist - it is a fact of life. You only have right of way if someone gives it to you, regardless of what the law says. It doesn't matter who was right if you're so fcuked up you can't get out of bed.
  19. :WStupid:
    Its actually YOUR job to make sure HE sees you.
    as bonox stated, its not much consolation knowing it was HIS fault, when your lying in a hospital bed .. or even worse your COFFIN !

Scan and anticipate the worst. I am no expert, just a newbie trying to stay upright.
    There is a good reason some riders are involved in accidents less often than others ( the ones that could've been avoided ) and .. its NOT luck